Nvidia driver installation crashes.

Hi

I am struggling to get my Nvidia drivers working on my GTX 970 SC from EVGA and windows 10. I can in fact create and install the VM and windows 10, but as soon as I install Nvidia graphics drivers, my VM's screen goes black and my VM freezes. When I go back to the web GUI, the VM appears to be running, then I need to force stop the VM and then start it again to get it running again. Everything loads up normally without the Nvidia drivers installed. So, i then took my extra gt g210 just to see if it would work, but i get the same problem. Here is my PC specs:

Skylake 6600K;

Gtx 970 SC - EVGA;

16 (2x8) GB Corsair DDR4 memory;

2 x 250gb Samsung SSD's (Cache Drives);

2x 2TB Seagate Storage drives;

Please let me know if you know how to fix this problem.Thank you

The G210 I used to use for testing did the exact same thing.

This card worked fine in Linux/OE (needed legacy drivers) not so much in Windows. I think it was better with passing the rom, so I'd recommend trying that.

Fortunately when this happens your entire server does not lockup, as that was the norm for me.

I have a feeling even without installing the drivers (using basic display drivers) multiple reboots or power offs of the VM will result in strange behavior, however I'd like to be wrong in that assumption.

• 1 month later...

A few questions relating to this:

1)  What version of unRAID OS are you attempting to run?  Please try both 6.1.9 and then the latest 6.2 release when you can.

2)  Does your system have an on-board graphics controller in addition to your GTX GPU?

3)  Have you tried creating a VM using OVMF and SeaBIOS?  Q35 and i440fx?

• 2 weeks later...

I used UNRAID 6. Yes, I use on-board display and I use it for the UNRAID stick to boot. I tried the SeaBios and i440fx (default settings) and then I get this Driver problem (I am able to install windows). With that said, I have also tried OVMF and then my VM restarts the entire time (loop). So I never got it to work. I swapped the 210 (testing purposes) with my GTX 970 and my R9 380, but no luck. I get the same problem on the Radeon side and it does not reset, but instead it crashes and I have to close it.

I used UNRAID 6. Yes, I use on-board display and I use it for the UNRAID stick to boot. I tried the SeaBios and i440fx (default settings) and then I get this Driver problem (I am able to install windows). With that said, I have also tried OVMF and then my VM restarts the entire time (loop). So I never got it to work. I swapped the 210 (testing purposes) with my GTX 970 and my R9 380, but no luck. I get the same problem on the Radeon side and it does not reset, but instead it crashes and I have to close it.

There are many version of unRAID 6 available.  I suggest you try the latest stable release (version 6.2; released today) and report back if you are still having issues.

Yes, Yes, Yes! It worked... If it was for the stable UNRAID 6.2 release or maybe i'm just lucky, I don't know... I installed the Windows 10 OS's and installed the graphics cards drivers. The VM's didn't crash! So installed al the rest of the programmes and i enjoyed it!

Thank you all for your time and support!