[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

On 9/30/2018 at 12:29 PM, TheBlueKingLP said:

i have an issue which after some time the docker stop working (not resolving DNS request) but it work fine after the docker restart, which is annoying, how do i fix this?

I am also having this same issue. Not sure when it started as I rarely restart unraid or the pihole container (pihole/pihole:latest btw).

But for me, if I do restart unraid, the pihole docker stops with the "DNS resolution is currently unavailable" in the docker logs.
This is with the "Autostart" set to On in the GUI, for the pihole container.

Starting the failed pihole container does work though, and it stays working until I reboot.

On 10/22/2018 at 3:26 AM, semtex41 said:

I am also having this same issue. Not sure when it started as I rarely restart unraid or the pihole container (pihole/pihole:latest btw).

But for me, if I do restart unraid, the pihole docker stops with the "DNS resolution is currently unavailable" in the docker logs.
This is with the "Autostart" set to On in the GUI, for the pihole container.

Starting the failed pihole container does work though, and it stays working until I reboot.

I have it too. I don't remember when it started happen but after restart my pihole does not start by itself.

So I like to VPN into my network using OpenVPN-as but I cannot seem to find a way to get pihole adblocking to work this way. Anyone able to enable pihole blocking when VPN'd in?

I gave my pihole docker it's own IP using the custom IP setting of 192.168.1.2. It works inside my wifi network, just not when connected through the VPN.

I've gone into the VPNs webserver settings and manually set the DNS from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 and once I've done that I can no longer resolve DNS...

I would hate to go back to using my RPi for pihole when using it on unraid is much easier to maintain....

There are multiple problems with this docker container.

1. The container just stops at completely random intervals. There's absolutely nothing written in the log at all about why this happens.

2. There doesn't seem to be any proper updates being made. That is, there are still updates for all of the pi-hole components after updating the container itself. So the container is not pulling the updated FTL, web interface and pihole version from source.

This container needs a lot of work. I wish I could help but I don't know the first thing about building or maintaining one. Perhaps OP could put this on Github and allow others to make pull requests and push changes.

Edited by plantsandbinary
6 minutes ago, plantsandbinary said:

There are multiple problems with this docker container.

1. The container just stops at completely random intervals. There's absolutely nothing written in the log at all about why this happens.

2. There doesn't seem to be any proper updates being made. That is, there are still updates for all of the pi-hole components after updating the container itself. So the container is not pulling the updated FTL, web interface and pihole version from source.

This container needs a lot of work. I wish I could help but I don't know the first thing about building or maintaining one. Perhaps OP could put this on Github and allow others to make pull requests and push changes.

I wrote the template that pulls in the Official Docker Container from PiHole. I swapped over from my unofficial one a long time ago that that a fully supported version could be distributed. Make sure that your repository for pihole is = pihole/pihole:latest and not the old diginc repository.

If you use the latest tag, you should have v 4.0.0-1. The release tags are here: https://hub.docker.com/r/pihole/pihole/tags/ 

The last update to the docker image was 12 days ago. Apparently you should not do an update within the docker image (that was what diginc said - although that may have changed)

If you have a problem with the docker image, you should ask about it here: - https://discourse.pi-hole.net/ or on the github here:- https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/issues

On 10/23/2018 at 5:09 PM, MowMdown said:

So I like to VPN into my network using OpenVPN-as but I cannot seem to find a way to get pihole adblocking to work this way. Anyone able to enable pihole blocking when VPN'd in?

I gave my pihole docker it's own IP using the custom IP setting of 192.168.1.2. It works inside my wifi network, just not when connected through the VPN.

I've gone into the VPNs webserver settings and manually set the DNS from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 and once I've done that I can no longer resolve DNS...

I would hate to go back to using my RPi for pihole when using it on unraid is much easier to maintain....

I believe that there is a way of forcing the traffic and dns through openvpn - but its not something I am experienced with. May be best to ask in the OpenVPN topic.

1 minute ago, plantsandbinary said:

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. How can I check and/or change my repo? If I remove the whole container and download it again is it going to have the right repo?

Thanks a lot.

Click on icon and choose edit - you will see the repository 

On 10/28/2018 at 5:55 PM, spants said:

np, I'm not sure why it doesn't replicate to everyone. 

It could be that the local user template is overriding the repo template.  Deleting the container, then deleting the user template in ~/.docker/templates-user, followed by recreating the container should work.

At first I was thinking that not updating template changes automatically is a bad thing, but it would be annoying if someone made custom changes and had them wiped automatically.  The difficulty comes in notifying people of necessary changes if they have everything automated.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:55 PM, spants said:

np, I'm not sure why it doesn't replicate to everyone. 

In order for template changes to get pushed out to everyone during an update, the TemplateURL entry has to be populated in the xml

That being said though, not all elements in the template will get updated (by design)  The only ones that do is Support, Overview, Category, Project, Icon, and Config

Updating automatically the repository entry is in effect running a different app and probably not something that should be allowed across the board.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

In order for template changes to get pushed out to everyone during an update, the TemplateURL entry has to be populated in the xml

That being said though, not all elements in the template will get updated (by design)  The only ones that do is Support, Overview, Category, Project, Icon, and Config

Updating automatically the repository entry is in effect running a different app and probably not something that should be allowed across the board.

I understand and agree - I guess that in future I should just do a v2 template

2 hours ago, toastman said:

Is there any way of removing the password requirement?  I've left the password field blank during setup, and it still defaults to 'admin',  and I've ssh'd into it to remove it, but that doesn't hold either.

yes, use the unraid scripts plugin to automate that once a day. It is what I used to set the password before it was exposed to the template

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...