What is VPN / OpenVPN?

testdasi

This is a good diagram

vpn-diagram.png

There are VPN providers.  Which you can use to connect to to anonymise traffic coming FROM your device. PIA would be an example of this

There are VPN servers you can run.  Which you can use to connect to your home from work for example and encrypt traffic through.  Like connecting to your LAN remotely.  This is what OpenVPN-AS is for...

There are VPN servers you can run.  Which you can use to connect to your home from work for example and encrypt traffic through.  Like connecting to your LAN remotely.  This is what OpenVPN-AS is for...

Thanks a ton.

But my external IP is not fixed. How would you get around that?

Wonder if there is any mechanism to broadcast my current external IP me securely?

What would I need to hide my tracks when downloading through torrents. The ISP provides a modem and gives me an IP-address. The moden is linked to an ASUS router. But how do I hide my IP?

Depends on how paranoi... err, privacy conscious you want to be. First things, first, is the ISP actually a modem? Only one LAN jack, no wireless broadcast?  If it has more than one LAN jack/broadcasts a wireless signal then you likely have Modem/Gateway/Router combo unit, which would need to be put into bridge mode in order to properly use your ASUS router.

I have my "router" (pfSense, not for the faint of heart) connect most of my devices through a Private Internet Access (often call PIA) VPN, there are many VPN providers out there, some good, some not so good.

I don't actually torrent on my local machines, I use a seedbox that's hosted elsewhere and has unlimited bandwidth.

What would I need to hide my tracks when downloading through torrents. The ISP provides a modem and gives me an IP-address. The moden is linked to an ASUS router. But how do I hide my IP?

Depends on how paranoi... err, privacy conscious you want to be. First things, first, is the ISP actually a modem? Only one LAN jack, no wireless broadcast?  If it has more than one LAN jack/broadcasts a wireless signal then you likely have Modem/Gateway/Router combo unit, which would need to be put into bridge mode in order to properly use your ASUS router.

I have my "router" (pfSense, not for the faint of heart) connect most of my devices through a Private Internet Access (often call PIA) VPN, there are many VPN providers out there, some good, some not so good.

I don't actually torrent on my local machines, I use a seedbox that's hosted elsewhere and has unlimited bandwidth.

My modem is indeed in fact a wireless router but has been put in bridge mode already and only one LAN cable goes from it to my router. Can you recommend a good VPN provider?

My modem is indeed in fact a wireless router but has been put in bridge mode already and only one LAN cable goes from it to my router. Can you recommend a good VPN provider?

PIA

Also Binhex has a docker container with deluge and vpn, very easy to use when you use PIA at least.

Basically to sum things up.

If you want to hide what you are doing from your ISP / Access Region Locked Information then you want to pay an VPN service provider.

If you want to be able to access your network privately and securely from anywhere on the internet then you can just run your own VPN service from within your network.

and if you really want to be shady and mysterious use Tor, there's scary shit on the Dark Webs

I use Tor but it has nothing to do with shady and mysterious nor the Dark Webs. Tor is free. VPN services are not.  ::)

You must be strapped for cash, a good VPN service only costs around $5, a month, you will get considerable better performance too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

and if you really want to be shady and mysterious use Tor, there's scary shit on the Dark Webs

I use Tor but it has nothing to do with shady and mysterious nor the Dark Webs. Tor is free. VPN services are not.  ::)

You must be strapped for cash, a good VPN service only costs around $5, a month, you will get considerable better performance too.

Haha, try telling that to "she-who-must-be-obeyed"  ;D

Don't eat lunch out twice a month. Problem solved.

And particularly, can it be set up for some applications only?

For instance, Paypal will cry foul if it sees I'm accessing the website from a different country. So maybe I want to exclude Chrome from VPN but allow Firefox. etc.

Or perhaps set a specific app to use servers from a specific country?

Is there an idiot's guide somewhere to set it up with unRAID?

For that level of control it is probably best to set it up on individual machines.

I have it set up on my firewall (pfSense), to exclude the following devices:

cellphone (location aware application that doesn't like the different area IP address)

unRAID (Plex)

Roku/Chromcast and like devices

Game consoles

I've tried setting up filters for specific sites, because Papa John's is one that doesn't play nice, I haven't had much luck, so I specified an additional IP that I just change my desktop to when I need to go to them.

or new pair of shoes for her, nice vpn subcription for you

or new pair of shoes for her, nice vpn subcription for you

VPN = very pretty necklace? ;-) problem solved

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk