[Support] Linuxserver.io - Nextcloud

Hello, I am trying to install the Nextcloud container but am met with a PHP fatal error everytime I try to load the front end for the first time:
FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class 'Pimple\Container' not found in /config/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Utility/SimpleContainer.php:52

Does anyone have any idea why its throwing that error? This is hosted on an unRAID server 6.9.1

Pastebin link to error in log: https://pastebin.com/FFTYNvba

14 hours ago, skois said:

Try different editor, some times single quotes might be look same but they are very different

Went back over my config line by line and found a missing 'comma' at the end of a line!!!

Argrhhhhhh. Something so simple causing me lots headaches!!

I've been researching about nextcloud for the entire night, I'm seeing that I need to do ALOT of customization in order for me to get this working... I know this is "free", but is it just me or this is ridiculously complex compared to other docker containers? I originally thought it was a cool way of moving my OneDrive photos, but when I start reading all these customization to make nextcloud equipped with similar functionality, I'm starting to appreciate M365 more...

am I the only one feels this way?? I can't be that stupid...

Edited by takkkkkkk
8 minutes ago, takkkkkkk said:

I've been researching about nextcloud for the entire night, I'm seeing that I need to do ALOT of customization in order for me to get this working... I know this is "free", but is it just me or this is ridiculously complex compared to other docker containers? I originally thought it was a cool way of moving my OneDrive photos, but when I start reading all these customization to make nextcloud equipped with similar functionality, I'm starting to appreciate M365 more...

Nextcloud is a lot different that most containers, because i have or can have the functionality of a lot of the combined.
Usually most of the "Apps" are 1 click install, some of them need external services to run, like Redis, Collabora, ElasticSearch.
Some need extra packages installed like pdlib.  

This particular container is based on alpine which alpine does not have yet a stable pdlib package, it's still on testing, That's why LinuxServer team haven't included it yet.

You can however install the package, manually or by making a script to install it on every docker restart or every update of the docker.

But I would recommend be first more familiar with Nextcloud first.

• Like 1

So I updated to 21.0.1 today and I had a few errors after. I will address them here and I hope they will help others to fix them quick.

I had errors referring to my nginx config /.well-known/carddav, caldav, webfinger etc. Here is my nextcloud nginx config section about that

location ^~ /.well-known {
      location = /.well-known/carddav     { return 301 /remote.php/dav/; }
      location = /.well-known/caldav      { return 301 /remote.php/dav/; }
      location = /.well-known/webfinger   { return 301 /index.php$uri; }
      location ^~ /.well-known            { return 301 /index.php$uri; }

try_files $uri $uri/ =404;
      }

I had them different before and apparently they do not work in this version.

Also I had an error reffering to some db indices. Fo these you go into nextcloud container console and run

sudo -u abc php /config/www/nextcloud/occ db:add-missing-indices

And another one was reffering to default phone region. You have to add your phone region in config.php

'default_phone_region' => 'GB',

You have to replace GB with your country specific code. You can find it here

I hope this is useful info.

Edited by andreidelait
  • Thanks 5
1 hour ago, andreidelait said:

So I updated to 21.0.1 today and I had a few errors after. I will address them here and I hope they will help others to fix them quick.

I had errors referring to my nginx config /.well-known/carddav, caldav, webfinger etc. Here is my swag nginx config section about that

}

Also I had an error reffering to some db indices. Fo these you go into nextcloud container console and run

And another one was reffering to default phone region. You have to add your phone region in config.php

The well-known info needs to be added to the nextcloud nginx config and not the swag config. We've already updated this and mentioned it in the changelog for nextcloud.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, j0nnymoe said:

The well-known info needs to be added to the nextcloud nginx config and not the swag config. We've already updated this and mentioned it in the changelog for nextcloud.

Thank you for making it clear. I've edited the post above and I can confirm if works after moving that section from swag to nextcloud default config.

@andreidelait I got the same errors like you after the update. The missing indices and the default phone region is easy to fix, but I'am kinda struggling finding the correct file to edit for adjusting the cardav, caldav, webfinger issue.

3 hours ago, andreidelait said:

I had errors referring to my nginx config /.well-known/carddav, caldav, webfinger etc. Here is my nextcloud nginx config section about that

1 hour ago, j0nnymoe said:

Can you guys please hint me to the correct path where i can find/edit/adjust these entries. I'am kinda confused right now. I know I've edited this before, over a year ago and can't find it anymore.

Thanks

4 hours ago, andreidelait said:

}

Thank you!

All of these steps worked for me to get the "All checks passed" after upgrading to 21.0.1.

The only additional thing I had to do was clear my browser cache in order for it to get rid of this error:

Your web server is not properly set up to resolve "/.well-known/webfinger".

Edited by carnivorebrah
On 4/6/2021 at 11:31 PM, takkkkkkk said:

At first, it almost certainly must feel that way to most, I'm sure. But let's take a quick look at what all one can do with nextcloud (both by default, and by adding plugins from the hub) by thinking about what other containers we'd need in order to accomplish similar tasks:

• Syncthing (and various others) - Sync files between multiple devices automatically, retain backups of files/file versions, and so on
  • Youtransfer - web sharing of files to guests/etc
  • MakeMKV (ffmpeg) - Convert video files (seems ridiculous to have this in 'the cloud', but it's surprised me by being ridiculously handy)
  • Wiznote - Collaborative notes co-editing/sharing system
  • GooglePhotoSync- Except not just photos, and not limited to just you; anyone on your cloud can backup/sync all their google data (drive/photos/calendar/contacts) with a single server setup
  • Jitsi - Video conferencing, instant messaging, and screensharing (I'm really surprised at how well this works... I'd honestly expected it to be a crippling amount of load to run, but the user machines actually handle the vast majority of it. Very well implemented!)
  • Kanban - Project/task management/tracking
  • playSMS / Google Messages - Send text messages from your laptop/desktop to all those contacts you're automatically backup up each night to nextcloud from your iOS / Android device that has the mobile app installed
  • CherryMusic / Airsonic (etc) - Fairly decent music streaming app; allows you to use the media keys on your keyboard for control, and so on

The list goes on - frankly, nextcloud's power sometimes means danger for those who aren't willing to invest the time into configuration and tuning, as simply installing all the plugins to do all-the-things while doing nothing to tune them to their environment will usually result in an atrociously performing cloud mess. The amount of effort one has to go through to get a full nextcloud+plugins deployment (as opposed to just the base file sharing/sync functionality) operating smoothly and efficiently shouldn't be underestimated.

However, if you're willing to invest the time into it, tuning and tweaking the various components involved, you'll have a cloud that can rival almost anything out there from billion+ dollar companies. As long as one goes into it with their eyes open, understanding that they'll have a little homework in tuning php, postgres (it's far more performant for me than maria in my exp), nginx, and occasionally storage and network stack, they'll be mightily pleased with the outcome once it's finished.

1 hour ago, bastl said:

@andreidelait I got the same errors like you after the update. The missing indices and the default phone region is easy to fix, but I'am kinda struggling finding the correct file to edit for adjusting the cardav, caldav, webfinger issue.

Can you guys please hint me to the correct path where i can find/edit/adjust these entries. I'am kinda confused right now. I know I've edited this before, over a year ago and can't find it anymore.

Thanks

/config/nginx/site-confs/default

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bastl said:

Thanks

The file should be named "default" and located in \appdata\nextcloud\nginx\site-confs

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, j0nnymoe said:

I thought I was a little blind, couldn't find this changelog.  But there it was:

25.02.21: - Nginx default site config updated for v21 (existing users should delete /config/nginx/site-confs/default and restart the container).

Perfectly recreated with the new entries - and nicely commented too!

Anyone else getting this error when trying to update?

Initializing

Current version is 21.0.0.
Update to Nextcloud 21.0.1 available. (channel: "stable")
Following file will be downloaded automatically: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-21.0.1.zip
Open changelog ↗
Retry update

Check for expected files

The following extra files have been found:

.DS_Store

._.DS_Store

._remote.php

@carnivorebrah @BVD Thanks! same time I found it myself be testing, I got a message for your answers 😅

By digging around and testing I also found the post with the changelog @BoxOfSnoo is refering to

grafik.png.c20c15c9ba1d6b07aaf678e68fb5fc8e.png

https://docs.linuxserver.io/images/docker-nextcloud

Removing that file and recreate it was new for me. Never had any issues with my old config before. Last couple updates went fine until today.

Renaming the "default" file in "/config/nginx/site-confs" and restarting the docker at first wasn't the solution. Looks like Nextcloud is reading every file in that path when started up. Docker log showed the following and the web ui never came up.

grafik.png.ba91a9b187f8231660d1f4a748703dc2.png

So I removed the old default file from that path, restarted the docker and tada, Nextcloud was back and the errors are gone

BUT

with resetting the file, the  "Strict-Transport-Security“-HTTP-Header"  setting also was reset and had to be uncommented again. Same happened for "client_max_body_size" which i had configured to 10G before, by default it is set to 512M now. An upload with a 2GB testfile went trough. Weird 🤨

Hey all, I got myself in a quite a bit of a trouble..

I tried to update Nextcloud to the latest stable build through the UI, but it failed.

I was able to get everything fixed with the help of this:

and then manually moving the files from the Backup folder to their correct locations.

But! There was another update. I thought, surely this time it would work.

It didn't.

I tried to do the update through the terminal again, but this time around, I'm stuck in a "Internal server issue" page.

In the log, there is one particular error that keeps showing up:

"url": "/apps/dashboard/",
  "message": {
    "Exception": "TypeError",
    "Message": "Argument 1 passed to Icewind\\SMB\\BasicAuth::__construct() must be of the type string, null given, called in /config/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Backend/SMB.php on line 82",
    "Code": 0,
    "Trace": [
      {
        "file": "/config/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Backend/SMB.php",
        "line": 82,
        "function": "__construct",
        "class": "Icewind\\SMB\\BasicAuth",
        "type": "->"
      },

I've battled with this for hours now, and it's getting late. I'm hoping I can get this fixed through the weekend, since my team is going to need to use Nextcloud again next week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

image.thumb.png.662a8f3888ad90f17f9d5a432dfe939c.png

After attempting to update NC from 21.0 (I think) to 21.0.1 via web updater, I got an error.  I retried through the command line but I can't seem to get past this point.   Now I'm stuck at loop of either "In Maintenance Mode" or "Nextcloud will be updated to version 21.0.1" Any ideas?

So I updated to 21.0.1, and it become slower when first opening the file tab or the other main tabs like dashboard, or when opening the settings page where you check for updates. When files tab first is open, its as normal tho. When switching tabs, I think it also uses more CPU than it did before.
Anyone know the reason?

4 hours ago, REllU said:

Hey all, I got myself in a quite a bit of a trouble..

I tried to update Nextcloud to the latest stable build through the UI, but it failed.

I was able to get everything fixed with the help of this:

and then manually moving the files from the Backup folder to their correct locations.

But! There was another update. I thought, surely this time it would work.

It didn't.

I tried to do the update through the terminal again, but this time around, I'm stuck in a "Internal server issue" page.

In the log, there is one particular error that keeps showing up:

I've battled with this for hours now, and it's getting late. I'm hoping I can get this fixed through the weekend, since my team is going to need to use Nextcloud again next week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That's calling out the SMB PHP module, which I'd assume is an installed plugin - if you uninstall the plugin prior to your upgrade, do you still have issues?

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Mihle said:

So I updated to 21.0.1, and it become slower when first opening the file tab or the other main tabs like dashboard, or when opening the settings page where you check for updates. When files tab first is open, its as normal tho. When switching tabs, I think it also uses more CPU than it did before.
Anyone know the reason?

Right after an update, the cache will usually need to be rebuilt, as the DB indices are updated and the existing cache is essentially no longer 'valid' (the cache doesn't get it's existing contents updated). I'd give it some time and re-evaluate.

As to the phone details, you can configure them manually as well within config.php (same place you put the DB connection information etc) 👍

Edited by BVD