[Support] Linuxserver.io - Nextcloud

12 hours ago, sonofdbn said:

Maybe that points to something that's relevant to the problem.

exactly, take a look at the last 20 posts in the swag support thread, been handled there already ...

14 hours ago, dius said:

I don't think those lines are significant.  I have seen them from the very first time I started using Nextcloud. 

that is not always true as you see upper, from time to time you should update those config files ... ;)

here there was ~ 1 year time now until it really broke it, manual changes in the conf wont give this note, its the header (date versioning) which triggers the update notification ... so sometimes it makes sence to compare and update them ;)

or wait until it crashes and then read the logs from all in the chain (in the upper case swag) and fix it.

• Like 1

Thanks so much! Got Nextcloud working again.

What I did after reading the Swag support thread and after stopping Swag:

1. Went to my Swag folder in /mnt/appdata

2. Went to the nginx sub-folder

3. Renamed ssl.conf to ssl.conf.old and nginx.conf to nginx.conf.old (in case something went wrong)

4. Made a copy of ssl.conf.sample and named the new file ssl.conf

5. Made a copy of nginx.conf.sample and named the new file nginx.conf.

6. Restarted Swag.

NOTE: I didn't have any customisations in the ssl.conf and nginx.conf files.

(I can't claim any credit for this - all taken from the Swag support thread)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 12/12/2022 at 11:01 PM, gzibell said:

Oh it totally works. The learn more says, "It is highly recommended to restrict WOPI requests to the IP addresses of the Collabora servers that are expected to request files from the Nextcloud installation. This can be done by setting the Allow list for WOPI requests option from the Office admin settings."

So I think it means someone could use WOPI to grab files from my nextcloud instance without permission and I need to only allow ip's that should be allowed to access wopi.  I tried local IP's and that didn't work.  Assuming it would have to be my public or cloudflare proxied ip but haven't tried those yet

Did you sort this out? I tried in the allow list these - local docker network IP, server IP, my public IP and IPs from my Cloudflare proxied domain. All of those got me rid of the warning but Collbora was not working.

Solution:

Add all Cloudflare IPs to the allow list

Source: https://github.com/nextcloud/all-in-one#notes-on-cloudflare-proxytunnel

Edited by vitis
Solution found

I'm interested in using one of my raspberry pi's as a quick spin up backup server. I'm just curious if anyone is doing anything similar or is it even possible?

I have backups to B2 etc but I'd like to be able to just spin up the raspberry pi and practically instantly be back up and running again. 

8 hours ago, sonofdbn said:

Thanks so much! Got Nextcloud working again.

What I did after reading the Swag support thread and after stopping Swag:

1. Went to my Swag folder in /mnt/appdata

2. Went to the nginx sub-folder

3. Renamed ssl.conf to ssl.conf.old and nginx.conf to nginx.conf.old (in case something went wrong)

4. Made a copy of ssl.conf.sample and named the new file ssl.conf

5. Made a copy of nginx.conf.sample and named the new file nginx.conf.

6. Restarted Swag.

NOTE: I didn't have any customisations in the ssl.conf and nginx.conf files.

(I can't claim any credit for this - all taken from the Swag support thread)

Wow! I was only having problems accessing Nextcloud, so it never occurred to me to look at Swag.  I followed these instructions, and also update my customized Nextcloud  conf files and now everything is working.  Thank you @sonofdbn for pointing this out to me.

I'll try to remember to update the appropriate config files going forward.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, tazire said:

I'm interested in using one of my raspberry pi's as a quick spin up backup server. I'm just curious if anyone is doing anything similar or is it even possible?

I have backups to B2 etc but I'd like to be able to just spin up the raspberry pi and practically instantly be back up and running again. 

In theory you can IF all your services have ARM images available, you make docker-compose files or such to spin up containers in a way that matches your setup, you don't have too many services because RAM on a Pi is limited, and... you're patient, since most stuff will run atrociously slow on a Pi.

You can get used business PCs for $50 (cheaper than a Pi these days)  that will run circles around a Pi and would be able to run your usual OS.

Edited by Kilrah
14 hours ago, Kilrah said:

In theory you can IF all your services have ARM images available, you make docker-compose files or such to spin up containers in a way that matches your setup, you don't have too many services because RAM on a Pi is limited, and... you're patient, since most stuff will run atrociously slow on a Pi.

You can get used business PCs for $50 (cheaper than a Pi these days)  that will run circles around a Pi and would be able to run your usual OS.

cheers for the response. The particular pi would be solely to run nextcloud & mariadb... just the vital containers for nextcloud to continue to function. I wouldnt need onlyoffice or any of the other addons for this. Its just to keep it going should my server ever go down for whatever reason. I would have swag/NPM on its own pi also so I can keep the load to just nextcloud related. I could also go the k3 route as I have 4 pi 4 4gb's that I have been playing with.   

Both my nextcloud and mariadb are linuxserver (obviously!) repo images. So if they support arm it should be as simple as setting them up on my pi and have the unraid files rsync to the pi? 

Edited by tazire
21 hours ago, tazire said:

Both my nextcloud and mariadb are linuxserver (obviously!) repo images. So if they support arm it should be as simple as setting them up on my pi and have the unraid files rsync to the pi? 

For the files yes, for the DB maybe / maybe not, don't know if the way the data files' structure depends on CPU arch on mariadb so it might need exporting/importing. 

Hi everyone, I have been running an own Nextcloud instance for over a year, protected by a reverse proxy SWAG, setup like SpaceInvader one's channel.  Everything has been working great (except for last week, when I also had an issue with SWAG, which luckily was sorted thanks to this forum above here!).

However, I am sharing a lot of photos and personal videos with family and friends and I often get the feedback that they can't download things from my Nextcloud, which is larger in size (it appears that anything below around 2Gb is fine, but above it times out). I did read some comments on the forum, that it would be SWAG which is the bottleneck, but there doesn't seem to be a solution. So I am using Nextcloud, MariaDB, DuckDNS and Swag.  So not sure where the issue lies, but I want to solve this quickly.

Anyone else that has this issue and maybe some kind of explanation why this is happening/how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

DrBobke

On 2/1/2023 at 8:12 AM, DrBobke said:

Hi everyone, I have been running an own Nextcloud instance for over a year, protected by a reverse proxy SWAG, setup like SpaceInvader one's channel.  Everything has been working great (except for last week, when I also had an issue with SWAG, which luckily was sorted thanks to this forum above here!).

However, I am sharing a lot of photos and personal videos with family and friends and I often get the feedback that they can't download things from my Nextcloud, which is larger in size (it appears that anything below around 2Gb is fine, but above it times out). I did read some comments on the forum, that it would be SWAG which is the bottleneck, but there doesn't seem to be a solution. So I am using Nextcloud, MariaDB, DuckDNS and Swag.  So not sure where the issue lies, but I want to solve this quickly.

Anyone else that has this issue and maybe some kind of explanation why this is happening/how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

DrBobke

Look in your proxy configuration file "nextcloud.subdomain.conf"

You can increase the file size limit.  Mine shows as follows "proxy_max_temp_file_size 2048m"

Change it to 4096m if you just want to double it to 4gb, or set any higher number and see if that helps resolve your timeouts.

Edited by avinyc
On 2/2/2023 at 2:35 PM, avinyc said:

Look in your proxy configuration file "nextcloud.subdomain.conf"

You can increase the file size limit.  Mine shows as follows "proxy_max_temp_file_size 2048m"

Change it to 4096m if you just want to double it to 4gb, or set any higher number and see if that helps resolve your timeouts.

Thanks a lot for your comment and apologies for the late reply. I have been looking in my nextcloud and under appdata, but I can't seem to find the nextcloud.subdomain.conf file. Is this under appdata --> Nextcloud --> ??

Looking forward to your reply and hoping to solve this issue. 🙂

Best regards,

Robert Smits

15 minutes ago, DrBobke said:

I have been looking in my nextcloud and under appdata, but I can't seem to find the nextcloud.subdomain.conf file. Is this under appdata --> Nextcloud --> ??

They said "in your proxy configuration file" so that would be the config file for nextcloud in swag if that's what you're using.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having issues syncing my nextcloud files by constantly getting the "No connection to Nexctloud at https://... Timeout". I cannot get into the WebUI nor does the desktop application work until I restart the docker.  Once the docker is restarted, the WebUI and the desktop app work fine, for some time, and then the entire process repeats. This seems to happen when I am syncing large files. Can anyone point to where I should troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Lev

On 2/20/2023 at 5:12 PM, levster said:

I am having issues syncing my nextcloud files by constantly getting the "No connection to Nexctloud at https://... Timeout". I cannot get into the WebUI nor does the desktop application work until I restart the docker.  Once the docker is restarted, the WebUI and the desktop app work fine, for some time, and then the entire process repeats. This seems to happen when I am syncing large files. Can anyone point to where I should troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Lev

I noticed that when my Nextcloud docker is active, the overall load on the server CPU is in the 70 - 90 %. There is tremendous amount of outbound traffic, and some disks show 10,000,000 to 100,000,000's reads! And they go nonstop, even when the remote clients crash and the Nextcloud WebUI stops responding. As soon as I restart the docker, the server activity drops precipitously, and disk utilization also stops. Also, I noticed that if I manually exit out of all remote clients, the server activity does NOT stop. There is still high disk and CPU utilization.

I think I'm going to have to stop updating my Nextcloud docker image.  I just updated it today (Feb 22, '23) and now when I try to access the gui, I get this error message: 

image.png.10353278e2ecf83d449ab470981d811f.png

There are no errors or warnings in the log file.  I have no idea where to look to fix this.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

41 minutes ago, dius said:

I think I'm going to have to stop updating my Nextcloud docker image.  I just updated it today (Feb 22, '23) and now when I try to access the gui, I get this error message: 

image.png.10353278e2ecf83d449ab470981d811f.png

There are no errors or warnings in the log file.  I have no idea where to look to fix this.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What version of Unraid are you on? What version of Nextcloud where you trying to upgrade or were you on previous to todays update?

16 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

What version of Unraid are you on? What version of Nextcloud where you trying to upgrade or were you on previous to todays update?

Unraid 6.11.5.  To be honest, I'm not sure how to find out what version of Nextcloud I'm running.  I've always tried to keep up with all of the latest updates so I would assume I was up to date. Is there a file I can open to find that out? The upgrade went find with no errors. Only now it doesn't work.

Edited by dius

That's really strange. I'm running the latest Unraid 6.11.5 and the latest NextCloud docker (from linuxserver.io) and both are on v7 of PHP.
Of course it is the version included in the docker image (not Unraid) that matters.
Oh, hang on a sec... Wah! I'm on the latest NextCloud (25.0.3) but not on the latest docker. For some reason (lost to time and my poor memory) I changed the docker Repository from "lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud:latest" to "lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud:23.0.0"
Well that explains why I'm not on v8 of PHP inside the docker, and I'm getting warnings in the NextCloud logs. LOL
Anyway back to your issue. Unlike most docker software, upgrading the docker does not upgrade NextCloud itself. NextCloud needs to be upgraded from within its own web interface.

I suspect that you have not upgraded NextCloud in such a long time that the docker environment and the software are now too far out of sync to be compatible.
Probably the easiest fix would be to downgrade your docker. Then from the NextCloud we interface, you can upgrade to the latest 25.0.3 and then upgrade the docker again.
You can manually set the repository from within the docker settings.
Try going back to the docker for 24.0.6 from a few months ago or even 23.0.0 like me (argh).
If you are using the docker from linuxserver.io then you can see all the available tags on their page.
Just edit the docker and change the repository line to read lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud:<tag> where <tag> is the version you want to roll back to. Once you are done, just set it back to "latest".

Edit: Updated for changes in repository format...

Edited by cat2devnull
  • Like 2

Thanks @cat2devnull for your advice and information.  I had updated Nextcloud a couple of times a year or so ago as I recall, but every time I did it ran into problems - just like now :).

I was able to down grade my docker to 23.0.0, then I tried to update Nextcloud to 23.0.12, but it kept timing out.  Now it's stuck on step 6, and I can't go any further.  I can't get into the UI either.  It just keeps telling me an update is in progress and to reload the page later.  This was why I stopped updating Nextcloud and thought that updating the docker image was the same thing.

Any suggestions on how I fix this newest problem?

I am able to get to the console, if that helps.

image.png.52cbdc7a9116a42cf5f37bbf60aa734d.png

Edited by dius
21 hours ago, dius said:

Thanks @cat2devnull for your advice and information.  I had updated Nextcloud a couple of times a year or so ago as I recall, but every time I did it ran into problems - just like now :).

I was able to down grade my docker to 23.0.0, then I tried to update Nextcloud to 23.0.12, but it kept timing out.  Now it's stuck on step 6, and I can't go any further.  I can't get into the UI either.  It just keeps telling me an update is in progress and to reload the page later.  This was why I stopped updating Nextcloud and thought that updating the docker image was the same thing.

Any suggestions on how I fix this newest problem?

I am able to get to the console, if that helps.

image.png.52cbdc7a9116a42cf5f37bbf60aa734d.png

This helped me when mine borked at step 3
https://techoverflow.net/2022/06/17/how-to-fix-nextcloud-step-is-currently-in-process-please-call-this-command-later/

Open the container console and rm -r the updater-xxxxx directory as per the link

I then did a CLI update from the UnRaid command line as per the instructions under Application Setup here
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/nextcloud

I had to run the update process a couple of times as I was a few versions behind and it seems to take a stepped approach

EDIT: Yes I had to temporarily downgrade the docker container first. I went 25.0.2

Edited by PiratePete
  • Like 1

Worth noting explicitly: I (and I guess many others) was on a very old version of NextCloud (v20.x) and you have to run the upgrade for every major version (i.e.-20>21, 21>22, etc), so it actually took a bunch of runs of the upgrade to get it to work. I started by downgrading the docker to version 24.0.6 by adding :24.0.6 to the end of the 'repository' line in the docker image, then just upgraded through the console via the following command:

sudo -u abc php /config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar

After each time it asked if I wanted to run the OCC upgrade (I picked yes) and then each time asked if I wanted to disable Maintenance Mode (I picked yes).

Once on v25.0.4 I removed the :24.0.6 piece on the docker image and I'm up and running again. Somewhat excited to see what new features I missed in the intervening 5 major versions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've tried these steps but get stopped at

"2023-02-23T14:50:42+00:00 duplicatefinder: Repair FileInfo objects"

"PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 2147483648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /config/www/nextcloud/lib/public/AppFramework/Db/Entity.php on line 118"

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

Update:

docker exec -it nextcloud occ app:disable duplicatefinder

got me pass this error...

Edited by rshuler
12 hours ago, PiratePete said:

This helped me when mine borked at step 3
https://techoverflow.net/2022/06/17/how-to-fix-nextcloud-step-is-currently-in-process-please-call-this-command-later/

Open the container console and rm -r the updater-xxxxx directory as per the link

I then did a CLI update from the UnRaid command line as per the instructions under Application Setup here
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/nextcloud

I had to run the update process a couple of times as I was a few versions behind and it seems to take a stepped approach

I tried to use the CLI method, but I get this error:

[ ] Extracting ...PHP Warning:  require(/config/www/nextcloud/updater/../version.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory in phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 658
PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Failed opening required '/config/www/nextcloud/updater/../version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php8') in phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php:658
Stack trace:
#0 phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php(695): NC\Updater\Updater->getVersionByVersionFile()
#1 phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/UpdateCommand.php(372): NC\Updater\Updater->extractDownload()
#2 phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/UpdateCommand.php(233): NC\Updater\UpdateCommand->executeStep()
#3 phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/vendor/symfony/console/Command/Command.php(256): NC\Updater\UpdateCommand->execute()
#4 phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(820): Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run()
#5 phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(187): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand()
#6 phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(118): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun()
#7 phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/updater.php(10): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run()
#8 /config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar(10): require('...')
#9 {main}
  thrown in phar:///config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 658

How do I fix this?  I'm sure there's a quick and easy way.  I'll see if I can locate any instructions in the resource material you suggested.  

Thanks for your help.