virt-manager

Here are the steps that enable version 1.3.2 of virt-manager to work with Unraid 6Beta23. Using qcow2 image files you can snap-shot along with save and restore VM's.

1: Edit the file /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf from the root of the USB drive, find the line that reads #listen_addr = "127.0.0.1". change it to listen_addr = "0.0.0.0" and save.

2: Download the attached file and extract it to /boot/extra, also on the USB drive.

3: Reboot the server.

4: use virt-manager version 1.3.2 from any linux machine to attach and manage VMS on unraid.

netcat-openbsd.tar.gz

• 1 month later...

Here are the steps that enable version 1.3.2 of virt-manager to work with Unraid 6Beta23. Using qcow2 image files you can snap-shot along with save and restore VM's.

1: Edit the file /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf from the root of the USB drive, find the line that reads #listen_addr = "127.0.0.1". change it to listen_addr = "0.0.0.0" and save.

2: Download the attached file and extract it to /boot/extra, also on the USB drive.

4: use virt-manager version 1.3.2 from any linux machine to attach and manage VMS on unraid.

i would like to try this, but im confused?

/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf is not on the flash drive but these files for unraid belongs in the RAM and are created on boot. Would have to add something to go file i guess to edit on boot.

Also my libvirtconf file is as follows

nano 2.6.0                            File: libvirt.conf                                       

#
# This can be used to setup URI aliases for frequently
# used connection URIs. Aliases may contain only the
# characters  a-Z, 0-9, _, -.
#
# Following the '=' may be any valid libvirt connection
# URI, including arbitrary parameters

#uri_aliases = [
#  "hail=qemu+ssh://[email protected]/system",
#  "sleet=qemu+ssh://[email protected]/system",
#]

#
# These can be used in cases when no URI is supplied by the application
# (@uri_default also prevents probing of the hypervisor driver).
#
#uri_default = "qemu:///system"

can you give a bit more detail how you got this to work please

i would like to try this, but im confused?

/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf is not on the flash drive but these files for unraid belongs in the RAM and are created on boot. Would have to add something to go file i guess to edit on boot.

Also my libvirtconf file is as follows

nano 2.6.0                            File: libvirt.conf                                       

#
# This can be used to setup URI aliases for frequently
# used connection URIs. Aliases may contain only the
# characters  a-Z, 0-9, _, -.
#
# Following the '=' may be any valid libvirt connection
# URI, including arbitrary parameters

#uri_aliases = [
#  "hail=qemu+ssh://[email protected]/system",
#  "sleet=qemu+ssh://[email protected]/system",
#]

#
# These can be used in cases when no URI is supplied by the application
# (@uri_default also prevents probing of the hypervisor driver).
#
#uri_default = "qemu:///system"

can you give a bit more detail how you got this to work please

Yes happy to help :) It would appear you are editing the wrong file! You are editing /etc/libvirt/libvirt.conf and you need to edit /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf. notice the d on the end of the second entry! You should now be able to follow the instructions, find the correct line and amend the entry. :)

hi i have tried what you suggested changed the libvirtd.conf to 0.0.0.0

i created an extra folder in the root of the flash drive and placed the contents of the zip folder in there.

When i try to connect to my server from the virt manager i get the following error

Unable to connect to libvirt.

End of file while reading data: sh: nc: command not found: Input/output error

Verify that the 'libvirtd' daemon is running
on the remote host.

Libvirt URI is: qemu+ssh://[email protected]/system

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1027, in _open_thread
    self.vmm = self._try_open()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1009, in _try_open
    flags)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 105, in openAuth
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirtError: End of file while reading data: sh: nc: command not found: Input/output error

Can you tell me what  i am missing and doing wrong?

Works fine here on W10 bash subsystem :-)

Can you elaborate a bit more? Are you running libvirt-manager "native on win10" ? Which binaries did you use for this?

Can i ask what's the purpose of doing this? What extra functionality does it provide?

libvirt-manager is the most feature complete gui for libvirt / qemu / kvm that there is. Only the command line utility virsh offers more functionality compared to any other management solution for qemu/kvm.

It makes creating and managing virtual machines far easier - but I only use it when I don`t want to edit the xml directly, or I don`t know (yet) how to properly edit the xml

Works fine here on W10 bash subsystem :-)

Can you elaborate a bit more? Are you running libvirt-manager "native on win10" ? Which binaries did you use for this?

Can i ask what's the purpose of doing this? What extra functionality does it provide?

libvirt-manager is the most feature complete gui for libvirt / qemu / kvm that there is. Only the command line utility virsh offers more functionality compared to any other management solution for qemu/kvm.

It makes creating and managing virtual machines far easier - but I only use it when I don`t want to edit the xml directly, or I don`t know (yet) how to properly edit the xml

Windows 10 Anniversary Update have a bash subsystem, Ubuntu 14.04. But I manage to update it to 16.04 ???? So I'm running Linux application from Windows.

[/size]

[/size]//Peter

Windows 10 Anniversary Update have a bash subsystem, Ubuntu 14.04. But I manage to update it to 16.04 ???? So I'm running Linux application from Windows.

[/size]

[/size]//Peter

I checked out the Win10 upgrade and also got bash running - installed virt-manager via apt-get install virt-manager. But whenever I try to run it - it never shows any window. Just returns to bash after 1-3 seconds.

Mind sharing some more details on your setup? It would be great for me since I wouldn`t need to start a ubuntu vm from my laptop for more indepth administration.

Did you need to install certain packages? X-server?

maybe you have a link to more information in this matter?

this got it working for me on the windows side. 

Thank you very much - got stuck with the dbus error and couldn`t find a solution while searching. Now its working over here :-)

One more less vm on my laptop to have laying around for something that simple to do - virt-manager does not replace virsh, but makes adding/removing certain device parts easier, way easier  :D