Squid

Additional Scripts For User.Scripts Plugin

230 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am getting ready to shrink two drives out of my array and was reading through the wiki and I have a question.

this is the first step.

Make sure that the drive you are removing has been removed from any inclusions or exclusions for all shares, including in the global share settings.

I am constantly having new data written to my server how do I prevent new data from being written to the drive I am trying to clear and remove?

Because one of the later steps says

While the script is running, the Main screen may show invalid numbers for the drive, ignore them. Important! Do not try to access the drive, at all!

I am removing two 6TB drives in total, I saw that you can only remove one at a time witch is fine.  My issue is that a clear takes a very long time to clear and I can't have my server down for that amount of time.

What do I need to do to make sure the dive that I am clearing does not get accessed or written to?

10 minutes ago, sgibbers17 said:

I am getting ready to shrink two drives out of my array

The method you are using is very long and has some risky aspects if you happen to mistype a command.

I strongly recommend doing it the "easy" way and rebuild parity with a new config. That way you can simply remove the drives as is, and if you find out that you accidentally left some data on them, it's easy enough to mount them with the Unassigned Devices plugin and copy the data back to the array.

Any time you do major reconfigurations to the server you are taking on risk. Do you have backups of any data you can't afford to lose? Are all your drives healthy?

Thanks.  I was trying to avoid rebuilding the parity, I don't have anything really important on the server I'll just make sure I have a backup of the stuff I'd rather not lose just incase.

Too bad there isn't a just a button to remove a drive an unraid would just redistribute the data for you then remove it.  I've been wanting that since v4.7

51 minutes ago, sgibbers17 said:

Too bad there isn't a just a button to remove a drive an unraid would just redistribute the data for you then remove it.  I've been wanting that since v4.7

Well a button wouldn't quite be enough to suit some people in the details regarding the redistribution. And of course it would still take a long time to either clear disks or rebuild parity.

As for redistributing data, have you looked at the Unbalance plugin?