[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

I am having a problem with pihole running alongside vm manager.  I never used vm's but I recently set a Win 10 vm up.  Shortly after running the vm i noticed my pihole docker container was stopped.  I did some testing and it seems that port 53 is taken when running vm manager even if no vm's are running.

Pihole is running bridge with ports 53 and 80. Unraid gui moved from 80.

docker using 172.17.0.0/16

vm manager 192.168.122.0/24

I feel like I am missing something obvious.  I can post configs or diag if this isn't enough.

EDIT (Solved):

It was a stupid, simple mistake.  For others who may have overlooked this, during setup of my VM in Network Settings for Unraid I moved to 'bridged' mode.  Because of this when launching or installing Pi-Hole I needed to set its connection/interface from eth0 to br0.

That's it..... smh.

Edited by nblain1

hilarious problem I just had. Put pihole with this docker, followed SpaceinvaderOne's video, terrific. I had my unRaid Network setup to get it's IP from the DHCP server, which was reserved in the DHCP server on the router to the MAC address. When I the DHCP over to pihole docker, as the server was coming up, it couldn't figure out it's IP.

SOLUTION I used my phone to scan IPs and found 169.254.186.233. I manually set my computer to 169.254.186.232, and was able to get to unRaid's webGUI and change my Network settings to static (after disabling Docker and VM Manager <enabled> in Settings. It was a crazy hassle! I could get to pihole on 192.168.11.3, but my server itself was on a lost IP.

I'm having a strange problem where the time in the 'Queries' log on Pi-Hole shows the wrong time. However, I checked `date` from within the container and it is reporting the correct time, my time zone setting is correct in the docker set up, and the 'Time FTL started' entry under FTL Information under the 'Settings' menu shows the correct time. Any ideas?

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='HandBrake' --net='bridge' -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_PRESET'='Very Fast 1080p30' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_FORMAT'='mp4' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_KEEP_SOURCE'='1' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_OUTPUT_SUBDIR'='' -e 'USER_ID'='99' -e 'GROUP_ID'='100' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'APP_NICENESS'='' -e 'DISPLAY_WIDTH'='1280' -e 'DISPLAY_HEIGHT'='768' -e 'SECURE_CONNECTION'='0' -e 'X11VNC_EXTRA_OPTS'='' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_SOURCE_STABLE_TIME'='5' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_SOURCE_MIN_DURATION'='10' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_CHECK_INTERVAL'='5' -p '7803:5800/tcp' -p '7903:5900/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/Temporary/':'/storage':'ro' -v '':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Temporary/':'/output':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/apps':'/unraid':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/apps/HandBrake':'/config':'rw' 'jlesage/handbrake' 
Unable to find image 'jlesage/handbrake:latest' locally
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on 192.168.67.243:53: read udp 192.168.67.11:49656->192.168.67.243:53: i/o timeout.
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

Hi Guys,

I just installed pihole and it casues the Apps Tab to load really long. 

If I try to add a new Docker it fails with the above message... any sggestions how to fix it?

16 minutes ago, Jaster said:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='HandBrake' --net='bridge' -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_PRESET'='Very Fast 1080p30' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_FORMAT'='mp4' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_KEEP_SOURCE'='1' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_OUTPUT_SUBDIR'='' -e 'USER_ID'='99' -e 'GROUP_ID'='100' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'APP_NICENESS'='' -e 'DISPLAY_WIDTH'='1280' -e 'DISPLAY_HEIGHT'='768' -e 'SECURE_CONNECTION'='0' -e 'X11VNC_EXTRA_OPTS'='' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_SOURCE_STABLE_TIME'='5' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_SOURCE_MIN_DURATION'='10' -e 'AUTOMATED_CONVERSION_CHECK_INTERVAL'='5' -p '7803:5800/tcp' -p '7903:5900/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/Temporary/':'/storage':'ro' -v '':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Temporary/':'/output':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/apps':'/unraid':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/apps/HandBrake':'/config':'rw' 'jlesage/handbrake' 
Unable to find image 'jlesage/handbrake:latest' locally
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on 192.168.67.243:53: read udp 192.168.67.11:49656->192.168.67.243:53: i/o timeout.
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

Hi Guys,

I just installed pihole and it casues the Apps Tab to load really long. 

If I try to add a new Docker it fails with the above message... any sggestions how to fix it?

Yes - how to fix....

Your unRaid is probably looping back through pihole.... on network settings, set a fixed ip, gateway and dns server.

• Upvote 1

I've installed this using the excellent video :) i can get into the webui etc, everything seems to work. I gave it an ip address of 192.168.1.10, and i'm using the cloudflare dns (1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1). Now, if i change my router's DNS (Netgear WNDR3700) to use 192.168.1.10, i can't browse to any sites... it just won't work.

If i return the router to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 and configure my mac maually so it uses pihole as it's DNS server, i can browse perfectly, and i can see in pihole's query log everything is also logged etc. so it does work... But why won't it work if i configure it on my router?

I did not give pihole a static ip adress IN the router, is that mandatory?

I had problems doing that; i have to enter the mac address, which is the same as unraid server itself... it won't allow me to do that.

What am i missing?

Edited by jowi

Anyone?

Tried turning everything off, including router, rebooting router, then restarting unraid, then all other pc's/devices... nothing. Once i set the DNS in the router to pihole's ip, i can't get on the internet...

Edited by jowi

I've not played with PiHole yet, but other products like it.  My understanding is this.

Your Router itself should still use the Public DNS for it's calls.  That's how it still sees the internet.
Your DHCP server (which is probably a different section in your router) should be updated to hand out the PiHole IP as DHCP.

What that does is tells any of your devices connecting to the router "Use PiHole to reach the internet", just like you said works when you manually set on your end device.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:51 AM, jowi said:

I've installed this using the excellent video :) i can get into the webui etc, everything seems to work. I gave it an ip address of 192.168.1.10, and i'm using the cloudflare dns (1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1). Now, if i change my router's DNS (Netgear WNDR3700) to use 192.168.1.10, i can't browse to any sites... it just won't work.

If i return the router to 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 and configure my mac maually so it uses pihole as it's DNS server, i can browse perfectly, and i can see in pihole's query log everything is also logged etc. so it does work... But why won't it work if i configure it on my router?

I did not give pihole a static ip adress IN the router, is that mandatory?

I had problems doing that; i have to enter the mac address, which is the same as unraid server itself... it won't allow me to do that. 

What am i missing?

You should not set the router's DNS server to the Pihole IP address.  It is a good idea to give your Pihole docker container a custom IP address in unRAID either on br0 or a docker VLAN.

I have a different router (Ubiquiti USG), but, as an example, here are my settings:

WAN (router) DNS Server - I am also using Cloudflare DNS; this SHOULD NOT be set to the PiHole IP address:

image.png.c4105edf680d7a79e46b5c8023a60ab2.png

LAN DHCP DNS (all my LANs have the same DNS settings) - Primary DNS is set to Pihole, secondary to Cloudflare, tertiary to Google - the last two are fallbacks in case there are problems with Pihole:

image.thumb.png.a8e92eb7f57073791d04dd731c40c8a3.png

In my case Pihole is running on a Raspberry Pi to which a static IP address of 192.168.1.60 is assigned (I used to run it as a docker container in which case it was assigned a static IP address in unRAID - on an unRAID/router VLAN - but, not in the router config as a docker is not a separate device from the router point of view):

image.png.b65f26cb8b8bef737642947015d7d5a3.png

Here is what the config looks like in my Pihole docker (I still have it configured - but stopped - as a backup in case the Raspberry Pi had problems):

image.thumb.png.b58dca23bc9413242c6f0444698bd864.png

I have a custom VLAN setup in unRAID and my router for all dockers.

5 hours ago, Hoopster said:

You should not set the router's DNS server to the Pihole IP address.  It is a good idea to give your Pihole docker container a custom IP address

[...]

LAN DHCP DNS (all my LANs have the same DNS settings) - Primary DNS is set to Pihole,

According to the video it is mandatory to set the routers primary DNS to the pihole (static) IP adress. Which i did.

I'm not sure if i understand the second line in the quote? Isn't that the same?

If i look at your config, you are only using the pihole machine as DHCP, and not as DNS, so it won't do what it is for, filtering ads etc..? It only serves as DHCP?

Edited by jowi
4 hours ago, jowi said:

If i look at your config, you are only using the pihole machine as DHCP, and not as DNS, so it won't do what it is for, filtering ads etc..? It only serves as DHCP?

Nope, all ads are filtered on any device that connects to my LAN.  I have the DNS on the WAN side set to Cloudflare, all LANs to Pihole and unRAID set to Cloudflare.  There is no reason for unRAID to go through Pihole and you will likely see connectivity issues if it is DNS for unRAID.

Note that that setting on my LAN is called DHCP Name Server.  Anything getting a DHCP (or fixed IP) from the router will use Pihole as it name server (DNS).

Every router may be slightly different in the way it is configured.  I am not familiar with your router config. Perhaps it needs to be done differently on your router. 

The router is a Netgear WNDR3700, it is pretty basic and ancient. It can't even forward ports. Well, it does, but you can not change the port number, internal and external must be the same...e.g. for Nextcloud and LetsEncrypt i need to forward external WAN port 80 and 443 to internal 180 and 1443 on UNRAID, but the router won't let me do that... it also lacks VPN etc. So it is candidate for replacement anyway. I've ordered an Intel quad NIC pcie card, so i can install pfsense on the UNRAID server, if that works i'm gonna revisit PiHole... 

At the absolute worst time to do any serious upgrading (sunday morning...) i decided to upgrade the Netgear WNDR3700 to the latest DD-WRT build... upgrading went well, after a lot of reading and googling :) had some problems setting up wifi (and forgot that i also needed to re-setup Alexa, Nest etc...) but it works.

And even better, DD-WRT has an option 'local DNS' and if i put in the ip adres of pihole there... it works!

So upgrading was a bit of  gamble, but so far so good.

One thing i notice, i’ve installed vpn on my mac and other devices, it looks like pihole has no effect on that? That seems correct if i think about it? How can pihole be combined with vpn? Should i just remove all vpn clients from the devices and use vpn on the router?

Edited by jowi

Does anyone know how to get the pihole docker to resolve a local subdomain.domain.com to a local IP address?  I am hosting a small webserver via unRAID and pihole does not know to resolve to it locally if I am accessing the website from a LAN device.

Everytime I go to the site, I am seen as "external" traffic.  If I can resolve this, I could also resolve Plex issues.  I just don't know how to tell pihole to point the domain to the internal unraid IP.  I've tried variables such as extra_hosts etc.  I am exhausted.

Edit I got the resolution by adding 02-custom.conf in the /mnt/user/appdata/dnsmasq.d folder.  The format for that .conf file is

subdomain.domain.com 192.168.1.X where X is the unraid server IP.  However the website stops working when I do this.  I even can do nslookup subdomain.domain.com and it shows the 192.168.1.X address.  I am using nginx/letsencrypt to host the proxy portion of the site.  This basically forwards the subdomain to an internal IP of another docker.  Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by xhaloz
Added some updates.
On 3/25/2019 at 5:36 PM, xhaloz said:

Does anyone know how to get the pihole docker to resolve a local subdomain.domain.com to a local IP address?  I am hosting a small webserver via unRAID and pihole does not know to resolve to it locally if I am accessing the website from a LAN device.

Everytime I go to the site, I am seen as "external" traffic.  If I can resolve this, I could also resolve Plex issues.  I just don't know how to tell pihole to point the domain to the internal unraid IP.  I've tried variables such as extra_hosts etc.  I am exhausted.

Edit I got the resolution by adding 02-custom.conf in the /mnt/user/appdata/dnsmasq.d folder.  The format for that .conf file is

subdomain.domain.com 192.168.1.X where X is the unraid server IP.  However the website stops working when I do this.  I even can do nslookup subdomain.domain.com and it shows the 192.168.1.X address.  I am using nginx/letsencrypt to host the proxy portion of the site.  This basically forwards the subdomain to an internal IP of another docker.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Create 02-lan.conf

imagen.png.dd4fca5fe7bebc67e52e1ffbf1edc642.png

add this

addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/lan.list

go to /Pihole

create lan.list

add you local server example

192.168.1.220 abc.duckdns.org

reboot

Edited by L0rdRaiden

It is possible already in any way to use pihole as dns resolver for unraid in network settings? if I use it Unraid lost internet access, for example community apps won't work.

It wasn't possible in the past but I don't know if there is any workaround currently

This is my config

imagen.png.6a8138eb3c804b5f2df0cbee65d2875f.png

Edited by L0rdRaiden
On 4/2/2019 at 7:20 AM, L0rdRaiden said:

add this

addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/lan.list

go to /Pihole

create lan.list

add you local server example

192.168.1.220 abc.duckdns.org

reboot

My pihole container is working properly. I can see the dashboard updating, etc.

I followed the exact same steps mentioned above. Then restarted the container.

However, I still cannot use the local hostnames. They are not recognized.

Update: I can use the hostname "pi.hole" which apparently comes pre-configured inside the container.
Still cannot access the ones I manually added though.

Another update: Got this working when I started using proper hostnames with "dots". As far as I understand, names without a domain (e.g., gallery) should also work. I am happy it works now. And I cannot justify, to myself, the time/effort of looking into why non-domain names do not work :)

Edited by Jenardo
Update