[Support] Linuxserver.io - Nextcloud

10 hours ago, Smooth Beaver said:

I am trying to setup fail2ban with the nextcloud, letsencrypt and OnlyOffice Document Server dockers, (Nextcloud, letsencrypt & ONLYOFFICE currently work perfectly)  When I look at Nextcloud's log file it shows all logins are coming from a single IP, probably because of the letsencrypt reverse proxy. So I found this page but it says I need a subscription to view it.

692901391_ScreenShot2019-10-27at4_24_14PM.thumb.png.057161f6b73679b7428abf0e923383ee.png

Can anyone help with allowing the reverse proxy to pass the client IP so I can configure fail2ban to work using this as a rough guide:

https://dennisnotes.com/note/20180831-nextcloud-docker-nginx-reverse-proxy/

Are these the lines that I need to add to the letsencrypt conf file for nextcloud that will do the client IP passthrough?

proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;

Do I need to add all three or just one or etc? I am not exactly sure what they do which is why I don't want to add them....

Why not use fail2ban in the letsencrypt container? It's built in.

5 hours ago, saarg said:

Why not use fail2ban in the letsencrypt container? It's built in.

I am, but it doesn't appear to offer brute force protection, am I wrong on this?  (I know Nextcloud offers it natively but I cannot set anything, a tried like 5 times to login with wrong information and never got blocked, I want it to like 3 attempts and blocked) I added the filter, and I was gonna add the jail but once I looked at the nextcloud logs all logins are coming from the same IP so it won't work....

I am, but it doesn't appear to offer brute force protection, am I wrong on this?  (I know Nextcloud offers it natively but I cannot set anything, a tried like 5 times to login with wrong information and never got blocked, I want it to like 3 attempts and blocked) I added the filter, and I was gonna add the jail but once I looked at the nextcloud logs all logins are coming from the same IP so it won't work....
Post your proxy config.

I don't use F2B in the container because phone app or sharing can't get around it so I use the one built into nextcloud but I had to add from there app store.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, H2O_King89 said:

Post your proxy config.

I don't use F2B in the container because phone app or sharing can't get around it so I use the one built into nextcloud but I had to add from there app store.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Here is my Nextcloud proxy config:

# make sure that your dns has a cname set for nextcloud
# assuming this container is called "letsencrypt", edit your nextcloud container's config
# located at /config/www/nextcloud/config/config.php and add the following lines before the ");":
#  'trusted_proxies' => ['letsencrypt'],
#  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://nextcloud.your-domain.com/',
#  'overwritehost' => 'nextcloud.your-domain.com',
#  'overwriteprotocol' => 'https',
#
# Also don't forget to add your domain name to the trusted domains array. It should look somewhat like this:
#  array (
#    0 => '192.168.0.1:444', # This line may look different on your setup, don't modify it.
#    1 => 'nextcloud.your-domain.com',
#  ),

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ssl;

server_name cloud.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
        include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_nextcloud nextcloud;
        proxy_max_temp_file_size 2048m;
        proxy_pass https://$upstream_nextcloud:443;
    }
}

Here is my ONLYOFFICE Document Server Proxy conf:

server {
    listen 443 ssl;

server_name oods.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
		            include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
		            resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_oods OnlyOfficeDocumentServer;
		            proxy_pass https://$upstream_oods:443;
        proxy_redirect off;
        proxy_set_header Host $host;
        proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $server_name;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
    }
}

I'm confused if the required Nextcloud changes need to be applied to the Letsencrypt site-confs or Nextcloud site-confs or both.

I do have a default file in the Letsencrypt site-confs folder and a default file in the Nextcloud site-confs folder. Both are completely different. In fact I did recreate the Nextcloud default file. The Nextcloud specific settings are in it's own file located within Letsencrypts site-confs.

There are no warnings on Nextclouds security page and no warnings on the Nextcloud Check-Website.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Edited by hawihoney
12 hours ago, hawihoney said:

I'm confused if the required Nextcloud changes need to be applied to the Letsencrypt site-confs or Nextcloud site-confs or both.

I do have a default file in the Letsencrypt site-confs folder and a default file in the Nextcloud site-confs folder. Both are completely different. In fact I did recreate the Nextcloud default file. The Nextcloud specific settings are in it's own file located within Letsencrypts site-confs.

There are no warnings on Nextclouds security page and no warnings on the Nextcloud Check-Website.

Any help is highly appreciated.

https://blog.linuxserver.io/2019/10/26/psa-nextcloud/

45 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Sorry, but there's not a single hint regarding my question on that site. Does "containers" refer to the Letsencrypt container and/or the Nextcloud container?

A "default" file does exist in exact the same location in both containers (/config/nginx/site-confs/default).

When I wrote the article, I'm purely talking about the nextcloud container, Nothing else.

Hi,

I have a very specific scenario happening with my Nextcloud instance.
If I upload a large file using a shared link, my docker image fills up. Only using a shared link.
If I upload the same file as a logged in user this does not happen.

I tought I might be able to find what directory keeps the temporary data and export it outside of the container but I'm not able to find it.

I ran watch du -sh against every directory inside the container with no success. It looks like it doesn't happen there.

Any help is apreciated.

I received the "Urgent security issue in NGINX/php-fpm" recently. My setup runs rock solid since years now (I used this guide: https://blog.linuxserver.io/2017/05/10/installing-nextcloud-on-unraid-with-letsencrypt-reverse-proxy/).

1.) Seems that the php package need to be updated and I am confident that this will happen via Docker update.

2.) Secondly two changes needed in the nginx config

a.) the removal of $request_uri

b.) the addition of the $try_files $fastcgi_script_name =404;

2b.) is done but I wasn't able to find 2a.). so seems that I am safe. Any further suggestions? Thanks a lot.

5 hours ago, EdgarWallace said:

I received the "Urgent security issue in NGINX/php-fpm" recently. My setup runs rock solid since years now (I used this guide: https://blog.linuxserver.io/2017/05/10/installing-nextcloud-on-unraid-with-letsencrypt-reverse-proxy/).

1.) Seems that the php package need to be updated and I am confident that this will happen via Docker update.

2.) Secondly two changes needed in the nginx config

a.) the removal of $request_uri

b.) the addition of the $try_files $fastcgi_script_name =404;

2b.) is done but I wasn't able to find 2a.). so seems that I am safe. Any further suggestions? Thanks a lot.

In addition, is there a way to confirm if the system is update appropriately for this vulnerability?

I just followed a SpaceInvader guide and I don't even know where to start looking to confirm things.

It also looks like the Docker was recently updated on my system - maybe it's all patched up already?

3 hours ago, nraygun said:

In addition, is there a way to confirm if the system is update appropriately for this vulnerability?

I just followed a SpaceInvader guide and I don't even know where to start looking to confirm things.

It also looks like the Docker was recently updated on my system - maybe it's all patched up already?

It's already patched. Check the link I posted a couple of posts ago.

• Like 2

Hey guys, 

My nextcloud stopped working a while back and I am just starting to look at it again. I cannot load the nextcloud webui at all. Where should I start??

Browser gives me error ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Found my letsencrypt docker was orphaned and not running. 

Found the guide. Let me confirm everything is ok first. oops

Thanks

Edited by jsoonias
Added Information
On 10/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, saarg said:

@saarg, I followed the guide that you posted so thanks a lot. After "default" was regenerated I discovered some security warnings (sorry for the German log but I do think that you know these messages :-)):

Der „X-Content-Type-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „nosniff“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
Der „X-Robots-Tag“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „none“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
Der „X-Download-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „noopen“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
Der „X-Permitted-Cross-Domain-Policies“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „none“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.

Der "Referrer-Policy" HTTP-Header ist nicht gesetzt auf "no-referrer", "no-referrer-when-downgrade", "strict-origin", "strict-origin-when-cross-origin" oder "same-origin". Dadurch können Verweis-Informationen preisgegeben werden. Siehe die W3C-Empfehlung.

I don't get an A+ grade and no security warnings by using my "default" file. Have I done anything wrong and what's your advise moving forward? Thanks a lot.

default default.regenerated

56 minutes ago, EdgarWallace said:

@saarg, I followed the guide that you posted so thanks a lot. After "default" was regenerated I discovered some security warnings (sorry for the German log but I do think that you know these messages :-)):

Der „X-Content-Type-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „nosniff“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
Der „X-Robots-Tag“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „none“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
Der „X-Download-Options“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „noopen“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.
Der „X-Permitted-Cross-Domain-Policies“-HTTP-Header ist nicht so konfiguriert, dass er „none“ entspricht. Dies ist ein potentielles Sicherheitsrisiko und es wird empfohlen, diese Einstellung zu ändern.

Der "Referrer-Policy" HTTP-Header ist nicht gesetzt auf "no-referrer", "no-referrer-when-downgrade", "strict-origin", "strict-origin-when-cross-origin" oder "same-origin". Dadurch können Verweis-Informationen preisgegeben werden. Siehe die W3C-Empfehlung.

I don't get an A+ grade and no security warnings by using my "default" file. Have I done anything wrong and what's your advise moving forward? Thanks a lot.

default 2.2 kB · 0 downloads default.regenerated 3.22 kB · 0 downloads

Make sure the following is set in your "default" site-conf

add_header X-Content-Type-Options "nosniff" always;
add_header X-Robots-Tag "none" always;
add_header X-Download-Options "noopen" always;
add_header X-Permitted-Cross-Domain-Policies "none" always;
add_header Referrer-Policy "no-referrer" always;

1 hour ago, EdgarWallace said:

default 2.2 kB · 0 downloads default.regenerated 3.22 kB · 0 downloads

Be sure to run latest stable version of Nextcloud to get an A+.

For now it's 16.0.5.

Thanks @bastl, however that was not the nessessary fix. I checked the admin manual 1000000 times (https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/16/admin_manual/installation/nginx.html) and still having no clue where the issue is sitting.

@andreidelait, sure I am running 16.0.5 which is being provides by using the update channel "stable".

Yes - restarted after every change. Meanwhile I used the original configuration from the Nextcloud admin guide and adjusted server_name, root, ssl_certificate and ssl_certificate_key.....without any luck.

Server is still giving warnings. Anyhow, I am going to use my "old" default file. Thanks a lot @bastl

Edited by EdgarWallace

If you use letsencrypt as your reverse proxy you should look at that nginex config not nextvloud. I do not remeber editing any nginx fi;e in nextcloud docker. I've only edited

/mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/www/nextcloud/config/config.php

and

/mnt/user/appdata/letsencrypt/nginx/site-confs/default

If you think you need to have a look at my files I can post them in a few hours.

Well, @bastl, there is a section in /mnt/user/system/docker/appdata/letsencrypt/nginx/site-confs/default:

###Extra Settings###                                                                                                            
    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;                                                                                                   
    ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;                                                                                               

### Add HTTP Strict Transport Security ###                                                                                      
    add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=63072000; includeSubdomains";                                                     
    add_header Front-End-Https on;                                                                                                  
    add_header X-Content-Type-Options nosniff;                                                                                      
    add_header X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block";                                                                                    
    add_header X-Robots-Tag none;                                                                                                   
    add_header X-Download-Options noopen;                                                                                           
    add_header X-Permitted-Cross-Domain-Policies none;                                                                              
    add_header Referrer-Policy no-referrer always; 

However, all the settings are according to the requirements.