unRaid newbie questions.. ssh, telnet, web gui and more..

Hello! I am currently looking for a new NAS solution for me and my family. The NAS will function as a backup server for our computers.

I have read a lot about unRaid and I like the solution where I have a parity disc and data discs where data only will be written to one disc.

I also like that I can remove the disc and just insert it in another computer and read the disc and get out the data of that disc. That is certainly

not that easy with a real RAID-solution.

However, I have installed unRaid on one of my HP Microsevers (gen8) and it is up and running. Tried the web gui and got a trial key.

This is the point where I am getting dissapointed. Where are all the settings? I can't even set up SSH from the web gui, just an old ftp?

Who uses FTP over Internet when you can use ssh which is much safer?

I am missing a lot of settings that I can find in, for example, FreeNas, Nas4free, synology products, Qnap products and so on.

Am I missing something here? Where can I find plugins easy? Thought every NAS had a search function and install plugins right from

the web gui? This product does not feel very "polished" or even finished yet, especially not the web gui..

I will probably go for FreeNas instead, as that feels fore polished and are free (not a blocker for me, but when the free alternative feels more polished it feels weird to pay for this product)

Is there any good plugins for unRaid so that you can set up ssh from web qui, disable telnet service and so on?

Telnet should be considered as a security vulnerability and I can not in my life understand how that service is enabled by default on unRaid?!

Thanks in advance, hope I can get some plugins advices so I can do more from the web gui.. Or at least point me in the right direction if I am totally out in the blue here..

Am I missing something here? Where can I find plugins easy? Thought every NAS had a search function and install plugins right from

the web gui? This product does not feel very "polished" or even finished yet, especially not the web gui..

Install Community Applications (See my sig for the link)

Hello! I am currently looking for a new NAS solution for me and my family. The NAS will function as a backup server for our computers.

I have read a lot about unRaid and I like the solution where I have a parity disc and data discs where data only will be written to one disc.

I also like that I can remove the disc and just insert it in another computer and read the disc and get out the data of that disc. That is certainly

not that easy with a real RAID-solution.

However, I have installed unRaid on one of my HP Microsevers (gen8) and it is up and running. Tried the web gui and got a trial key.

This is the point where I am getting dissapointed. Where are all the settings? I can't even set up SSH from the web gui, just an old ftp?

Who uses FTP over Internet when you can use ssh which is much safer?

I am missing a lot of settings that I can find in, for example, FreeNas, Nas4free, synology products, Qnap products and so on.

I will probably go for FreeNas instead, as that feels fore polished and are free (not a blocker for me, but when the free alternative feels more polished it feels weird to pay for this product)

Is there any good plugins for unRaid so that you can set up ssh from web qui, disable telnet service and so on?

Telnet should be considered as a security vulnerability and I can not in my life understand how that service is enabled by default on unRaid?!

Thanks in advance, hope I can get some plugins advices so I can do more from the web gui.. Or at least point me in the right direction if I am totally out in the blue here..

The recommended method of connecting to the nas remotely is through vpn. If you install the community applications that Squid linked to, you'll see a couple of openvpn server docker containers in there.

Generally, do not expose your nas/unraid to the Internet

I never use ftp to connect to my nas. I vpn in and then use putty (ssh) and smb to connect (ssh works with passwords out of the box, if you want to generate certs for passwordless entry, you have to do that through command line I believe)

Thank you for your answers! :)

Is Docker the prefered way to add functions to unRaid? unRaid is a quite stripped distribution from the beginning, what I have seen, is that correct? =)

I like the docker support, there unRaid is better than other distros.

EDIT: I will never ever expose Telnet or other unsecure services to Internet. All my servers are behind a firewall and I'm usually use VPN (openVPN) to connect to them, but sometimes ssh is good to have as well. ssh with public/private keys, not password protected and that I want to do through the web gui. But I can edit the open ssh config as well, but it would be great to be able to do it via the web gui..

Thank you for your answers! :)

Is Docker the prefered way to add functions to unRaid? unRaid is a quite stripped distribution from the beginning, what I have seen, is that correct? =)

I like the docker support, there unRaid is better than other distros.

EDIT: I will never ever expose Telnet or other unsecure services to Internet. All my servers are behind a firewall and I'm usually use VPN (openVPN) to connect to them, but sometimes ssh is good to have as well. ssh with public/private keys, not password protected and that I want to do through the web gui. But I can edit the open ssh config as well, but it would be great to be able to do it via the web gui..

Here's my suggestion don't forward the port for SSH. Public/Private Keys is a good security move, but even then I wouldn't forward the port for SSH. If you are outside of your LAN and want to connect via SSH first connect to your VPN then SSH.

Dockers is the preferred method at this point, but plugins are fine for some things. Also I hear you on unRAID being pretty basic out of the "box", but that's both a pro and a con depending on who you ask.