[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

cant get pihole to work since this new template tryed everyway i can thing of but iam unable to get it to work with my pfsense box. unraid Version: 6.8.0-rc9

if there is anyone out there using pfsense with the new template and this version of unraid and can make it work plz tell me how thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I wanted to use this pihole docker as my second dns server, i already have a hardware raspberry pi as my main pihole dns, but having a backup is always good.

I was wondering how i could change hostname of this pihole installation?

I was hoping to simply ssh in and change /etc/hostname to whatever i wanted but there is no editor included in the docker so unsure how i would accomplish this.

Ideas?

Thanks.

image.png.dbbc5d3b27522b74238e58ba630b9c1e.png

EDIT:

Figured it out:

ssh into the docker

cp /etc/hostname /etc/pihole/

ssh into your unraid install

nano /mnt/cache/appdata/pihole/pihole/hostname

changename + save

ssh back into the docker

cp /etc/pihole/hostname /etc/

EDIT AGAIN:

Wont survive docker container restart :( damn.

EDIT One More time!

added --hostname pihole2 to the run command in docker, seems to work!

Edited by je82
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just wanted to share a trick I used to have hostnames show up in the Pihole Dashboard for my local devices instead of IP addresses. Like this:

image.png.12cbcb92d1db2fe7d9e6289e710cb418.png

First make a copy of the /etc/hosts file in the PiHole container and place it in the app data folder on the host where you can modify it to suit your local LAN.

Then I just added a volume mount via the docker template page to link the two files

image.thumb.png.5043f695874c414208705e2e6bc7426a.png

image.thumb.png.1caf5d21397ccfd391806cec81ad6bcc.png

Edited by frakman1
  • Thanks 4
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently download PI-Hole for mu unraid server. I am having an issue when the unraid or pi-hole docker restart it loses all of the upstream DNS server settings. I have to browse to the IP and check the boxes then everything works as expected. Any reason why this would be happening?

Also can anyone confirm that the Cloudflare DNS options are for the 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 servers.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason over the past few weeks I notice that 1.1.1.1 - 1.0.0.1 DNS seems to stop working for a few minutes, then it starts working again. It's quite annoying as it will block certain websites for a while, then they start working again. Is there an issue with the latest update? 

On 1/18/2020 at 1:40 AM, frakman1 said:

I just wanted to share a trick I used to have hostnames show up in the Pihole Dashboard for my local devices instead of IP addresses. Like this:

image.png.12cbcb92d1db2fe7d9e6289e710cb418.png

First make a copy of the /etc/hosts file in the PiHole container and place it in the app data folder on the host where you can modify it to suit your local LAN.

Then I just added a volume mount via the docker template page to link the two files

image.thumb.png.5043f695874c414208705e2e6bc7426a.png

image.thumb.png.1caf5d21397ccfd391806cec81ad6bcc.png

how does one get a copy of the etc/hosts file?

On 3/22/2020 at 12:57 AM, jluna said:

how does one get a copy of the etc/hosts file?

I think I just copy-pasted the contents into a new file but in general, this is how you copy a file that's in a container while you're on the host's teminal:

docker cp <containerId or name>:/file/path/within/container /host/path/target

for example:

docker cp pihole:/etc/hosts /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/

FYI. You get the name or containerId fields from the output of: docker ps

Edited by frakman1

No doubt I'm missing some obvious answer, but my pihole installation keeps insisting on having the IP of the server itself. In the instructions it is advised to use bridge mode and give pihole its own IP. But even then it stays the same. When selecting the WebUI it can't be opened.

I've re-installed, removed, installed and changed settings all evening. Won't budge.

Config:

image.png.358cd4b364da2bee888834f4fcfe2f9e.png

Installing:

image.png.4e1a89800a3b8d14c00b2b19d8726623.png

Mapping:

image.png.673a51dfa20b4604506405c939de240a.png

Update:

Turns out the drop-down on top does not show the br0 interface for me. So somewhere in my config there seems to be an error... will have to investigate how to get it.

Edited by Kaastosti

Hi,

I have been using pi-hole for quite a while now.

Since several weeks i have some troubles.

My router is a unifi usg3. I have 4 uap ac access points.

Some ios couldn't get an ip from pi-hole.

I noticed in unifi dashboard many dhcp time out and dns time out.

I disabled pi-hole dhcp and enable dhcp server in usg (dnsmasq).

I have no more dhcp time out but still have dns time out.

When running pi-hole diagnostics it says :

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✗] No IPv4 address(es) found on the br0 interface.

[✗] No IPv6 address(es) found on the br0 interface.

[i] Default IPv4 gateway: 192.168.0.254
   * Pinging 192.168.0.254...
[✗] Gateway did not respond. (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/why-is-a-default-gateway-important-for-pi-hole/3546)

when i ping pi-hole ip it answers.

Do you have an idea of what's going on ?

I've tried to follow along with the SpaceInvader one video, but I can't figure out how to configure my unraid / docker / network to reach the pihole docker admin page. Could anyone help me out? 

ZJB3KE6.png

I've pasted screenshots of my various settings pages here: https://imgur.com/a/3tWDFD1

I'm unable to ping the IP that i have configured in the docker template:

c:> ping 192.168.86.53

Pinging 192.168.86.53 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.86.37: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.86.53:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Edited by nodeal
On 3/24/2020 at 8:52 PM, Kaastosti said:

No doubt I'm missing some obvious answer, but my pihole installation keeps insisting on having the IP of the server itself. In the instructions it is advised to use bridge mode and give pihole its own IP. But even then it stays the same. When selecting the WebUI it can't be opened.

I've re-installed, removed, installed and changed settings all evening. Won't budge.

Config:

image.png.358cd4b364da2bee888834f4fcfe2f9e.png

Installing:

image.png.4e1a89800a3b8d14c00b2b19d8726623.png

Mapping:

image.png.673a51dfa20b4604506405c939de240a.png

Update:

Turns out the drop-down on top does not show the br0 interface for me. So somewhere in my config there seems to be an error... will have to investigate how to get it.

Hey.

You should choose in the installation settings:

Network Type: Custom: br0

and enter the free IP address for your LAN in this field below:

Fixed IP address (optional):

Hey.
Pihole works, but I have another problem. If the server restarts Pihole settings in the Settings -> DNS tab are empty, none of the DNS is checked, which causes no internet.
After resetting, everything works again until the next server restart. It can not be like this.

I will also add that the usage logs are deleted, i.e. the lack of usage history and statistics.

Can you help?

Edited by LoOkas