How do I use cache drive to replace a failed data drive remotely?

i am also wondering why the first time i ran preclear the first of 5 steps (pre-read) completed in about 2:15hrs, while this time i'm only through 20% after 1:45hrs.

here is the status after 2hrs...strange how much slower this cycle is progressing:

############################################################################################################################

#                                                                                                                          #

#                                        unRAID Server Pre-Clear of disk /dev/sdd                                          #

#                                      Cycle 1 of 3, partition start on sector 64.                                        #

#                                                                                                                          #

#  Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read in progress:                                                                      (23% Done)    #

#  ** Time elapsed: 1:59:14 | Current speed: 126 MB/s | Average speed: 99 MB/s                                            #

############################################################################################################################

#                                Cycle elapsed time: 1:59:17 | Total elapsed time: 1:59:18                                #

#                                                  S.M.A.R.T. Status                                                      #

#  ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  STATUS                                                                          #

#  5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        -                                                                                #

#  9-Power_On_Hours            12206    -                                                                                #

#  194-Temperature_Celsius      31      -                                                                                #

#  196-Reallocated_Event_Count  0        -                                                                                #

#  197-Current_Pending_Sector  2        -                                                                                #

#  198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        -                                                                                #

#  199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0        -                                                                                #

#  SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                              #

###########################################################################################################################?

well, same thing, only took twice as long...at the very end i first got these two errors:

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk.beta/script/preclear_disk.sh: line 270: echo: write error: Broken pipe

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk.beta/script/preclear_disk.sh: line 271: echo: write error: Broken pipe

before it ended with this status:

#                                        unRAID Server Pre-Clear of disk /dev/sdd                                          #

#                                      Cycle 1 of 3, partition start on sector 64.                                        #

#  Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                                                  [4:11:53 @ 198 MB/s] SUCCESS    #

#  Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing the disk:                                                          [0:00:03 @ 0 MB/s] SUCCESS    #

#  Step 3 of 5 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #

#  Step 4 of 5 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          FAIL    #

#                                  Cycle elapsed time: 4:12:46 | Total elapsed time: 4:12:47                              #

#                                                  S.M.A.R.T. Status                                                      #

#  ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  STATUS                                                                          #

#  5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        -                                                                                #

#  9-Power_On_Hours            12206    -                                                                                #

#  194-Temperature_Celsius      31      -                                                                                #

#  196-Reallocated_Event_Count  0        -                                                                                #

#  197-Current_Pending_Sector  2        -                                                                                #

#  198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        -                                                                                #

#  199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0        -                                                                                #

#  SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                              #

###########################################################################################################################?

--> FAIL: unRAID's Preclear signature not valid.

I wish it'd be that obvious a reason, testdasi, but i've been ordering WD-Green and Red drives for the past 15 years, from all over the place (Amazon, B&H, CyberPort, EggeHead) in both the USA and Germany, with no discernible commonalities (other than that they are all WD drives), so my guess is that it's a combination of bad quality and bad luck...what's worse is that WD's warranty isn't international, and that they won't swap German drives in the USA, or US drives in Germany, which makes it very difficult for someone like me who lives and works on two continents.

which drives do you use/recommend? I might have to start looking elsewhere and slowly start swapping out drives, one by one, to another manufacturer.

I use WD RED allmost exclusively and have never had one fail..

You should get warranty from the company you bought the drives from, not from WD directly (they could do that but are not obliged, the seller who sold you the drives is..)

Helmonder, I should have kept better track of which drive i purchased from whom...you may be right about your suggestion, especially since i always purchase my drives with my VISA Business card, which doubles the warranty and usually helps out when vendors refuse to honor their promises/warranty...but i have not, so when i have more time i'll have to research this a bit.

what's more disconcerting to me is why my system produces so many bad drives when yours clearly does not...maybe there is something fundamentally broken in the hardware of my data-pathways which causes this behavior...i swapped out all of my drive cages after some damage to the previous ones, but maybe the culprit is somewhere else...i am due for a complete hardware rebuild, so I hope to get through with this system until then.

As you also well know, Helmonder, there are so many potential causes that could be responsible for drive corruption, that I will most likely have to rebuild my system from the ground up...i'm still on 2009 technology (mobo, CPY, etc.), so I have been planning on upgrading to something more current, which can also handle the modern implementation of VMs and all the other great features unRAID now supports...but since that won't be possible for "peanuts", i'll have to make do with what i have for a bit longer.

so, the single cycle of preclear without a pre-read finished successfully...this was the output from the status window:

#                                      Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                                        #

#  Step 1 of 4 - Zeroing the disk:                                                        [7:27:03 @ 111 MB/s] SUCCESS    #

#  Step 2 of 4 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #

#  Step 3 of 4 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                        SUCCESS    #

#  Step 4 of 4 - Post-Read verification:                                                  [2:08:58 @ 387 MB/s] SUCCESS    #

#                                Cycle elapsed time: 9:36:50 | Total elapsed time: 9:36:50                                #

#  ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  CYCLE 1  STATUS                                                                  #

#  9-Power_On_Hours            12210    -                                                                                #

#  194-Temperature_Celsius      32      -                                                                                #

--> ATTENTION: Please take a look into the SMART report above for drive health issues.

the drive did drop offline again, though...should i reboot and do more cycles, johnnie, until it stops dropping offline, or is it unlikely that it will remain online long enough to be re-implemented into the array as a cache drive? (and when i say "cache drive", i mean that i don't actually use it as such, but for less critical copy operations)

Guess you can write this drive off.

If the preclear is not running flawlessly, you don't want to trust this drive!

The last thing that you can use are the WD diagnostic tools.

Run a long test and it will probably also fail.

In any case, WD will usually ask for an error code from their diagnostic tool.

I checked the warranty status for you:

WMC1T0098667 WD30EFRX WD Red 08/12/2015 Beschränkte Garantie abgelaufen

Unless you have a bill from where you bought it, you probably won't get a replacement.

I also have a 2TB WD that tends to drop offline.

It will run through the preclear with no issue, but when up for longer periods of time it will

go offline and never come back until next powercycle.

Luckily you have unRAID so you can simply reassign drives, rebuild and keep going.  ;)

Just keep the window of degraded operation as low as possible because you have many drives

running --> higher chances of a second failed drive.

I prefer the slow spinning Hitachi drives. I also run Seagates and WD that I already had, but

I replaced (had failing) several WD and Seagates til now.

But considering the power on hours of some of your drives, I wouldn't say WD are all crap.

Probably just bad luck on your side.  :)

And remember, the more drives, the higher the chance of failure.

Points well taken, Fireball3...thanks for checking into it...I have prepared myself for losing yet another WD drive, and by the sound of it the other shoe has already dropped...i'll let this last cycle take its course but will, in all likelihood, look forward to replacing it during my next trip to Berlin...if I can, I might also rebuild the server from the ground up then.

doesn't this look at least a little bit encouraging, johnnie?:

#                                      Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                                        #

#  Step 1 of 3 - Zeroing the disk:                                                        [7:27:07 @ 111 MB/s] SUCCESS    #

#  Step 2 of 3 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #

#  Step 3 of 3 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                        SUCCESS    #

#                                  Cycle elapsed time: 7:27:53 | Total elapsed time: 7:27:54                              #

#  ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  CYCLE 1  STATUS                                                                  #

#  5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        0        -                                                                      #

#  9-Power_On_Hours            12226    12233    Up 7                                                                    #

#  194-Temperature_Celsius      31      34      Up 3                                                                    #

#  196-Reallocated_Event_Count  0        0        -                                                                      #

#  197-Current_Pending_Sector  1        0        Down 1                                                                  #

#  198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        0        -                                                                      #

#  199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0        0        -                                                                      #

--> ATTENTION: Please take a look into the SMART report above for drive health issues.

i'm just gonna go for it and run two successive cycles overnight.

as i am starting a two cycle run, the status report is showing that the pending sector count has gone down to zero...what does that mean?

#                                      Cycle 1 of 2, partition start on sector 64.                                        #

#  Step 1 of 3 - Zeroing in progress:                                                                        (0% Done)    #

#  ** Time elapsed: 0:00:31 | Write speed: 166 MB/s | Average speed: 152 MB/s                                            #

#                                  Cycle elapsed time: 0:00:34 | Total elapsed time: 0:00:34                              #

#  9-Power_On_Hours            12235    -                                                                                #

#  194-Temperature_Celsius      32      -                                                                                #

#  197-Current_Pending_Sector  0        -                                                                                #

so all of these recovery attempts are starting to show results? if these next two cycles without pre- and post-read turn out to be successful, should i try to do a full cycle with pre- and post-read? what was different about this last one, too, is that the drive didn't go offline after the cycle finished...maybe my undying hope isn't for naught after all.

Pending sectors went to 0 on the last cycle:

ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  CYCLE 1  STATUS                                                                  #
#   197-Current_Pending_Sector   1        0        Down 1                                                                  #

It's a good sign, especially if it stays at 0 during the next cycles and if it passes both pre and post reads, still would only use it on a backup server or similar.

Ok, 2 cycles without pre- and post-read finished successfully, so i will now try one more with pre- and post-read:

#                                        Cycle 2 of 2, partition start on sector 64.                                      #

#  Step 1 of 3 - Zeroing the disk:                                                        [7:27:00 @ 111 MB/s] SUCCESS    #

#  Step 2 of 3 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #

#  Step 3 of 3 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                        SUCCESS    #

#                                  Cycle elapsed time: 7:27:42 | Total elapsed time: 14:55:29                              #

#  ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  CYCLE 1  CYCLE 2  STATUS                                                        #

#  5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        0        0        -                                                              #

#  9-Power_On_Hours            12235    12242    12250    Up 15                                                          #

#  194-Temperature_Celsius      32      33      33      Up 1                                                          #

#  196-Reallocated_Event_Count  0        0        0        -                                                              #

#  197-Current_Pending_Sector  0        0        0        -                                                              #

#  198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        0        0        -                                                              #

#  199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0        0        0        -                                                              #

I started a full cycle with pre- and post-read, but after checking in on it a few times today, i keep seeing an average speed of 0 MB/s, and a progress of 0% after 8hrs...could it be that something caused this cycle to never really start? should i cancel it and start again? is there some sort of terminal command to check whether it's actually doing anything?

#  Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read in progress:                                                                      (0% Done)    #

#  ** Time elapsed: 8:01:16 | Current speed: 0.0 kB/s | Average speed: 0 MB/s                                            #

#                                Cycle elapsed time: 8:01:20 | Total elapsed time: 8:01:20                                #

#  9-Power_On_Hours            12250    -                                                                                #

#  197-Current_Pending_Sector  0        -                                                                                #

after 12hrs of 0% progress i finally pulled the plug...upon starting yet another attempt without pre- and post-read i am now seeing two pending sectors again, so i think it's safe to say that this drive is not worth investing any more time into.

#  Step 1 of 3 - Zeroing in progress:                                                                        (0% Done)    #

#  ** Time elapsed: 0:02:23 | Write speed: 153 MB/s | Average speed: 151 MB/s                                            #

#                                  Cycle elapsed time: 0:02:27 | Total elapsed time: 0:02:28                              #

#  9-Power_On_Hours            12263    -                                                                                #