[Ended] Newegg.com $57 iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS-RED 3 x 5.25" to 5 x 3.5" HSB

From the 5x3 review thread:

Test #1 - iStarUSA

Unit is running with all defaults. Ambient temperature here in the room is 21C. Starting temps on all drives range from 29C to 31C.

During the preclear sessions all temperatures remained about 31C with the occasional spike to 32C. Very good temperature management.

I thought the 5in3 was like sucking a milkshake through a stir straw for air, and they over heated if they were all lit up.

Its because people insist on having quiet fans which are by design made with low static pressure specs.  5 in 3 requires a high static pressure fan which are not quiet.

I prefer these as they have nice hot swap trays rather than stacking all the drives in the same air space. Not loud. In warmer months, I have put a floor fan in front due to one HDD that gets very warm when parity is checked. Otherwise they are perfect. ;)

iStarUSA BPU-350SATA-RED 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" SAS/SATA 6.0 Gb/s Hot-Swap Cage - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215176

16-215-176-TS.jpg.f120700c29f0cd0382266c0f07e8f06d.jpg

Oh man. I've been waiting for these things to go on sale for months. One day I don't check the boards and miss the deal

I've had that happen to me a few times... or I wait to make a big purchase (TV), I wait weeks to make sure I want to spend the money. I finally do, just out of the return window, next size up goes on sale for $10 more than I paid.