New Dual Xeon 2670v1 build with EP2C602-4L/D16 for vt-d, nas, plex, etc.

Hey there,

I write from an Unraid vm which is my main OS for private and work use - using a 4790k with a Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force motherboard I bought out of desperation when I had no money. Now I got a job, so less time to derp around, but more money to spend. I know want to step up the game a bit.

What do I aim at?

- 2 windows 10 vms with gpus + other low load vms

- plex and crashplan (docker/plugin)

- being able to access the storage from outside of the local network

- being able to turn on the server from outside of the local network

- being able to make use of Lan bonding, at least using two 2*1gbit nics.

Partlist:

Type -------Part --------------------Price (ger)

CPU: 2*2670v1150 €

Board: EP2C602-4L/D16330 €http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EP2C602-4L/D16#Specifications

Case: Fractal Design XL 2130€http://imgur.com/7LAwA9M

PSU: Corsair RM850i 150 € Other suggestions with two Cpu 8 Pins?

Heatsink: 2*Arctic Freezer i3260€semi passive - like the psu

Ram: ????????€

adds up to: 820 € so far, however I can get 19% back on all of the parts.

Some Points:

- As for the network I got a non static (real DSL) ipv4 address. (44mbps up)

- I do need to buy a router which is capable of port-forwarding, so I can access Unraid from the Internet, I heard most Fritz-box units work? The Router I got won't do. (Mainboard has IPMI)

- I Found a good link for cheap ram some days ago, but can't seem to find it again. Any suggestions on ram in the EU area? Want to head to something like 64 or 128 GB

If you have reservation, or any hints for me as for why this does not work, or how it might be better please speak up - I know at least some people do have that exact board. Especially the ram, the router, and maybe another PSU would be something.

Hey there,

I write from an Unraid vm which is my main OS for private and work use - using a 4790k with a Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force motherboard I bought out of desperation when I had no money. Now I got a job, so less time to derp around, but more money to spend. I know want to step up the game a bit.

What do I aim at?

- 2 windows 10 vms with gpus + other low load vms

- plex and crashplan (docker/plugin)

- being able to access the storage from outside of the local network

- being able to turn on the server from outside of the local network

- being able to make use of Lan bonding, at least using two 2*1gbit nics.

Partlist:

Type -------Part --------------------Price (ger)

CPU: 2*2670v1150 €

Board: EP2C602-4L/D16330 €http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EP2C602-4L/D16#Specifications

Case: Fractal Design XL 2130€http://imgur.com/7LAwA9M

PSU: Corsair RM850i 150 € Other suggestions with two Cpu 8 Pins?

Heatsink: 2*Arctic Freezer i3260€semi passive - like the psu

Ram: ????????€

adds up to: 820 € so far, however I can get 19% back on all of the parts.

Some Points:

- As for the network I got a non static (real DSL) ipv4 address. (44mbps up)

- I do need to buy a router which is capable of port-forwarding, so I can access Unraid from the Internet, I heard most Fritz-box units work? The Router I got won't do. (Mainboard has IPMI)

- I Found a good link for cheap ram some days ago, but can't seem to find it again. Any suggestions on ram in the EU area? Want to head to something like 64 or 128 GB

If you have reservation, or any hints for me as for why this does not work, or how it might be better please speak up - I know at least some people do have that exact board. Especially the ram, the router, and maybe another PSU would be something.

Check out this thread for links: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46077.0

You should be able to find those CPU's as well as a boat load of RAM for much cheaper. I believe I paid 60$ per CPU and 55 for 64GB ECC RAM. Something around there.

I've read the whole 60+ pages on that one, I just do not find that link for the ram again.

The prices in the Usa or even Canada are better then in Germany. I do only get the stuff so "cheap" because of the pound being so weak atm.

I could get a pair of two cpus with sr0kx for 120 € though - but then I could not get the tax back. If I exclude the tax on my 150 € option i'l be at 121€ without the need to import stuff form outside of the eu.

that ram price of yours is what i was hoping for. So that the ram I desire will go for about 100 €

Best method would be to run a VPN server on your router if it supports it. Then you can connect to it from anywhere and your machine will act like it is on the LAN. If you're in the market for a new router anyway I would recommend any of the ASUS ones loaded with Merlin firmware.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I would like to recommend that if you are buying a new router anyway, why not look into building a pfSense box? LOTS of control there, and you can roll your own hardware for it.

For a while I ran pfSense in a VM on unRAID, but when I took the array down my internet went out too :/ So I built a stand alone box to run pfSense and am loving it.

I would like to recommend that if you are buying a new router anyway, why not look into building a pfSense box? LOTS of control there, and you can roll your own hardware for it.

For a while I ran pfSense in a VM on unRAID, but when I took the array down my internet went out too :/ So I built a stand alone box to run pfSense and am loving it.

Thoughts on hardware for a modern pfsense box? I know use case will drive hardware, just curious to your setup. I have been looking to build my own box, planning to tinker in a VM before deciding to dedicate a box to it.

I am not into networking enough to have dealt with pfsense before. Can the box I run pfsense on establish the connection to my isp directly? Or is the advice that I get a vpn capable router and then put a pfsense machine behind it, for security reasons?

My network needs are basic for outgoing and incoming traffic to the internet, but I need 3-4 stable wired gigabit connections and some wireless (n) stuff. I do have a phone number I would want to keep using, but probably a pfsense router would not be ideal for that configuration?

I'd be willing to build a small machine as a router. If it saves me the purchase of a pre build consumer one, but it certainly would be overkill for me to set one up just to secure my network.

---

As for the xeons, i'd be able to go for the 2680v1 instead of the 2670v1 for as little as 25-50 € plus per piece. While I do not need the total compute power of that monster anyway, I'd go for it to the single/dual core Performance which is still relevant for games. I read that unlike with the 2670 there never was a stepping issue regarding vt-d so I should be fine.

- If I realy go for the build with the fractal XL 2, I might just put that itx board into that tower as well. Probably more then enough space if I mod the optical bays to hold a ITX Motherboard. Might look ugly though...

pfSense replaces your router hardware. There is this great

I use an AMD AM1 5350 with an Intel PT1000/PRO quad port NIC with 4 GB of RAM. I use a board that takes 19V laptop PSU instead of an ATX PSU. Works a tread using the strong encryption for PIA, and hosting my own VPN. No throughput issues.

I got a bunch of Laptop psus sitting in boxes, so that might be an option.

I've read into pfsense a little, but all the Tutorials I've found use a isp roter in front of pfsense. As my isp Router is a hunk of Junk i'd still have to buy that Router in front of pfsense, hence why I would want to establish the dsl connection via pfsense itself. If that isn't possible i doubt the whole Setup would be cost effective.

If it's possible however i'd go that way. As I would probably install that same setup for a bunch of people.

I got a bunch of Laptop psus sitting in boxes, so that might be an option.

I've read into pfsense a little, but all the Tutorials I've found use a isp roter in front of pfsense. As my isp Router is a hunk of Junk i'd still have to buy that Router in front of pfsense, hence why I would want to establish the dsl connection via pfsense itself. If that isn't possible i doubt the whole Setup would be cost effective.

If it's possible however i'd go that way. As I would probably install that same setup for a bunch of people.

I think you're confusing router with modem... If you have say phone service from your cable or fiber internet provider then you will have to use their gateway but can request they put it in bridge mode. Bridge mode disables all the internal firewalls and routing so that it is effectively a modem instead of a gateway.

My setup at home is Comcast cable wire > modem > pfSense > networks

yes, in germany stand alone modems are unusual, you get a router/modem combination 99% of the time - even small business customers do.

You have the option to upgrade to something better, like a fritzbox, but that comes with a monthly fee and you won't own the router in the end.

The Router/modem combination I got form my ISP is a big pile of h******** that is supposed to have all the features I need, but it is well documented that the box is not able to serve, and I knew about that fact before I got it. Still purchasing a Router myself would have come cheaper then renting one.

I was curious how pfsense would be able to do the modems job as that seemed to be out of the question for me. In the end, I would have to buy a modem, and build a itx router as well, which won't give me a lot of benefits in my use case.

So I probably go for a Asus router, or check out the market for other brands/models that will fulfill my needs.