Keyboard Layout Change for unRAID console

• Hi all,

I have read in old posts that the kbd package of the Slackware distribution can be used to change keyboard layouts for the unRAID console.

Since the announcement post for 6.2 RC1 mentioned the "sync" with Slackware 14.2 explicitly, I thought the package might be included in unRAID now (also this being a very basic functionality that would make sense).

But trying the loadkeys command it seems the package is not installed.

• Do I just have to enable it somehow?
    • Or what is the procedure currently to use loadkeys?
    • In case the package is not included in RC1 I suggest it should be in the next RC

Thanks & regards,

Marcel

• Like 1

ok...I installed the Nerd Tools plug-in..then installed the kbd package and that did let me change the keyboard layout for the console successfully.

I would still suggest that at least the kbd package should make its way into the core unRAID. Nothing nerdy about changing the keyboard layout! ;)

To make the setting persistent I had to edit the go file accordingly. I think if there was a selection field in the webGUI and the kbd package installed by default it would make things much easier.

What is unfortunate though is that the otherwise awesome  :) local webGUI doesn't care about the changed keyboard layout.  :(

Is there any way to fix that?

Did I miss something? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Marcel

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Agree. I'm fairly new to unraid and remote access is great, but I'm just evaluating whether I want to run it and use it as a desktop machine hosting several VMs, and I'm stuck because I can't set the keyboard.

It would be great if it was just a setting to change the layout of the connected keyboard, but also would be helpful if it was part of the usb installer to set it right from the beginning.

[I've installed nerdpack, kbd, and typed "loadkeys uk " but it doesn't appear to change anything]

• 4 weeks later...