Quad Port Intel NIC

NotYetRated

I used one of these in passthrough to a pfSense VM, I had an issue that a dual port did not have where my UPNP-NAT was flakey, once I went to bare metal it was fine.

Aww pooh thats what I was planning to use this for.

Unfortunately for me I cannot see that unRaid is picking it up at all, tried 2 different slots. Going to drop it in my desktop to make sure the cards not a dud.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I used one of these in passthrough to a pfSense VM, I had an issue that a dual port did not have where my UPNP-NAT was flakey, once I went to bare metal it was fine.

Unfortunately for me I cannot see that unRaid is picking it up at all, tried 2 different slots. Going to drop it in my desktop to make sure the cards not a dud.

To be clear, UPNP-NAT with console gaming was the only area I had issues with. Everything else was solid.

Try:

# lspci |grep -i 'network'

# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

See if there is anything in there.

Try:

# lspci |grep -i 'network'

# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

See if there is anything in there.

I don't run this config anymore, I use bare metal now. Plus, I don't have a build for it anymore as I downgraded the hardware in the machine from an AMD FX 6300 on an ATX board to an AM1 5350 on a mini-ITX board (way less power draw!).

The curious part is that when I was running a dual port NIC, the UPNP-NAT issue was not present, it was only when I upgraded to the quad that the issue presented itself. The quad has no issues on bare metal either, so it was likely a virtualization issue. The quad showed up as five devices, one was a PCI bridge, and four devices for the NICs. So I guess instead of re-engineering the Dual card, they just stuck in a PCI bridge and doubled up the card?

Oops I meant to quote the other gentlemen.

Sorry, wasn't intended for you.

No worries, we've all done it, I probably would have realized it if I had fully read the commands and noticed you were just checking for the card.

1st gen of those NICs only work on pcie 1.0 slots, that was fixed for later versions, don't remember the exact model of the later ones but should appear on a forum search.

I checked my purchase history to verify, that is indeed the card I ordered, it worked in a Biostar TA970 v3 or v5 board and is currently humming along in a ASRock AM1H-ITX, both have PCI Express 2.0 ports, so that card should be fine.

OK found it:

Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad Port EXPI9404PT - PCIe 1.0 only

Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad Port EXPI9404PTL - PCIe 1.0 or 2.0

Both can be full height or low profile.

I have one EXPI9404PTL and still has some problems on some PCIe 2.0 slots (on my supermicro boards it only works on the bottom slot) and it doesn't work on PCIe 3.0 slots.

Odd, still not showing on my main system. I went ahead and dropped it in to a backup system and plopped an unRaid trial down and it is not recognized there either. Oddly enough, it is recognized in my windows machine.

Have you tried changing the pcie version in the bios to gen 1 or 2 if that option is available?

Because of my troubles with the Pro/1000 PT I bough a i340-T4, it's a more recent model, works on any board I tried, half the TDP also.

The i350-T4 is even newer, but careful with Chinese sellers at prices that look to good to be true, that ones look counterfeit, e.g., look at the unbranded crystal, see here for how to spot them:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/comparison-intel-i350-t4-genuine-vs-fake.6917/

Archived