Abit Ab9 Pro bios

cliander

Hi,

I have the Abit AB9 Pro motherboard and I'm wondering if there is a way I can tell which bios I'm using.

I'm thinking I need to update the bios, but I can't tell and I don't want to possibly mess something up if it's unnecessary.  Also, I'm trying to create a bootable usb drive to do it (since I don't have a floppy), but I'm not having much luck, so any help with that would be appreciated.

Anyway... will updating the bios mess anything up as far as unraid is concerned?  I'm idling at 100w with a celeron e1200 (65w), which I think is a bit high (however I do have a video card, small and fanless, don't know the specs off hand because I'm at work, but I don't suspect it would use much.)  I do also have 3 x 4 in 3 hard drive bays and 2 singles, so maybe they are driving up the wattage, but  I noticed that one of the bios updates fixed the speedstep support, so maybe that will help, but I don't know if I have that update already or not.

Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have the Abit AB9 Pro motherboard and I'm wondering if there is a way I can tell which bios I'm using.

I'm thinking I need to update the bios, but I can't tell and I don't want to possibly mess something up if it's unnecessary.  Also, I'm trying to create a bootable usb drive to do it (since I don't have a floppy), but I'm not having much luck, so any help with that would be appreciated.

Anyway... will updating the bios mess anything up as far as unraid is concerned?  I'm idling at 100w with a celeron e1200 (65w), which I think is a bit high (however I do have a video card, small and fanless, don't know the specs off hand because I'm at work, but I don't suspect it would use much.)  I do also have 3 x 4 in 3 hard drive bays and 2 singles, so maybe they are driving up the wattage, but  I noticed that one of the bios updates fixed the speedstep support, so maybe that will help, but I don't know if I have that update already or not.

Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I also have the Abit AB9 Pro board so you can take this coming from a fellow user.  My opinion: if it ain't broke don't fix it!!  Updating the BIOS could cause components to be registered in a different order which can through unRAID off sometimes; its not hard to recover from but the array will usually not start if it is to far off from what it was expecting.

From what I can tell the only way to tell what BIOS you are running is to boot up and hit delete to get into the BIOS settings.  From there you can find what version you are running.  Updating the BIOS will probably not help with the Speedstep issue as I don't think stock unRAID can take advantage of it... I could be wrong though.

I've spent a great deal of time looking through the BIOS but I can only find one thing that resembles a version and that's this:

i965-W627EHG-6A79LA1AC-16

Which leads me to believe I'm running version 16.  On the site it says that version 17 fixed "The 'EIST adjusting' function now works as intended."  So I feel like an update might benefit me, but if it's not supported in unraid I guess I won't take the risk.

I thought, cpufreq was included in 4.5, though admittedly, I have little to no understanding of how that works.

I suppose I could permanently undervolt/underclock as I'm not doing a whole lot with unraid at this point, it's just a straight up file server.