[Support] Linuxserver.io - Nextcloud

Thanks snowboarder714, Yeah I looked at these but the situation doesn't look like my issue ...and I don't see a resolution.

I have a brand spanking new clean install on a brand new server. I have only installed the required Dockers for Nextcloud -- everything exactly done per Space Invader One's video. Other than upload file size, its working well. So...

1) Is there SUPPOSED to be a file size limit? In which case, I'm looking for the settings or parameters to increase this value?

OR

2) Is file size SUPPOSED to be unlimited, and this condition is an error which needs troubleshooting?

Also: total noob here, so you know...

Thanks.

1 hour ago, malebron said:

1) Is there SUPPOSED to be a file size limit? In which case, I'm looking for the settings or parameters to increase this value?

may start here

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_files/big_file_upload_configuration.html#:~:text=The default maximum file size,filesystem and operating system allows.

its been also discussed several times here, now depending on your setup (i assume lsio and reverse proxy etc) i would look at the nginx parts on all documentations about file size upload limits.

Hmm. This talks about a parameter for letsencrypt -- which I don't have installed. Just swag (per the video).

I found a "client_max_body_size" parameter in ~appdata/swag/nginx/nginx.conf, but that was correctly set to 0.

However, IF that had been set too low, it would have generated the 413 error I'm seeing.

Just for grins I tried changing it to 10G and restarting the container, but no change.

Are there any other conf files I should be looking for?

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 9.34.50 AM.png

On 2/17/2022 at 11:12 AM, Tucubanito07 said:

Anyone has this issue on their Nextcloud instance? I have searched multiple times everywhere and nothing. I also checked the logging screen in nextcloud and nothing comes up. I am on version 23.0.2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.0108dc8007e06126c8dcd0f7e3becdd8.png

Hello,

Has anyone encounter this issue or does anyone know how to resolve this? I dont see anything on the logs.

Max upload file size issue: The plot thickens...

I originally saw the errors (413) when uploading >1GB files from my desktop using Nextcloud's Mac desktop app.

Today I tried dragging and dropping to the web GUI instead. Whaddayaknow, a 1.1GB and 3.1GB uploaded with no errors  AND synced correctly back to my desktop. (These failed using the other method)

However a 4.3GB file failed to upload with "Error When assembling chunks, status code 504"

(Note: Adding new files >1GB to the Nextcloud folder on my Mac still fail with a 413 error.)

1) Any idea what the 504 "chunks" error could be about?

2) Does anyone know if the desktop app communicates to Nextcloud differently to the web GUI? Is there another conf file? Maybe there's a different desktop app I can test with  (eg can I use the Owncloud app with Nextcloud?)

Thanks!

root@VenturaNas:~# docker exec -it nextcloud updater.phar  
Nextcloud Updater - version: v20.0.0beta4-11-g68fa0d4

Current version is 21.0.5.

Update to Nextcloud 21.0.9 available. (channel: "stable")
Following file will be downloaded automatically: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-21.0.9.zip
Open changelog ↗

Steps that will be executed:
[ ] Check for expected files
[ ] Check for write permissions
[ ] Create backup
[ ] Downloading
[ ] Verify integrity
[ ] Extracting
[ ] Enable maintenance mode
[ ] Replace entry points
[ ] Delete old files
[ ] Move new files in place
[ ] Done

Start update? [y/N] y

Info: Pressing Ctrl-C will finish the currently running step and then stops the updater.

[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[ ] Create backup ...PHP Warning:  copy(/data/updater-oc9q1ejvugli/backups/nextcloud-21.0.5.1-1645524247/apps/mail/l10n/ca.js): failed to open stream: No error information in phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 395
[✘] Create backup failed
Could not copy "/config/www/nextcloud/apps/mail/l10n/ca.js" to "/data/updater-oc9q1ejvugli/backups/nextcloud-21.0.5.1-1645524247/apps/mail/l10n/ca.js". Destination /data/updater-oc9q1ejvugli/backups/nextcloud-21.0.5.1-1645524247/apps/mail/l10n/ca.js is not writable                                                   

Update failed. To resume or retry just execute the updater again.
root@VenturaNas:~# docker exec -it nextcloud updater.phar  
Nextcloud Updater - version: v20.0.0beta4-11-g68fa0d4

Current version is 21.0.5.

Update to Nextcloud 21.0.9 available. (channel: "stable")
Following file will be downloaded automatically: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-21.0.9.zip
Open changelog ↗

Steps that will be executed:
[ ] Check for expected files
[ ] Check for write permissions
[ ] Create backup
[ ] Downloading
[ ] Verify integrity
[ ] Extracting
[ ] Enable maintenance mode
[ ] Replace entry points
[ ] Delete old files
[ ] Move new files in place
[ ] Done

Start update? [y/N] y

Info: Pressing Ctrl-C will finish the currently running step and then stops the updater.

[ ] Check for expected files ...PHP Warning:  mkdir(): I/O error in phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 997
[✘] Check for expected files failed
Could not create $updaterDir

Update failed. To resume or retry just execute the updater again.

can anyone assist?

i dont know what to do, tried some commands, without success.

1 hour ago, snowborder714 said:
On 2/25/2022 at 1:58 PM, malebron said:

However a 4.3GB file failed to upload with "Error When assembling chunks, status code 504"

I'm now getting this when logged into NextCloud on a laptop browser.  Mine is happening for anything above 1GB I believe.

Actually - I discovered that (despite this 504 error code) the file actually uploaded OK and synced to my Mac too. My research seems to point to nginx timeout values - but others have tried to fix this error with no success.

I'm still unable to upload files >1GB from the Nextcloud desktop client (Mac) even though these upload OK from the web GUI.

UPDATE: If you are having the same issue (upload from Nextcloud's Mac desktop client fails for large files with 413 error) - I can confirm that the Owncloud Mac client uploaded files up to 4.3GB no errors.

Looks like the Nextcloud desktop client is the problem. (Also the Owncloud client can generate public links from the desktop - the Nextcloud client cannot). Note: There is a "server version unsupported" message - so no guarantee of future compatibility.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:40 AM, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I have wiped my nextcloud & started from scratch & I found out that there are some LDAP issues with this build... I tried the official nextcloud build & LDAP works flawlessly but in Linuxserver build I'm not sure what is wrong but all the fields after I fill them up seem to have no effect.

also onlyoffice isnt working on Linuxserver build but works on the official build.

i get this message in my logs:

Could not detect any host in http:///data/htaccesstest.txt

RuntimeException: Could not get appdata folder for preview

I dont know if what I said makes any sense :)

You ever get LDAP working on this docker? I'm running into the same issue as you with all the fields and buttons greyed out in the "LDAP/AD integration" app. 

15 hours ago, chanrc said:

You ever get LDAP working on this docker? I'm running into the same issue as you with all the fields and buttons greyed out in the "LDAP/AD integration" app. 

oooh yeah, but I used the official nextcloud docker, all others are broken.

The official docker is much faster when paired with redis & everything works nicely.

if you need help you could add me on matrix https://matrix.to/#/@psychopathio:sykorp.com

Edited by PSYCHOPATHiO
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

oooh yeah, but I used the official nextcloud docker, all others are broken.

The official docker is much faster when paired with redis & everything works nicely.

if you need help you could add me on matrix https://matrix.to/#/@psychopathio:sykorp.com

Yea that's exactly what I ended up doing based on your comment. I blew away everything and rebuilt it using the official nextcloud docker and it works properly with LDAP. Was hoping I didn't need to.

Shame Iinuxserver didn't work. I'm surprised its been broken this long. 

15 hours ago, chanrc said:

Shame Iinuxserver didn't work. I'm surprised its been broken this long. 

I like using their dockers but sometimes I have to revert to the official dockers to get better updates & functions, in our case LDAP was broken in all nextcloud dockers listed in the app store.

what else do you have connected to your LDAP <--- off topic.

I got airsonic advanced, matrix server, email server, nextcloud, & strangely pfsense for guest wifi via captive portal, so users can authenticate with their LDAP

On 2/10/2022 at 1:06 PM, tube82 said:

Hi, did you solve this issue yet? Since a few days I am in the same situation.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:10 PM, Viper-694 said:

I had this issue on my old server that had a slow cpu. It seamed like if the step took longer than expected the updater would give this error. I got around this by watching for my cpu usage to drop to idle and then clicking retry. Then it would continue. Hopefully it's that easy of a fix for you too. My understanding is updating via the command line doesn't have this issue but I never tried that.

Hi guys, I found only one solution, which is shitty in any case. I made manual backup of all user data and reinstalled both Nextcloud and MariaDB with a full wipe of Appdata.

After a clean install I restored user data and it started working. Updates do not work anyway. This is crap and makes me crazy. 

Yesterday by update from 23.0.0.0 to 23.0.0.2 I got the same way multiple errors in various steps from 3 to 6.

I do not want to waste time on further attempts and again reinstalled. Shit. No support from anybody is available. No relevant info is available.

On 2/25/2022 at 7:55 PM, Tucubanito07 said:

Hello,

Has anyone encounter this issue or does anyone know how to resolve this? I dont see anything on the logs.

Error occurred whilst checking server setup

Yeah I'm stuck with this same issue. Fresh install with Postgres14 and NginxProxyManager following SpaceInvaders guide. 

Anyone got any ideas?

On 3/4/2022 at 6:40 AM, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I like using their dockers but sometimes I have to revert to the official dockers to get better updates & functions, in our case LDAP was broken in all nextcloud dockers listed in the app store.

what else do you have connected to your LDAP <--- off topic.

I got airsonic advanced, matrix server, email server, nextcloud, & strangely pfsense for guest wifi via captive portal, so users can authenticate with their LDAP

Right now I just got Nextcloud working with LDAP and trying to get it on LDAPS without much success. Having trouble getting Nextcloud to recognize the self-signed cert from the internal FreeIPA LDAP server. When I go occ log:tail it just tells me I get have a connection error. I have Authelia working on LDAPS as an authentication portal in front of a number of services I have running I wanted to do SSO on. Was going to get an email server working then look at hooking LDAP into Home Assistant for home automation stuff. 

Pretty new to LDAP/cert management and its a pretty steep learning curve. First time I screwed up the LDAP config and nextcloud went to an Internal Server error, I almost paniked and almost wiped the DB, Docker, and app settings to start over. 

Edited by chanrc
On 3/5/2022 at 11:08 PM, chanrc said:

Right now I just got Nextcloud working with LDAP and trying to get it on LDAPS without much success.

I never got LDAPs correctly cause of the certs, but its internal communication with the local LDAP server & im not opening external ports for it to work. I got no clue how to get LDAPs to work :)

13 hours ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

I never got LDAPs correctly cause of the certs, but its internal communication with the local LDAP server & im not opening external ports for it to work. I got no clue how to get LDAPs to work :)

Its actually not too difficult. Figured it out after a bit of struggling. You just gotta take the IPA server cert file from /var/lib/ipa/certs and put it into the /etc/ssl/certs folder of the Nextcloud docker then add an entry for the new cert into /etc/ldap/ldap.conf and set the BASE,HOST, TLS_CACERT, and TLS_REQCERT values. After that make sure your nextcloud ldap server host gets updated to ldaps://<server> and ldapPort get updated to 636 in your nextcloud config. Nextcloud will recognize your self-signed cert after that AND it will not have any LDAP bind errors so will actually obey your LDAP server and password policies. FreeIPA is configured to only do that when SSL is enabled. 

You will need to make an entry in the /etc/hosts file since certs only take FQDN. Also make sure you don't mispell anything otherwise your Nextcloud will not be able to connect to your LDAP server and it will fail to start. You will have to use the OCC tool and manually revert settings.

docker exec -u www-data Nextcloud php occ log:tail/ldap:show-config/ldap:set-config

Edited by chanrc