[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I installed the Pi-Hole docker today and it's not quite working for me.

I hit the Enable link, and it shows at the top like it's running, but nothing resolves.  If I go to another page, at the top of the screen it shows that it's not running again... So, I think it's never actually starting.  I touched "whitelist.txt", "blacklist.txt", and "pihole.log" in the directory under appdata.

39 minutes ago, Taige said:

Hi, I installed the Pi-Hole docker today and it's not quite working for me.

I hit the Enable link, and it shows at the top like it's running, but nothing resolves.  If I go to another page, at the top of the screen it shows that it's not running again... So, I think it's never actually starting.  I touched "whitelist.txt", "blacklist.txt", and "pihole.log" in the directory under appdata.

Disregard guys - I deleted it and started from scratch and it's working fine now.

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a missmatch on versions in the docker. Logging/statistics keep breaking/stopping and the fix is to delete the /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf and restart the container

I figured this out from the developer here:

This broke again, with the same fix working to fix it, after the Unraid 6.5.3 upgrade and reboot so it makes me think that the docker has the wrong config file set as the default.

10 hours ago, yippy3000 said:

There seems to be a missmatch on versions in the docker. Logging/statistics keep breaking/stopping and the fix is to delete the /etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf and restart the container

I figured this out from the developer here:

This broke again, with the same fix working to fix it, after the Unraid 6.5.3 upgrade and reboot so it makes me think that the docker has the wrong config file set as the default.

It might be worth asking here: https://github.com/diginc/docker-pi-hole/issues 

The template is just a wrapper for his docker image.

15 hours ago, spants said:

It might be worth asking here: https://github.com/diginc/docker-pi-hole/issues 

The template is just a wrapper for his docker image.

Hi spants,

I have a question with respect to the comment/detail from yippy3000, does this mean that after some time of running the docker (as it now exists) that the docker (pihole dns server) becomes unusable/unresponsive?  I ask because I installed the pihole docker and it seemed to work great for about a day or so then all LAN devices were unable to DNS resolve.  My remedy was to remove pihole.  I really like the function/benefit/concept of pihole and would like to reinstall/have it work as a docker.

In other words is there any issue with this docker or are people successfully using it for a ~ indefinite period?  (guessing the docker is fine and it was perhaps some config tweak/change I made in that first day or so)

On 6/21/2018 at 12:29 AM, DoItMyselfToo said:

Do the logs still need to be manually deleted via script each day or so?  Or has this been automated within the container?

From diginc on github, "Automatic Ad List Updates - since the 3.0+ release, cron is baked into the container and will grab the newest versions of your lists and flush your logs. Set your TZ environment variable to make sure the midnight log rotation syncs up with your timezone's midnight."

Looks like this container points to the latest release, so we should be covered, provided TZ is set correctly.  Find your TZ here.

Edited by DoItMyselfToo
Added TZ link.

I've installed this docker and it seems to be working great across all devices *but* it seems to stop my unraid server from being  able to check for plugin and docker updates. If I ask unraid to check for docker updates it just sits forever asking but pihole doesn't seem to suggest that it's blocked anything from being checked so I'm confused.

Yes it's using DHCP. I did think to just change the DNS on unraid to static but it means shutting everything as you have to stop all dockers and array to change the network settings.

*Edit, I looked again and it's only docker and vm services that needed stopping. I've changed DNS servers to static and now it's working again. I couldn't see anything in the pihole logs to show anything being blocked though which is weird.

Edited by allanp81
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how often pihole is updated, but i have noticed that the docker has not been updated in a while. Is this correct? I'm just wondering since i have noticed that many other dockers update almost once weekly.

My current pihole versions are Pi-hole Version v3.3.1 Web Interface Version v3.3 FTL Version v3.0

1 hour ago, ruvil said:

I'm not sure how often pihole is updated, but i have noticed that the docker has not been updated in a while. Is this correct? I'm just wondering since i have noticed that many other dockers update almost once weekly.

My current pihole versions are Pi-hole Version v3.3.1 Web Interface Version v3.3 FTL Version v3.0

digiinc updates his docker images quite frequently. If you check your Repository points to: diginc/pi-hole:latest

The versions of pihole that you have are the latest for the docker image.

The diginc release notes are here: https://github.com/diginc/docker-pi-hole/releases

https://store.docker.com/community/images/diginc/pi-hole/tags shows that the latest branch was updated 3 months ago.

There is a prerelease branch if you want to be brave.

Note that the versions will trail the standalone versions due to the work involved in converting them to docker images

1 hour ago, spants said:

digiinc updates his docker images quite frequently. If you check your Repository points to: diginc/pi-hole:latest

The versions of pihole that you have are the latest for the docker image.

The diginc release notes are here: https://github.com/diginc/docker-pi-hole/releases

https://store.docker.com/community/images/diginc/pi-hole/tags shows that the latest branch was updated 3 months ago.

There is a prerelease branch if you want to be brave.

Note that the versions will trail the standalone versions due to the work involved in converting them to docker images

Ahh! That makes sense, then i know that i am running the latest version at least :)

• 2 weeks later...

After updating to the new version yesterday, I get this:

::: Testing DNSmasq config: ::: Testing lighttpd config: Syntax OK
::: All config checks passed, starting ...
::: Docker start setup complete
[✗] DNS resolution is currently unavailable
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 1.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] syncing disks.
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

And it doesn't stay up.  DNS is set to use to 1.1.1.1

Also having problems after the last update, with pihole docker quitting shortly after startup.

ETA:  During the brief period it is up, I have thrown several dig queries at it ('dig google.com @pihole') and the resolve just fine, so I am not sure what the "DNS resolution is currently unavailable" error means.

Here are the logs:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing...
::: Starting docker specific setup for docker diginc/pi-hole
+ [[ admin == '' ]]
+ pihole -a -p admin admin
[✓] New password set
Using custom DNS servers: 192.168.0.4 & 192.168.0.5
DNSMasq binding to custom interface: br0
Added ENV to php:
"PHP_ERROR_LOG" => "/var/log/lighttpd/error.log",
"ServerIP" => "192.168.0.166",
"VIRTUAL_HOST" => "192.168.0.166",
Using IPv4
dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
::: Testing DNSmasq config: ::: Testing lighttpd config: Syntax OK
::: All config checks passed, starting ...
::: Docker start setup complete
[✗] DNS resolution is currently unavailable
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

Edited by CJW
Additional information.