[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

So, is this thing ready for Prime-Time yet ? 9_9

I had it installed. I fiddled around with it for a while. I had it "running" but only at it's most baseline of functionality. 

Recently I just killed it off and uninstalled it. Can I try it again now and not have to fiddle with it (like my other docker apps that just run) ?

I'd just like to reduce some of my AD exposure and annoyances, and ideally, I like to achieve that with a simple install and ONLY a leisurely application of my attention to perhaps tune or tweak it's features ? 

1 hour ago, gee said:

So, is this thing ready for Prime-Time yet ? 9_9

I had it installed. I fiddled around with it for a while. I had it "running" but only at it's most baseline of functionality. 

Recently I just killed it off and uninstalled it. Can I try it again now and not have to fiddle with it (like my other docker apps that just run) ?

I'd just like to reduce some of my AD exposure and annoyances, and ideally, I like to achieve that with a simple install and ONLY a leisurely application of my attention to perhaps tune or tweak it's features ? 

I've been running it for weeks with no issue (overall been running it for months) The only "fiddling" was when the image was moved from alpine to debian and there was a workaround needed. Other than that, works great.

• Upvote 1

Anyone have any advice for trying to figure out what sites to whitelist when things aren't working?

For example - when I am using PiHole I can't stream video from espn.com on my desktop.  I was able to use a Chrome addin to help identify the site and add it to my whitelist.  But I also can't stream video from espn.com to my phone and espn appears to use a different site to stream to my phone as the whitelisted site that works for the desktop doesn't work for the phone.  I have tried checking out the PiHole log but as yet I am not having any luck.

Anyone found I good document on how to troubleshoot these sorts of issues?

I successfully got this running on my server, but noticed that running it as the DNS server for the network introduced latency issues so bad I was unable to play online games on the network.

Any idea if this is normal?  Is there a way to pass through a network interface to the container directly to remove the latency of going through the server (assuming that was even what was causing it)?

Guest spants01
Hi [mention=2148]spants[/mention]

I notice at the bottom of Pi-hole that an update has been released, 3.2.1

Just asking, but will you be updating the docker image to the new version?
Nope. Digi Inc builds the dockers after testing, I just built the template and testing on unraid. Will have to wait for him I'm afraid...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Just now, spants01 said:

Nope. Digi Inc builds the dockers after testing, I just built the template and testing on unraid. Will have to wait for him I'm afraid...

Ah sorry, thought it was you, apologies.

Who's Digi Inc and is there a way to find out?

Not a major issue, just interested really of there's a new one coming...

I thought "wow, that was quick" as I spotted the update, but it must've been for something else.

But what is strange is that after the update, I'm not seeing the graphs update anymore? Pi-Hole still appears to be receiving the traffic as the docker log is showing the requests but Pi-Hole itself isn't reporting anything and the 'Query Log' is also empty?

Anyone else seeing this behaviour or just me?

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 15.24.56.png

Edited by WannabeMKII
Screenshot now included.
1 hour ago, WannabeMKII said:

I thought "wow, that was quick" as I spotted the update, but it must've been for something else.

Strange, I've just spotted that Pi-Hole is on version 3.3... Strange, it wasn't showing before.

But I did run the following script. Do I still need to?

Still miss the sexy graphs though!

So DNSSEC?  Seems like if I enable this the docker loses the ability to resolve DNS completely.  Disabling it does not resolve the issue.  Only way to correct it that I have  found is removing docker+image and then deleting the data folder and starting over. 

Is this something to just leave off anyway?  Seemed like and alright thing.  Been running pihole in VM with this enabled for months.

15 hours ago, WannabeMKII said:

But what is strange is that after the update, I'm not seeing the graphs update anymore? Pi-Hole still appears to be receiving the traffic as the docker log is showing the requests but Pi-Hole itself isn't reporting anything and the 'Query Log' is also empty?

Anyone else seeing this behaviour or just me?

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 15.24.56.png

The same thing exactly happened to me, only difference my graph flatlined after 23:00 local time. I tried restarting the docker app but nothing changed. It seems to be running with no problems as it is actually blocking ads, but the graph and in general the webui is not refreshing. The webui is responding to my commands and can even update the blacklist, but nothing is changing as far as showing traffic, queries, blocked queries etc.

Installed it recently, and everything seems to be working smoothly now, great job :D.

Just wanted to maybe update @spants and any one susceptible to have the issue, with the new 6.4.0 update, giving the container its own IP address caused issues with the default interface parameter of br0.

This issue was quickly resolved by setting the Interface listening behavior to Listen on all interfaces.
The culprit being that in the container, the interface was not named br0 but eth0, so basically once I passed this to the container, the default Interface listening behavior worked. :)

7 minutes ago, gaetan said:

Installed it recently, and everything seems to be working smoothly now, great job :D.

Just wanted to maybe update @spants and any one susceptible to have the issue, with the new 6.4.0 update, giving the container its own IP address caused issues with the default interface parameter of br0.

This issue was quickly resolved by setting the Interface listening behavior to Listen on all interfaces.
The culprit being that in the container, the interface was not named br0 but eth0, so basically once I passed this to the container, the default Interface listening behavior worked. :)

Again, I would quite simply like a "turn-key", point & shoot, lazy man's version of this. Are we there yet ? It sure sounds like we are from your post and the CURRENT desc in the Community Applications screen (which previously contained notes & cautions of sorts about changing this or that). Along with warnings such as not running updates or something like that ?  

I know very little Linux and while I've occasionally applied myself to execute various commands and scripting when forced to, at this point I'd rather not send time familiarizing myself with esoteric commands and procedures. When I first installed this Docker app, I managed to get it running somewhat - I managed to alter the IP of my server to accommodate the app installation and create a couple of files or directories (don't remember the details now, but they were required at that time). There were some maintenance interventions required as well if I recall correctly - something about Chron jobs and manual logging file clean-ups (???).

I'm not being critical of the work - I'm just being lazy because maybe I'm spoiled by other UnRaid Apps I run without having to intervene in anyway beyond my technical familiarities, furthermore so as not to seem like an ingrate, I'm perfect willing to offer some sort of remuneration for a Turn-Key functional product.

Are we there yet ? It sure sounds like we are ! (I recognize that Pihole, independent of this docker app, may have issues of it's own)

Regarding the missing graphs:

I had this issue as well, but not with the unraid docker but directly on a Raspberry Pi. I tried to do several tasks, eg. restarting Pi, updating, reinstalling. 

Somehow nothing helped. PiHole was working correctly but no graphs at all.

Finally I reinstalled the RPi completley and since then everything is working. Maybe there was an update of PiHole between my tries and the reinstall.

Br,

Johannes