[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

Hi,

Just wondering, my pihole docker doesn't auto start sometimes on boot? But would start properly if I manually start it. Anybody know why that happens?

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing...
stty: 'standard input': Inappropriate ioctl for device
::: Starting docker specific checks & setup for docker pihole/pihole
WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Two DNS servers are recommended, 127.0.0.1 and any backup server

WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Primary DNS should be 127.0.0.1 (found 127.0.0.11)

nameserver 127.0.0.11
options ndots:0
stty: 'standard input': Inappropriate ioctl for device
[i] Existing PHP installation detected : PHP version 7.0.33-0+deb9u3

[i] Installing configs from /etc/.pihole...
[i] Existing dnsmasq.conf found... it is not a Pi-hole file, leaving alone!
chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases': No such file or directory
::: Pre existing WEBPASSWORD found
Using default DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
DNSMasq binding to default interface: eth0
Added ENV to php:
"PHP_ERROR_LOG" => "/var/log/lighttpd/error.log",

"ServerIP" => "192.168.86.8",
"VIRTUAL_HOST" => "192.168.86.8",
Using IPv4
::: Preexisting ad list /etc/pihole/adlists.list detected ((exiting setup_blocklists early))
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
https://mirror1.malwaredomains.com/files/justdomains
http://sysctl.org/cameleon/hosts
https://zeustracker.abuse.ch/blocklist.php?download=domainblocklist
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_tracking.txt
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_ad.txt
https://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt
::: Testing pihole-FTL DNS: FTL started!
::: Testing lighttpd config: Syntax OK
::: All config checks passed, cleared for startup ...
::: Docker start setup complete
[i] Pi-hole blocking is enabled
[i] Neutrino emissions detected...

[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)

[i] Target: mirror1.malwaredomains.com (justdomains)

[i] Target: sysctl.org (hosts)

[i] Target: zeustracker.abuse.ch (blocklist.php?download=domainblocklist)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_tracking.txt)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_ad.txt)

[i] Target: hosts-file.net (ad_servers.txt)

[i] Number of domains being pulled in by gravity: 138135
[i] Number of unique domains trapped in the Event Horizon: 115901
[i] Nothing to whitelist!
[i] Number of regex filters: 0

[✓] DNS service is running
[✓] Pi-hole blocking is Enabled
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting lighttpd
Starting pihole-FTL (no-daemon) as root
Starting crond
[services.d] done.
Stopping lighttpd
Stopping pihole-FTL
Stopping cron
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] syncing disks.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

Thanks,

Karl

Hi @spants, thanks for the pi-hole docker. 

I'd like to set this up so I can use it with the lets encrypt reverse proxy however I notice that when I set a custom password for key 9 WEBPASSWORD, it doesn't seem to work.. The default 'admin' still works, but not what goes in the field. I can't see anywhere in the UI to set the password so I'm assuming it's in a config file hence you'd have to ssh into the docker and even if you changed it there it wouldn't be persistent with docker image updates. 

Is there something I should check, or is this a know issue?

22 hours ago, dgwharrison said:

I'd like to set this up so I can use it with the lets encrypt reverse proxy however I notice that when I set a custom password for key 9 WEBPASSWORD, it doesn't seem to work.. The default 'admin' still works, but not what goes in the field. I can't see anywhere in the UI to set the password so I'm assuming it's in a config file hence you'd have to ssh into the docker and even if you changed it there it wouldn't be persistent with docker image updates. 

I know it isn't going to help, but it works for me! (but I do not use a reverse proxy for it)

On 9/5/2019 at 2:40 PM, karlpox said:

Just wondering, my pihole docker doesn't auto start sometimes on boot? But would start properly if I manually start it. Anybody know why that happens?

WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Primary DNS should be 127.0.0.1 (found 127.0.0.11)
nameserver 127.0.0.11

Wondering if it is due to this error? I remember someone else having that and solving it.... Unfortunately I am traveling - take a look back through this thread, it might be there,

@karlpox did you ever resolve this issue. I have the same issue where the docker doesn't seem to automatically start-up but will manually start-up. I have the same 'Misconfigured DNS' error.

I have looked back through the thread and people are saying to delete and reinstall the docker, i have also changed the docker hub URL but on restart i still get the error. Looking at the github 127.0.0.11 is required for containers to talk to each other. So i am not sure how to resolve this.

Hi All,

I am facing a fairly unique scenario with Pi-Hole and was hoping to get some assistance.

I am using a Nighthawk R7800 router with the stock firmware. The stock firmware doesn’t allow you to assign a DNS server when the DHCP server hands out IP addresses. I had found that using DD-WRT did, and I had it running fine, except for one issue I was unable to solve. Whenever I would shut off the screen on my iPad or iPhone the wireless connection would drop after a short time, and since I only have WiFi on both devices I would not get email or text notifications. So, I decided it wouldn’t work and downgraded back to stock firmware and now there are no issues, except the aforementioned problem with Pi-Hole not working. 

Here is my goal. I want to be able to pick which devices go through the Pi-Hole as I have a work laptop that will break a lot of my tools when it send it through Pi-Hole.

I want my router to continue acting as the DHCP server in the event either the docker container goes offline or some other issue occurs. I also found that the minute I disabled the router’s DHCP and used Pi-Hole I could no longer access unRAID even with a static IP set for unRAID in network settings.

I read one of the FAQs on the Pi-Hole site indicating you can just manually configure the DHCP settings on the client to point at Pi-Hole. I tried this on my iPad, iPhone and Nintendo Switch, and all seem to ignore it and use the router’s DNS. I’ve even tried forgetting the network and setting the DNS setting to manual before reconnecting to the WiFi.

I know, I can set my router to use the Pi-Hole for DNS, but then I face the same issue as before, my work laptop will go through the Pi-Hole. I am not local admin on my machine and they prevent us from modifying the network setting.

Are there any other options or suggestions?

TIA

I loved the idea of PiHole but after a server issue this week while I was out of the country, the family were without internet access due to the DNS setting pointing to the pihole docker which was down. 

I may need to build a Pi with POE to get the small, single cable pihole device I need. Unless anyone can suggest how to configure things so that the family isn't left in the 20th Century if the container doesn't come up. 

On 7/19/2016 at 1:45 AM, spants said:

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp -p 81&

Hey SpaceInvader,

Great work, but can I still run everything of the pi-hole on its own LAN IP, like I used to? (so no port-change required)

The option seems to have disappeared, and my pihole stopped running!

And yes, this meant I had DNS resolving in unRAID point to the pihole IP, which is a different one from the unRAID IP.

TIA!

Never mind the above, I decided to drop pi-hole entirely and use Diversion on my ASUS RX router with Merlin firmware. Better to block stuff closer to the door: https://diversion.ch/diversion/use/theme-colors.html

Edited by Julius
Diversion
On 8/20/2019 at 3:10 AM, page3 said:

My Raspberry Pi install of Pihole failed last night due to a corrupted SD card, but I was able to get Pihole back up and running within 5 minutes using this docker. Thank you!

The instructions on page 1 of this thread (and also the cron post further down) are a bit confusing in light of version 2. Apart from installing and configuring the docker, is there any other set-up/maintenance necessary? Is the cron still necessary? Are updates done via the docker update mechanism or from within the docker with PiHole -up?

I would like to know this as well, I see that there is an update in the WebUI but unsure if I need to update within PiHole with pihole-up or the docker get eventually updated. Is the cron job necessary with the latest version?

Thanks

I would like to know this as well, I see that there is an update in the WebUI but unsure if I need to update within PiHole with pihole-up or the docker get eventually updated. Is the cron job necessary with the latest version?

Thanks
I must get round to cleaning the instructions, unfortunately I travel alot for work so that becomes difficult.

With unraid, if you make changes to the template these are not seen by existing users.... the only way seems to be to create a new pihole app.

Just to be clear, my only involvement with pihole is to create the original template for unraid. I dont touch the docker files at all.

Hopefully a new template in a week!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2019 at 5:51 PM, pcss said:

My install currently showing that there's an upgraded docker image available but upon attempting to upgrade, pulls zero data, stops and then restarts the docker.

Anyone else seeing the same?

Thanks,
John

Hi @spants, forgive the newbie question but will the new template fix the above issue or is this due to something else?

Hi @spants, forgive the newbie question but will the new template fix the above issue or is this due to something else?
I think that there is a problem with the unraid tool that checks upgrades.....lots of people seeing it with linuxserver dockers. There were some threads about it. Just boarding flight so cant look!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good afternoon all!

I need some help please, I installed pihole around 2 weeks ago and has been working great, thank you!!  I was in unraid yesterday and noticed much higher than normal writes to my cache (ssd).  After some researching and analysis using iotop it seems 'loop2' (which I beleive is the docker) is the culprit, writing around 1.4GB per hour, see below snapshot of 25 minutes worth of monitoring.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.0f997ccdf3b22443d0b5cf83af657544.jpg

Since pihole was the only docker I had added recently I thought this may be the problem.  I isolated the problem by stopping the docker, deleting the image, created new docker and added one docker template and monitor for 1 hour, then repeat.  It was indeed pihole writing around 1.4GB/hour with a brand new docker image and no other dockers installed.

I tried the following;

- Stopped all logging in gui and also used 'pihole -l off' in terminal.

- added the following to pihole-FTL.conf

PRIVACYLEVEL=4
MAXDBDAYS=0

I see no stats and am pretty sure all logging is now off yet I still have this huge writes to the cache, confirmed also on cache smart report which back up what I'm seeing in iotop...

Do you have any suggestions please as I'm pretty much all out of ideas!

Many thanks in advance!  Jon

On 9/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, dgwharrison said:

...when I set a custom password for key 9 WEBPASSWORD, it doesn't seem to work.. The default 'admin' still works, but not what goes in the field. I can't see anywhere in the UI to set the password so I'm assuming it's in a config file hence you'd have to ssh into the docker and even if you changed it there it wouldn't be persistent with docker image updates. 

Did you find any solution?

I have the same problem, change WEBPASSWORD on docker settings but doesn't do anything. I can also login with the default old password.

Thankyou
Gus

I  noticed that when I changed the TZ to America/New_York, it still uses the default America/Los_Angeles. Some template values don't seem to make it into the docker run command for some reason.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='pihole' --net='br0' --ip='192.168.86.2' --log-opt max-size='50m' --log-opt max-file='1' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_53'='53' -e 'UDP_PORT_53'='53' -e 'TCP_PORT_80'='80' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'ServerIP'='192.168.86.2' -e 'ServerIPv6'='' -e 'DNS1'='9.9.9.9' -e 'DNS2'='149.112.112.112' -e 'IPv6'='False' -e 'TZ'='America/New_York' -e 'WEBPASSWORD'='admin' -e 'INTERFACE'='br0' -e 'DNSMASQ_LISTENING'='all' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/':'/etc/pihole/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/dnsmasq.d/':'/etc/dnsmasq.d/':'rw' --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --dns 127.0.0.1 --dns 1.1.1.1 --restart=unless-stopped 'pihole/pihole:4.3.1-4_amd64' 
WARNING: Localhost DNS setting (--dns=127.0.0.1) may fail in containers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 VLANs running on an EdgerouterX. All VLANs are segregated but VLAN10 can establish communication with any other VLAN (via firewall rules) I have a pihole on VLAN10 in an unRAID server. How can I let VLAN20 utilize the pihole as well? I've tried many firewall rule to no success. Is my only option to set up a pihole for every VLAN? Surely there is a better way. 

On 9/30/2019 at 4:03 AM, frakman1 said:

I  noticed that when I changed the TZ to America/New_York, it still uses the default America/Los_Angeles. Some template values don't seem to make it into the docker run command for some reason.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='pihole' --net='br0' --ip='192.168.86.2' --log-opt max-size='50m' --log-opt max-file='1' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_53'='53' -e 'UDP_PORT_53'='53' -e 'TCP_PORT_80'='80' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'ServerIP'='192.168.86.2' -e 'ServerIPv6'='' -e 'DNS1'='9.9.9.9' -e 'DNS2'='149.112.112.112' -e 'IPv6'='False' -e 'TZ'='America/New_York' -e 'WEBPASSWORD'='admin' -e 'INTERFACE'='br0' -e 'DNSMASQ_LISTENING'='all' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/':'/etc/pihole/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/dnsmasq.d/':'/etc/dnsmasq.d/':'rw' --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --dns 127.0.0.1 --dns 1.1.1.1 --restart=unless-stopped 'pihole/pihole:4.3.1-4_amd64' 
WARNING: Localhost DNS setting (--dns=127.0.0.1) may fail in containers.

yes - I will need to create a new template for it  (hopefully today) as some of the parameters have changed.

Just a note: I have only created the simple template for this - it is the official docker underneath.

On 9/13/2019 at 9:16 PM, nlash said:

I have this working fine locally. I have OpenVPN-AS running on my server at home.

Is it possible to use my home PiHole set-up and VPN to block ads while outside my network on my Android phone?

Yep, search for 'DoH-Server' in the CA App no need for a VPN but you also need this excellent container. ;)

Note: should be also possible on iOS but i don't own any iDevice and can't test it.

Edited by ich777

I just installed the docker and the only settings I changed were setting network type to custom and the time zone to America/New_York.

When I go into the admin UI I can't change anything because of this. Does anyone have any insight?

pihole.PNG

Edit: It looks like running chmod 0777 -R /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/ from the terminal fixed it. After hitting save I changed it back to 0755 and everything seems to be working normally.

What would cause the permission issue in the first place?

Edited by mraneri
solved?