Updating dockers?

Hey gang,

I understand it is not easy to update docker contents (saw it's possible but changes won't persist) but what is the easiest way to do get the latest versions of docker programs installed? I'm aware that some have EDGE settings that automatically install the latest version (why don't they all have this?) but for the exceptions is there anything else I can do aside from begging the docker author to update the docker?

I have read that I can port the docker over to another github and update it myself and then install (this doesn't make full sense to me but I'm sure I can figure it out if it isn't too involved) and I've heard that VM might be another alternative.. what is the best option if I just want to keep my dockers relatively up to date?

Any resources you want to toss my way would be appreciated.

Thanks gents!

Hey CHBMB, thanks for the response.

Yea, I am currently running 5 linuxserver.io containers. Much love for those guys in maintaining that. I'm more concerned about the few that I run which linuxserver.io don't maintain, don't update, and/or are no longer maintained by the original author.

I'm aware that some have EDGE settings that automatically install the latest version (why don't they all have this?) but for the exceptions is there anything else I can do aside from begging the docker author to update the docker?

Auto updating (ie: EDGE) docker apps is a double edged sword.

On the plus side, you satisfy the users that want to always run the absolute latest version that was released an hour ago with little testing (really - why does plex need to update itself so often?)

On the con side, auto updates more or less (and this is a debateable point) violate once of the greatest advantages of docker - an app that is guaranteed to work for all users all the time - because the versions all users are running are the same.

Additionally, on the con side, it becomes a support nightmare for the maintainers because user A runs version Y, user B runs version Z, user C runs a version no one's even heard of before

That being said, using Plex for example,

lsio auto updates.  (and the guys have great support)

binhex doesn't auto update (and still has great support)

You just have to decide on which side of fence you think the grass is greener on.

Yea, not knocking the guys that don't update for whatever reason and I definitely see the stability angle. My main concern is for a couple of containers that have gone the way of the dodo (like DocuWiki for example where it is several revisions off and not actively supported?). It would be nice to have another way to easily updates those. I guess I don't know the details involved in ensuring that these things are stable from update to update (I'm sure it's variable), I guess I'd just like to take that chance in those instances.

Yea, not knocking the guys that don't update for whatever reason and I definitely see the stability angle. My main concern is for a couple of containers that have gone the way of the dodo (like DocuWiki for example where it is several revisions off and not actively supported?). It would be nice to have another way to easily updates those. I guess I don't know the details involved in ensuring that these things are stable from update to update (I'm sure it's variable), I guess I'd just like to take that chance in those instances.

The other way you could do it, is fork the original github source, modify the dockerfile and rebuild it on dockerhub...

The other way you could do it, is fork the original github source, modify the dockerfile and rebuild it on dockerhub...

Do you think this is something a self-proclaimed newbie should be able figure out by doing a bit of searching around the forums/net?