[Support] Linuxserver.io - Nextcloud

Some recommend turning on HTTP2, but how do you do it? I havent found an actual guide I understand to do so, or if it is already?

Edit: Inspect website says Protocol h2 so I am guessing its enabled already, maybe it only wasnt on older versions.

Edited by Mihle

*EDIT* I think I answered my own question, seems to be a let's encrypt issue.

My nextcloud instance seems to have stopped working this morning for no obvious reason. The nginx log is showing the following that it wasn't showing before:

2020/06/30 09:31:14 [error] 370#370: *355 directory index of "/config/www/" is forbidden, client: 192.168.7.28, server: _, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.7.11:8443"
2020/06/30 09:31:14 [error] 370#370: *355 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.7.28, server: _, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "192.168.7.11:8443"
2020/06/30 09:31:14 [error] 370#370: *355 open() "/config/www/favicon.ico" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 192.168.7.28, server: _, request: "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.7.11:8443"
2020/06/30 09:31:14 [error] 370#370: *355 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.7.28, server: _, request: "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "192.168.7.11:8443"

Anyone got any ideas as to why this has suddenly happened? The docker hasn't updated for a while I think but the let's encrypt docker last night did update.

Edited by allanp81
On 6/30/2020 at 8:20 AM, skois said:

Hello, is anyone managed to get Face Recognition app installed on this docker? 
I'm trying to follow the app's installation instructions but sure enough nothing work, cause it needs to have a package manager to install some things.
How i can do it manually?
https://github.com/matiasdelellis/facerecognition/wiki/Installation

Struggling with the same thing at the moment.

It seems there's a requirement for PDLib to be installed.

There's a guide for combining it into the container itself (see here) but I have no idea even where to start implimenting it.

Can someone from the LinuxServer team help?

This could be a great start for Google Photos replacement 🙂

• Like 1

When running a occ preview:generate-all I get a memory limit error even after changing to 1024MB. Nextcloud support guys say 512M should be enough.

Anyone ran into this?

Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12288 bytes) at /config/www/nextcloud/lib/private/legacy/OC_Image.php#647

Edit:

Tried 2048M with the same result:

PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 2147483648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10641088 bytes) in /config/www/nextcloud/lib/private/legacy/OC_Image.php on line 649

I changed this setting in php-local.ini.

Edited by mon
On 6/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, Mihle said:
On 5/31/2020 at 10:05 PM, Mihle said:

So after longer time than I wanted I set up preview generator for thumbnails.
Its working fine for images that stored in Nextcloud itself.
But for storage added as external storage, the previews are created, but neither web Nextcloud or the app actually uses the previews created.

Nextcloud is instead creating new thumbnails instead for some reason. Anyone know why?

Maybe I should just give up and conclude that Nextcloud just got issues that is not fixable for me

I am struggling with the same/ or similar related to the poto app.

I feel this might be an issue with the docker image itself (or some specific configuration issue). I did have a nextcloud installation before that had no issues and the photo stuff just worked fine as expected. This installation was not running in dockers but was natively installed on the OS. Everything was working very fine with it.

I am trying to sort this out with nextcloud support just right now, but it's not looking very promising so far. You can look it up here: https://help.nextcloud.com/t/photos-not-shown-in-your-photos/86527/18

My installation now runs in dockers for MariaDB, nextcloud, letsencrypt and redis.

This issue here is burried somewhere in the nextcloud/ letsencrypt container, god knows where.... took a lot of time here already.

Edited by mon

So I lost power at my house last night and my Unraid server was down for the evening. Everything is back up and running now but I have an error showing on my server of 

Last job execution ran yesterday. Something seems wrong.

Can someone tell me what command I would use to get those to run today? Or should I just wait and let them run at their normally scheduled times?

Is there a way to make your unraid share appear in nextcloud as local storage and not external storage?

Out of the box nextcloud is so buggy and slow with external storage that's honestly unusable. Deleting a folder or file, uploading a large file, result in several errors and the GUI stopping working, while it doesn't happen with files and folders in local storage.

My nextcloud instance is clean, installed with no modification except some configs to make the reverse proxy work.

+1, would love some answer on this.

I'm running into another problem. When I tried to access my nextcloud user files using Windows Explorer via SMB (\\ipofmyunraidserver\nextcloud\user), everything is read-only. When I'm in the parent folder (\\ipofmyunraidserver\nextcloud) I have no problem to write files. The nextcloud share is set up as a private share on Unraid and of course I'm using the right user/password combination.

So I guess nextcloud is not using Unraid permission structure. Is there a solution to this?

Basically, when I'm at home I want to access the files on my Nextcloud file structure like I would do with any unraid smb share, via Windows explorer. And when I'm away or on a mobile device using Nextcloud app, access them through Nextcloud.

Edited by spiderben25
On 7/10/2020 at 11:47 AM, mon said:

When running a occ preview:generate-all I get a memory limit error even after changing to 1024MB. Nextcloud support guys say 512M should be enough.

Anyone ran into this?

Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 12288 bytes) at /config/www/nextcloud/lib/private/legacy/OC_Image.php#647

Edit:

Tried 2048M with the same result:

PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 2147483648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10641088 bytes) in /config/www/nextcloud/lib/private/legacy/OC_Image.php on line 649

I changed this setting in php-local.ini.

I have the exact same issue. Can't seem to find the cause though.. Also assigned 2048M to the memori limit. Could Redis be the cause of this problem?

20 hours ago, spiderben25 said:

+1, would love some answer on this.

I'm running into another problem. When I tried to access my nextcloud user files using Windows Explorer via SMB (\\ipofmyunraidserver\nextcloud\user), everything is read-only. When I'm in the parent folder (\\ipofmyunraidserver\nextcloud) I have no problem to write files. The nextcloud share is set up as a private share on Unraid and of course I'm using the right user/password combination.

So I guess nextcloud is not using Unraid permission structure. Is there a solution to this?

Basically, when I'm at home I want to access the files on my Nextcloud file structure like I would do with any unraid smb share, via Windows explorer. And when I'm away or on a mobile device using Nextcloud app, access them through Nextcloud.

I tried a few times. It seems like when the nextcloud share is set as a public share, I have read/write permissions on my nextcloud folder when I access it through SMB and put a dummy user/password combination. When it is set a a private share, I connect to it using my unraid user (which has R/W access) and can access only the parent files. The files under nextcloud/user/files are read only from my unraid user and r/w with the unraid/nobody user. 

Is there a solution beside setting the share to public?

20 hours ago, spiderben25 said:

I tried a few times. It seems like when the nextcloud share is set as a public share, I have read/write permissions on my nextcloud folder when I access it through SMB and put a dummy user/password combination. When it is set a a private share, I connect to it using my unraid user (which has R/W access) and can access only the parent files. The files under nextcloud/user/files are read only from my unraid user and r/w with the unraid/nobody user. 

Is there a solution beside setting the share to public?

Nextcloud isn't designed in a way to deal with the data being accessed another way, hence why they have the external storages app. In theory you should only access the data you have in the `/data` mount via the nextcloud interface otherwise if you're changing files, you have to force nextcloud to reindex everytime you make a change.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, andreidelait said:

www2.conf

Here is what I have configured in that file. Please do your research about each parameter. That way you will set the correct values for you.

pm = ondemand
pm.max_children = 300
pm.start_servers = 8
pm.min_spare_servers = 8
pm.max_spare_servers = 16
pm.max_requests = 500

Hey @andreidelait, what'd you use to calculate those values?

I found this link https://thisinterestsme.com/php-fpm-settings/ that shows some of the calculations, but can't figure out how much each process usually uses since the command they gave is returning zero. It also doesn't say anything about what max_requests should be.

image.thumb.png.a80893964b6cdfe8344800cb9a920cdc.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16

So on version 19, if you login, then close the window, then login again, you get this!!!!  Surely this is not by design.  The only way to get back to normal is to click on files and the normal screen comes up.  If you log out properly, it behaves normally.

Edited by Jessie
19 hours ago, MattTheQuaker said:

Hey @andreidelait, what'd you use to calculate those values?

I found this link https://thisinterestsme.com/php-fpm-settings/ that shows some of the calculations, but can't figure out how much each process usually uses since the command they gave is returning zero. It also doesn't say anything about what max_requests should be.

I still have them the same. I did not dig enough into this unfortunately.

As I understood at the time, you should consider your hardware configuration and your traffic. It depdens on how many users you have and how often your nextcloud is accessed to find a happy medium of these parameters.

Sorry but I'm not able to explain how should they be configured properly. For me they work as they are now.

Hello all,

I am currently running Nextcloud in the linuxserver docker. 

It is running on a Dell R710 server under Unraid.

image.thumb.png.95e4658b31ca8f02f09bd3448423def4.png

I have been upgrading the versions (I am on current -1) using the instructions found here:

It has been working fine up until this update.

When I try to do the upgrade I get this error:

An unhandled exception has been thrown:
OC\HintException: [0]: Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 19.0.0.12 to 9.1.0.16) ()

When I try to turn on or off maintenance mode I get the same error???

I tried to go into the Nextcloud container through the Webui and this is the error I get:

This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with PHP 7.1.
You are currently running 7.3.20.

The messages, to me, don't make sense - at all.

Anyone else run into this or maybe I screwed up the coding. This is a manual upgrade process.

I have tried several things with no joy. There is no search find in this forum for this particular error.

If anyone has a suggestion of where to go next I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance

15 hours ago, toolmanz said:

Hello all,

I am currently running Nextcloud in the linuxserver docker. 

It is running on a Dell R710 server under Unraid.

image.thumb.png.95e4658b31ca8f02f09bd3448423def4.png

I have been upgrading the versions (I am on current -1) using the instructions found here:

It has been working fine up until this update.

When I try to do the upgrade I get this error:

An unhandled exception has been thrown:
OC\HintException: [0]: Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 19.0.0.12 to 9.1.0.16) ()

When I try to turn on or off maintenance mode I get the same error???

I tried to go into the Nextcloud container through the Webui and this is the error I get:

This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with PHP 7.1.
You are currently running 7.3.20.

The messages, to me, don't make sense - at all.

Anyone else run into this or maybe I screwed up the coding. This is a manual upgrade process.

I have tried several things with no joy. There is no search find in this forum for this particular error.

If anyone has a suggestion of where to go next I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance

Have you updated the container before updating nextcloud?

Which version did you try to update from and to?

Any special reason you didn't use the webui update in nextcloud? That should work for most people.

Thanks saarg for the response.

It has been my experience that the webui update process in nextcloud does not work. Either hangs in process or can't be continued. 

Unless that has changed.

I was updating from ver 19.0.0.12 to 19.1 (not sure on the exact versions but it was close to that). The file I downloaded with the command "wget https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/latest.tar.bz2" was this "nextcloud-10.0.0.tar.bz2". Did I somehow get the wrong version?

I received a notification in the Nextcloud webgui when I went in last saying a new version was available.

I used the instructions as explained in my OP and when it came time to do the update, I got that error code.

Now I can't turn on or off the maintenance mode. Get same error.

I did hit the update function in the menu in Unraid docker - but I didn't realize that it actually did anything. That was AFTER I ran into this problem. Perhaps that's where the new PHP version came from?

Anyway Nextcloud is dead in the water currently.

Could I restore the appdata for nextcloud and get me back to the old version (I backup appdata every day)? Would that do it?

Anyway, if you can suggest a direction to head in for resolution that would be appreciated. 

I will continue to go through the files and see what that reveals. 

I guess if all else fails I can restore the day before appdata..... or copy the backup into the nextcloud directory.....

Cheers

Well I decided to do an appdata restore and nextcloud is up and running using the 19.0.0 version.

On the question of the internal updater is this what you mean?

image.thumb.png.a17f8b88fb3d0a77ec03af416c5399c9.png

Unless there has been changes made to the updater, it does not work very well. Hangs part way thru.

Thus is why I use the manual process.

Also note the versions in the screen shot.

Cheers

i changed since v18 to this manual update in nextcloud shell

sudo -u abc php /config/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar

and since then no more issues at all, at the beginning webui update worked always, then from some version up it stuck on backup old,

the manual update procedure from post 1 link also works, but this is simple and working.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, toolmanz said:

Thanks saarg for the response.

It has been my experience that the webui update process in nextcloud does not work. Either hangs in process or can't be continued. 

Unless that has changed.

I was updating from ver 19.0.0.12 to 19.1 (not sure on the exact versions but it was close to that). The file I downloaded with the command "wget https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/latest.tar.bz2" was this "nextcloud-10.0.0.tar.bz2". Did I somehow get the wrong version?

I received a notification in the Nextcloud webgui when I went in last saying a new version was available.

I used the instructions as explained in my OP and when it came time to do the update, I got that error code.

Now I can't turn on or off the maintenance mode. Get same error.

I did hit the update function in the menu in Unraid docker - but I didn't realize that it actually did anything. That was AFTER I ran into this problem. Perhaps that's where the new PHP version came from?

Anyway Nextcloud is dead in the water currently.

Could I restore the appdata for nextcloud and get me back to the old version (I backup appdata every day)? Would that do it?

Anyway, if you can suggest a direction to head in for resolution that would be appreciated. 

I will continue to go through the files and see what that reveals. 

I guess if all else fails I can restore the day before appdata..... or copy the backup into the nextcloud directory.....

Cheers

Of course it will not work to update to 19.1 if you download version 10.0.0. Latest should give you latest. It does not download version 10.0.0 here.

If you are using a subfolder for the reverse proxy, the webui usually doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

Hello, i have small quiestion 

I got issue with "The reverse proxy header configuration is incorrect, or you are accessing Nextcloud from a trusted proxy. If not, this is a security issue and can allow an attacker to spoof their IP address as visible to the Nextcloud. Further information can be found in the documentation."

I managed to fix it adding 1 row in to config file - 'trusted_proxies' => array('1Unraid local ip')

Is it secure enough or i need to add something else? 

I am using DNS verification with cloudflare and letsencrypt

20 hours ago, alturismo said:

then from some version up it stuck on backup old,

When that happens, if you give it a few minutes then refresh the page it will move on to the next step. The timeout coding seems to be too aggressive, showing failures when the process is actually just slowly completing in the background. Obviously this doesn't apply to real errors, just the ones involving backing up and downloading.