Convert Existing Reiserfs Disk to XFS

Hi Guys,

Are the steps below correct for converting an existing Reiserfs disk to XFS?

1. Transfer all the data off the drive

2. Stop the array

3. Change the file system for the emptied disk from Reiserfs to XFS

4. Start Array

Will that properly wipe the Reiserfs file system and replace it with XFS?

Hi Guys,

Are the steps below correct for converting an existing Reiserfs disk to XFS?

1. Transfer all the data off the drive

2. Stop the array

3. Change the file system for the emptied disk from Reiserfs to XFS

4. Start Array

Will that properly wipe the Reiserfs file system and replace it with XFS?

It's not strictly necessary to empty the disk, just that you have a copy elsewhere so that you don't mind the disk being empty after the process. Sometimes deleting the files off the disk takes a VERY long time, especially if you are transferring the files to another array disk, so it's quicker just to do a copy.

After you start the array with the new file system type requested, the disk will show as unmountable, and you will be offered the option to format it.

Other than those nits, your overview is fine.

• 1 month later...

I want to convert all disks in my array from reiserfs to xfs.

Can I follow these steps in sequence for each disk in my array ?

Or another way of asking the same question :

copy contents of disk1 to somewhere off the array

shutdown array

change disk1 to xfs

start array

copy data back into disk1

repeat for disk2 to disk5

Yes, that will do the trick.

"shutdown" array is actually just "stop" array => you don't need to shut the system down.

Ideally you should do the copies (both when copying the data somewhere else and when copying it back to the newly formatted XFS disk) with verification, to be CERTAIN everything is perfect; but undetected errors during a copy are very rare, so it's up to you whether you want to do that.    It will nearly double the time ... but gives you the peace-of-mind of KNOWING that all is well.

Just to clarify things, when you start the array after changing the format to XFS the disk will be shown as unmountable (at that point the configuration information is changed but the physical disk is unchanged).  You will however be given the option to format the disk (which only takes a couple of minutes) which will create an empty XFS file system on the disk.  You are then ready to copy data back to it.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Is it possible to:

stop array

change disk1 to xfs

start array

Use the parity disk to reconstruct disk1

No.  You will wind up formatting that disk and losing the data on them.  You have to spend the time and move the files around

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Is it possible to:

stop array

change disk1 to xfs

start array

Use the parity disk to reconstruct disk1

Just to elaborate.

Changing the disk to xfs will format it. Format means "write an empty filesystem to this disk". That is what it has always meant on every operating system you have ever used. unRAID treats this write of the empty filesystem just like it treats all other writes, but updating parity. So after you change the filesystem (format), parity will agree that the disk has an empty filesystem on it, and if you rebuild from parity you will get an empty filesystem.

There is already a very long sticky thread about converting to XFS at the top of this subforum.

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, tillkrueger said:

I know it's an old thread, but in line with what I'll be doing for the next few days/weeks.

Just to be sure, when I stop the array, then change the format of an empty disk, then start the array again and let unRAID reformat the empty disk to XFS, the parity is preserved, or not?

Just to elaborate, anything that is not strictly a read is a write operation. Deleting files is a write operation, and formatting a disk is also a write operation. Anytime you perform a write operation on a disk in the parity array, parity is updated. So when you format a disk that is part of the parity array, parity is updated to remain in sync with that write operation.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...

And finally, just to confirm:  When I copy the files off the disk to be reformatted, may I copy them to disks of smaller sizes?  I suspect yes but in that case, does it enhance the case for data verification?  Equally, might it be simpler to replace the drive with a new one, formatted to XFS, and write the files onto it from the old Reiserfs disk which can then be formatted and added to the array or otherwise disposed of?

I ask because I have a bunch of 1Tb disks but the two disks I need to convert to XFS are both 2Tb disks.  I'm wondering what would be the slickest, most efficient method of getting the job done?