Quick question -

I have a 12 TB server with a combination of drives, 2 & 1 TB drives. I want to reduce the number of drives in the box, so I an replacing the Parity drive (2tb) with a (4tb) drive. It is doing a parity sync as we speak.

I want to replace the 1 & 2 TB drives with 4 TB drives and have the same amount of space but 4 less drives.

My plan is as follows:

Once the Parity sync is done, pull out one of the 1TB drives and replace it with a 4TB drive and let it sync.

Then pull out a second 1TB drive replacing it with a 4 TB drive.

Finally, replace 1 more drive with a 4TB drive and let it sync.

Now I have 3 more 1 or 2 terabyte drives I want to just remove.

The plan is remove one, mark it as unassigned, let the system rebuild.

Remove the second one, mark it as unassigned, let the system rebuild.

Remove the third one, mark it as unassigned, let the system rebuild.

Does anyone see any problem with this method? I really don't want to lose any data. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for your help in this.

This will not work - the only way to reduce the number of drives in unRAID is via running a New Config.

What is not clear is whether you currently have any data on the drives that you want to keep.  The answer to that determines the best way forward.

According to my main screen there is at least some data on all of the drives. IS there a doc somewhere on how to best do this. I searched new config and nothing comes up. Thanks -