limetech plex docker not on "latest"

I mentioned this in other threads, but this applies here too...

I just did a migration of my Plex Server stuff from the Limetech repo to the LinuxServer.io repo.

I got tired of waiting for a a version update so I just switched to the LinuxServer.io repo for Plex from the Limetech one since LinuxServer.io keeps theirs up to date.

Here are the steps I took:

[*]Make note of your container mapped custom media path settings if you have them specifically set for PMS (for instance mine map /Media to /mnt/user/Media)

[*]Shutdown the Limetech PMS container, but don't delete it yet

[*]Backup your appdata config for PlexMedia Server (mine was in /mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer) to another folder for safety

[*]Add the LinuxServer.io Plex container.  It can coexist with the other one temporarily as long as the other one isn't running since they're named differently

[*]Add the mapped media path you had in the Limetech container settings if you had it set there.  It's not there by default in LinuxServer.io (although you could use the /user mapping that it does come with, I prefer a direct reference for isolation)

[*]The LinuxServer.io container will automatically startup after you're done setting it up and saving/apply.  Access the server via the webUI and log in.

[*]Once the new Plex container is up and running after initial wizards, shut that container down again.

[*]With both containers shutdown, copy all the content from /mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server to /mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server (or whatever old and new Plex paths you have for the appdata stuff)

[*]Once you're done copying all the appdata stuff, startup your new Plex container again.

[*]Access the new Plex server via WebUI or from the Plex.tv site.  Verify all your content, settings, channels, and custom Agents survived the transition, and that you're on the latest 1.0.0.2261 version in the Settings/Server page

[*]When you're satisfied everything survived the transition, you can delete the old Plex Media Server container.

[*]Update any other container paths that refer to your Plex Media Server install (i.e. the logs path for plexpy) since it will be under a new location in appdata

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

my docker container is reporting that it is the latest, however plex is still on Version 0.9.16.6  and the latest is Version 1.0.0.2261

Is limetech not updating their own docker containers?

If you want a supported Plex docker container, have a look at the LinuxServer.IO version.

At this point it seems like the LimeTech dockers only exist so they can in good faith use them in their marketing material as applications available on unRaid.

The interesting thing is I did push Plex 1.0.0.2261 out there on June 29th... Everyone still stuck with 0.9.16.6 without a update available?

I am still. I tried all the advice on here and it never updates. Even did full remove/install of the docker and rebuilt libraries again and still no luck. Maybe it is just me.

It keeps telling me there is an update available that I must install manually when I look in the server tab in Plex.

The interesting thing is I did push Plex 1.0.0.2261 out there on June 29th... Everyone still stuck with 0.9.16.6 without a update available?

I am still. I tried all the advice on here and it never updates. Even did full remove/install of the docker and rebuilt libraries again and still no luck. Maybe it is just me.

It keeps telling me there is an update available that I must install manually when I look in the server tab in Plex.

Check your Advanced View (top right of setting screen there is a toggle) of Plex docker settings to make sure you don't have a specific version defined (has been a workaround in the past for bad versions). Should be set as VERSION = latest

• 1 month later...

Check your Advanced View (top right of setting screen there is a toggle) of Plex docker settings to make sure you don't have a specific version defined (has been a workaround in the past for bad versions). Should be set as VERSION = latest

Sweet.. Thanks. This worked and the container is now updated to 1.0.3.2461

• 5 months later...

Apologies, I should have been clearer :)

When I stop/start the docker it does check for a newer version, but the latest Version of Plex is 1.3.4.3285.

Using the limetech docker, it seems *stuck* at 1.3.3.3148

I'm a newbie with UnRaid and dockers.. does the Docker not grab the latest Plex version from Plex themselves?

When I stop/start the docker it does check for a newer version, but the latest Version of Plex is 1.3.4.3285.

I'm a newbie with UnRaid and dockers.. does the Docker not grab the latest Plex version from Plex themselves?

I don't use the limetech docker so I can't address that. I use the one from linuxserver. I am also on the DVR beta so my version is older than those you mention.

I don’t believe that this Limetech container supports auto-updating so you might need to wait awhile.

I don’t believe that this Limetech container supports auto-updating so you might need to wait awhile.

Or switch to the better supported plex docker from linuxserver.io. If you use the same plex appdata it should just work, keeping your library just as is.