virtualizing esxi under unraid

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have VMWare ESXi 6.5 Working in my UnRaid.

After great deal of research I learn how to do it.

How to do it: I have two answers to this. Short & Long.

Short Answer:

1) Use Linux template to create ESXi VM.

2) VMWare do not like any VirtIO devices.

3) Change NIC type from virtio to "e1000".

4) Ensure 2GB for primary disk.

5) Change Disk Bus Type to "USB"

Pre-requisite: A working Forward and reverse DNS Record. You can work-around this requirement using host file.

Long Answer:

Tip: Unless you know each option in XML File, do not copy someone else's XML file to create your VM. Otherwise you would be reading this article.

Step 1: Configure Virt-Manager to manage your unRaid KVM host. (Use Spaceinvader One's video to learn how to it ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxNCUkt34pk&t=405s

Why: Having GUI utility to create/configure XML file is easier then wasting hours to research and fix a small issue.

Step 2: Create new VM from Linux template (Name it ESXi_VM) using UnRaid web-interface.

IMPORTANT: Do not power it on as we need to customize it using Virt-Manager later.

TIP: I gave all CPU and Memory to it because I would be hosting all subsequent VMs in it.

Step 3: Now, assuming you have completed Step1 and have ability to manage VMs using Virt-Manager. Open ESXi_VM and change following two options

1) Change NIC type from virtio to "e1000".  (See NIC_Config screenshot attached for more info.)

2) Change Disk Bus Type to "USB". (See Disk_Config screenshot attached for more info.)

Step 4: Now, you will be able to do rest of installation without any issues. (If you need guidance regarding what to select, you can refer to Paul's video showing installation.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJpAH93gcs

NIC_Config.PNG.f359612a167060b66b97ad85aa114c18.PNG

Disk_Config.PNG.ac64ddec03773d3ecc2504365d5f6b4b.PNG

TIP: I gave all CPU and Memory to it because I would be hosting all subsequent VMs in it.

Interested to see how that works for you. I suspect quite poorly, because the booting OS (slack) and the KVM layer both need memory and CPU to do their job of emulation. I'd recommend leaving core 0 and at LEAST 2GB of RAM unallocated.
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't have to use Virt-Manager.

The Disk Bus Type can be edited in the unRAID Webgui of the VM.

For changing the NIC type edit the XML and find the fallowing section and change the model type:

<interface type='bridge'>

<mac address='52:54:00:fd:9f:eb'/>

<source bridge='br0'/>

<target dev='vnet1'/>

<model type='e1000'/>

<alias name='net0'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>

</interface>

Next question is, which is the best Disk Bus Type for datastores on which placing VMs. Worring about performance when using USB...

• 3 weeks later...