[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

Quick question, I have the Pi-hole docker set up and working correctly (I think).  the Dashboard shows queries being blocked and the blacklists in effect.  I currently have it set up so that my Router points to pi-hole for DNS queries.

On the pi-hole network overview, it show all the queries as originating from the router.  I believe this is the expected behavior as the clients are passing the request to the router which then passes  it to pi-hole.  I just wanted to be sure that is what I should be seeing. 

4 minutes ago, mattekure said:

Quick question, I have the Pi-hole docker set up and working correctly (I think).  the Dashboard shows queries being blocked and the blacklists in effect.  I currently have it set up so that my Router points to pi-hole for DNS queries.

On the pi-hole network overview, it show all the queries as originating from the router.  I believe this is the expected behavior as the clients are passing the request to the router which then passes  it to pi-hole.  I just wanted to be sure that is what I should be seeing. 

What you are seeing is normal. You can instead change the DHCP server in your router to hand out piholes IP as the dns server and then you will see the clients IP. (or just use pihole as the dhcp server)

Just noticed that my pihole docker is no longer starting up... not sure when the problem started but here are the log messages I'm seeing when starting it up:

s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing...
::: Starting docker specific setup for docker diginc/pi-hole
RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable
ERROR: ServerIP Environment variable (192.168.1.2) doesn't appear to be a valid IPv4 address

[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 1.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] syncing disks.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

I haven't changed any network settings for some time nor edited the docker

Running on Unraid 6.6.7

sc_201969_144737_258.thumb.png.c5315cf0f3e172f95445dfcae6c51420.png

Any ideas?

Any help to resolve below would be appreciated. 

I'm simply unable to get Pi-Hole to download any blacklists file updates , I keep getting below . I can login to Pi-Hole UI 

[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)
[✗] List download failed: no cached list available
  1. I've tried Keeping one of the DNS as 127.0.0.1.
  2. I've tried disabling DHCP server .
  3. I've tried changing the Unraid default UI login to port 81 and 444.
  4. I've tried uninstalling multiple times. 
  5. I'm on latest 6.7 version. I use BR0 and have the server ip same 192.168.2.9 on both places. 

Edited by pakiyabhai

I've added --DNS flag as well. Results are still same. no updates

On 6/17/2019 at 6:07 PM, pakiyabhai said:

Any help to resolve below would be appreciated. 

I'm simply unable to get Pi-Hole to download any blacklists file updates , I keep getting below . I can login to Pi-Hole UI 

[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)
[✗] List download failed: no cached list available
  1. I've tried Keeping one of the DNS as 127.0.0.1.
  2. I've tried disabling DHCP server .
  3. I've tried changing the Unraid default UI login to port 81 and 444.
  4. I've tried uninstalling multiple times. 
  5. I'm on latest 6.7 version. I use BR0 and have the server ip same 192.168.2.9 on both places. 

On 6/1/2019 at 10:38 PM, pcss said:

Unexpected update to the docker yesterday - am I on a dev version?

Pi-hole Version vDev (HEAD, v4.3-0-g1d43c0a) Web Interface Version vDev (HEAD, v4.3-0-g44aff72) FTL Version v4.3.1

This is now resolved as of the latest update.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a good guide/process on changing the pihole hostname in docker? The container's console lacks an editor and I'm unable to get one via apt-get. - I also tried copying the files (/etc/hosts and /etc/hostname) back to my pc via Krusader, editing them, and copying back to the container... which resulted in the WebGUI no longer loading (by IP) after the container was restarted. - Applying "chmod 777" to the files didn't help either (as I assumed they were copied back as read-only).

Lately, attempting to pass the hostname variable via the container setup gets ignored, and only results in a new random hostname being generated (all of my other settings/data are preserved). - I should note that this seems to be the default behavior when running the container setup (i.e. new random hostname each time, regardless of the variable being passed or not).

Has anything changed on this docker recently?  I can no longer access the admin page.  It seems to have been working fine for months.  I haven't tried to access the webui recently.  But tonight I noticed that it no longer works.  Used SpaceInvaders video to set it up.  I haven't seen anything with a search..... Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just starting out with Docker so this is probably fairly obvious for you guys :)

I need to make some additional reverse lookup zones in /etc/dnsmasq.d and setting these directly in 01-pihole.conf works great but how do I make them persistent across reboots and upgrades of the container?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My Raspberry Pi install of Pihole failed last night due to a corrupted SD card, but I was able to get Pihole back up and running within 5 minutes using this docker. Thank you!

The instructions on page 1 of this thread (and also the cron post further down) are a bit confusing in light of version 2. Apart from installing and configuring the docker, is there any other set-up/maintenance necessary? Is the cron still necessary? Are updates done via the docker update mechanism or from within the docker with PiHole -up?

I'm about to give this a shot. I'd like to avoid putting the unraid webgui on a different port so I was wondering g what are the pros and cons of putting this container on its own custom IP? 

If it means the unraid server, and containers within it can't use pihole, that's fine as there's no real surfing done from there. But if all the clients still have access then that would be my preferred. Are there any other cons to doing it this way? 

Also having pihole act as the LANs dhcp. I currently have a UniFi set up with 4 different subnets. Any pros or cons with moving to the pihole dhcp? 

I just installed this, but I cant access the webGui.

I changed my network type to Custom BR0, set a fixed IP.  Changed the Key3 to match, changed TZ.  Started docker.  In my router I can see there is a mac address for this IP I set.  But the webGui never opens.

Do I need to change the Key11 from eth0 to br0?

Note: my network is setup for bonding.  So eth0 and eth1 are bonded together and it says this is my network settings in the routing table

IPv4 default 192.168.50.1 via br0

Two things:

Also interested in an answer to the above as my Youtube ad blocking is currently broken to the point of not always retaining that I'm signed in.

My install currently showing that there's an upgraded docker image available but upon attempting to upgrade, pulls zero data, stops and then restarts the docker.

Anyone else seeing the same?

Thanks,
John

9 hours ago, pcss said:

Two things:

Also interested in an answer to the above as my Youtube ad blocking is currently broken to the point of not always retaining that I'm signed in.

My install currently showing that there's an upgraded docker image available but upon attempting to upgrade, pulls zero data, stops and then restarts the docker.

Anyone else seeing the same?

Thanks,
John

Yes mine has said that the past couple days, it seems like any thing from linuxserver also does the same thing.

Hi guys I got an issue I am hoping someone can help me with.

I followed SpaceInvaders tutorial and all went smoothly and Pi Hole is setup on my unRaid Server. Now my issue lies with Plex.

For some reason when Pi Hole is on all the thumbnails (such as cast thumbnails etc) in Plex take FOREVER to load. Now when I disable Pi Hole completely then everything loads up very quickly. I originally thought it may have been a blacklist that was causing an issue so I removed everything and done a fresh install of Pi Hole (with the default lists) and the images still take forever to load. Checking in Network and nothing seems to be blocked from Pi Hole regarding PLEX.

It just seems like traffic speed is crippled? I am using 1.1.1.1 - 1.0.0.1 as my DNS in Pi Hole. Everything else on my network is working and loading fast as usual, it is only PLEX that is the issue.

Further info:

After more tinkering it seems like the PI HOLE DNS that I put on my router is the issue. As soon as I remove this everything works as it should and thumbnails and cast pictures are downloaded and shown instantly.

https://postimg.cc/TKXTPxGD

As seen in the image my PI HOLE DNS is 192.168.1.3 if Pi hole is on and it’s DNS is entered in my ASUS Router I have the issue. If I delete the DNS from my ASUS router, reboot it everything then works. But in turn Pi Hole breaks as the DNS for Pi Hole is deleted from my router. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk