RFC: 6.2-rc2 experimental shfs hard-link support & appdata share discussion

So now that this was listed in the 6.2 release as a feature is it safe to assume this is no longer experimental? Will this continue to stay as a feature in unRAID or is there a possibility of it being removed? It would be nice to have a definitive answer to this from limetech including an answer to Ignitenz post.

Do we still need to do the changes from Page 1 to get hardlinks working in rc3?

Good points.  Yes hard links are now supported.

Side question while I'm at work and not really able to investigate fully...  What is the maximum # of hardlinks per file supported  (Right now I'm testing with ~10,000 hardlinks per file with no problems, but in the next day or so I want to do a test with ~1,000,000 hardlinks per file)...  My quick research seemed to indicate that it would max out at the number of inodes available that the fs was mounted with...

It's going to be whatever the underlying file system supports.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now that this was listed in the 6.2 release as a feature is it safe to assume this is no longer experimental? Will this continue to stay as a feature in unRAID or is there a possibility of it being removed? It would be nice to have a definitive answer to this from limetech including an answer to Ignitenz post.

Good points.  Yes hard links are now supported.

no

Thanks Squid,

On 6.2.4, it seems I still cannot use hard links. Trying cp -l gives me the cross-device link error, and in CouchPotato, the option to link then fall back to copy will always result in a copy. If my understanding of the feature is correct, this should work right? If so, what should I investigate to solve the issue?

no

Thanks Squid,

On 6.2.4, it seems I still cannot use hard links. Trying cp -l gives me the cross-device link error, and in CouchPotato, the option to link then fall back to copy will always result in a copy. If my understanding of the feature is correct, this should work right? If so, what should I investigate to solve the issue?

What is the command you are using? You cannot hard link across user shares so maybe that is your problem.

no

Thanks Squid,

What is the command you are using? You cannot hard link across user shares so maybe that is your problem.

I would actually further generalize that, since I don't believe you can cross link between mount points.

I'm using

cp -l /original/file /dest/file

This file is located in a user share which has cache activated, but it is in fact from another user share: Downloads usershare to Plex usershare. I thought that it could work while the file was in the cache, but I understand that this is not possible.

I'm using

cp -l /original/file /dest/file

This file is located in a user share which has cache activated, but it is in fact from another user share: Downloads usershare to Plex usershare. I thought that it could work while the file was in the cache, but I understand that this is not possible.

Its not the cache thats the problem.  Its that your attempting a link between mount points (user shares) which can't be done.

Its not the cache thats the problem.  Its that your attempting a link between mount points (user shares) which can't be done.

Totally understand. So i'll just kill the Downloads usershare and move it to the Plex usershare, then all the links should work (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks a lot!