Upgrading my UnRaid server to allow to a gaming VM

ekim

I have been running UnRaid for a while now, really happy with it. At the moment I don't have the space in my place to have a full gaming PC set up. I have a Macbook Air and have been doing some reading up on virtualization and being able to stream games across a network. This would work perfectly for me as I could stream to the laptop, or something connected to the TV so I can choose how I game.

My current set up is as follows:

MOBO: ASRock B75 Pro3-M (8 Drives connected)

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610

RAM: Crucial 4GB DDR3 Kit

PSU: Seasonic X-Series 650w

STORAGE:

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (2 Drives connected)

9 * WD Red 3tb (1 * Parity, 7 * Data, 1 * Spare)

1 * WD Black 500gb (Cache)

I am guessing I will need to do a fairly major upgrade if I want something capable of gaming. Thinking along the lines of:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero

Intel® Core™ i7-6800K Processor (4 cores of 6 given to the VM)

GeForce GTX 970

16gb RAM

500gb SSD (dedicated to the VM).

In my reading I understand that SLI doesn't work on VMs, hence why only one GFX card. Would the above be enough to get some games up and running? Is it overkill, happy to spend some cash but don't want to go crazy!

Trying to think about what games I might want to play:

Doom, Hitman, Battlefield 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure the ASUS supports VT-d well? I assume you have looked it up and/or have found fellow unRAID users that report it working properly?

I recall that all skylake cpus now have vt-d support (or did when I was looking into it a few months back). So its really the MB you need to be concerned with.