[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

On 12/30/2019 at 3:53 PM, gtosnipey said:

Has anyone seen this error? I have been running pi-hole with no problems for months, and all of a sudden I am getting this, yet pi-hole still runs properly and is actively filtering. I have made no settings changes, the only change I can think of since I last checked is the Unraid 6.8 official update. Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.37f0954af1e53a2ddb5a9d3db348929d.png

I started getting this error today out of no where.  I was able to deduce the following things:

1.) My Pihole was set to "latest" and updated to v5.0 which immediately started causing this

2.) When I revert back to v4.4 I was still getting the issue but able to resolve it by the following:

- Going to the unraid command and entering:

chmod -R 777 /mnt/user/appdata/pihole

3.) The same solution does not work on v5.0 I tried multiple new installations and can not get past it. 

My v.4.4 is working but with some issues. My whitelist and blacklist is now currently empty.  I can add something to the whitelist and it says successful but it stays blank.  If I try to enter the same domain I get an error that the address is already added.  Other than that things are working as normal. Hope this helps, hopefully someone can solve for v5.0

Is there a way to connect pi-hole to two networks?

Atm I have it set up with it's own ip address, however I want to secure the admin interface. I can't do that though because letsencrypt is in a secure docker network for the containers, and just pointing it to pi-hole will send traffic unencrypted over the lan network.

I made an issue on the pi-hole docker github regarding this issue here.

Hi all

I was having an issue with the docker losing all stats when a setting change was made, I had this with the Unifi docker and it was caused by the interface settings. I noticed that I was not running this docker on my custom interface so I swapped to that but it wouldn't start, I managed to get it working using these settings:

"Network type" I had to keep as br0 rather than my custom interface called "atlas" but I was able to get it started by settings the INTERFACE as "atlas" and the "ServerIP" as the custom IP I wanted, does that look right? Hopefully it will fix my stats being reset each time too.

image.thumb.png.89ad098072c9eef529bdc190a3f6cfcb.png

On 4/28/2020 at 12:34 PM, danioj said:

I am not sure on your setup BUT I have pihole setup with the default blocklists as well as a great deal more. I have just tried to update a plugin and it worked fine.  

If you have setup pihole with its own IP AND you don't have the advanced docker option checked which allows for the "Host to communicate with custom networks" then I am going to guess that your issue relates to your unRAID server not being able to use pihole as a DNS server and therefore resolve the address that is used for updates.

Assuming I am right, you should add DNS servers - say Googles (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) - to your network config, meaning independent to your pihole setup, unRAID can always resolve addresses it needs to resolve whether the container is started or not.  To me that is a no brainer as there is nothing unRAID does you would wan to block.  In fact, you should do this anyway otherwise when you go to restart unRAID (when the container is not started) then it is not going to be able to do its network call home thing that it does (assuming it still does that) meaning you might not even be able to start the server.

THX Danioj, this solved my issue!

- I Enabled Host Acess to custom Network in advanced Docker settings

- I disabled preserve user defined Network in advanced Docker settings

The multiple DNS servers is handled by my router. So it does this job already.

BR Haugi

8 hours ago, rickydg said:

Im having issues installing via br0 network type. The log just returns; WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Two DNS servers are recommended, 127.0.0.1 and any backup server.

Where am I going wrong? Can't find how to fix it!

I have the same issue. Been fussing with it all week trying to get it to work, to no avail. 🧐 Can't get the web admin interface to come up at all. The custom IP I made for the docker is active/pingable but doesn't seem to be listening on port 80, for web connections. Go figure. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, rickydg said:

Im having issues installing via br0 network type. The log just returns; WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Two DNS servers are recommended, 127.0.0.1 and any backup server.

43 minutes ago, darth_platypus said:

I have the same issue. Been fussing with it all week trying to get it to work, to no avail. 🧐 Can't get the web admin interface to come up at all. The custom IP I made for the docker is active/pingable but doesn't seem to be listening on port 80, for web connections. Go figure. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t know about the specifics of your 2 guys’ setup but I have 2 DNS servers (Googles) in both my unraid config and also in Pihole. Then I have all my network pointing to pihole at the direction of my DHCP server which is my router (which also forces all DNS queries through pihole Even if the client specifies it’s own).

I also think it’s best to run the docker with it’s own IP so you can point clients at it. Not sure about any other config. 

As for the interface not coming up, I’d imagine this is because there is something wrong with the config preventing the application from starting. Then again, if that was the case, not sure the IP would be pingable as the docker wouldn’t start. What does the log say?

9 hours ago, rickydg said:

1 hour ago, darth_platypus said:

Hey Guys..I had this issue and resolved it by doing the following:

First go into Settings > Network and make sure Bridging is enabled.

Next go to Settings > Docker and make sure "Host Access to Custom Networks" is enabled. 

If they are both enabled and you still do not have the br0 interface run the following commands from terminal to rebuild the network stack.

rm /var/lib/docker/network/files/local-kv.db (First ran this to delete the local-kv.db)
/etc/rc.d/rc.docker restart (then this restarted the docker service)

Now these are two separate commands.  Once I did all of that, the interface came up for me.  Let me know if this works. 

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, danioj said:

I don’t know about the specifics of your 2 guys’ setup..

Here's a quick peek at my settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q2xt9ge93mnvt2/PiHole Settings.pdf?dl=0

20 minutes ago, danioj said:

What does the log say?

Here's my log file.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing...
::: Starting docker specific checks & setup for docker pihole/pihole
WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Two DNS servers are recommended, 127.0.0.1 and any backup server

WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Primary DNS should be 127.0.0.1 (found 127.0.0.11)

nameserver 127.0.0.11
options ndots:0
[i] Existing PHP installation detected : PHP version 7.0.33-0+deb9u7

[i] Installing configs from /etc/.pihole...
[i] Existing dnsmasq.conf found... it is not a Pi-hole file, leaving alone!
chown: cannot access '': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases': No such file or directory
::: Pre existing WEBPASSWORD found
Docker DNS variables not used
Existing DNS servers used (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)
DNSMasq binding to custom interface: br0
Added ENV to php:
"PHP_ERROR_LOG" => "/var/log/lighttpd/error.log",

"ServerIP" => "192.168.1.2",
"VIRTUAL_HOST" => "192.168.1.2",
Using IPv4
::: Preexisting ad list /etc/pihole/adlists.list detected ((exiting setup_blocklists early))
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
https://mirror1.malwaredomains.com/files/justdomains
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_tracking.txt
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_ad.txt
::: Testing pihole-FTL DNS: FTL started!
::: Testing lighttpd config: Syntax OK
::: All config checks passed, cleared for startup ...
::: Docker start setup complete
::: Starting docker specific checks & setup for docker pihole/pihole
WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Two DNS servers are recommended, 127.0.0.1 and any backup server

WARNING Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf: Primary DNS should be 127.0.0.1 (found 127.0.0.11)

nameserver 127.0.0.11
options ndots:0
[i] Existing PHP installation detected : PHP version 7.0.33-0+deb9u7

[i] Installing configs from /etc/.pihole...
[i] Existing dnsmasq.conf found... it is not a Pi-hole file, leaving alone!
chown: cannot access '': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases': No such file or directory
::: Pre existing WEBPASSWORD found
Docker DNS variables not used
Existing DNS servers used (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)
DNSMasq binding to custom interface: br0
Added ENV to php:
"PHP_ERROR_LOG" => "/var/log/lighttpd/error.log",

"ServerIP" => "192.168.1.2",
"VIRTUAL_HOST" => "192.168.1.2",
Using IPv4
::: Preexisting ad list /etc/pihole/adlists.list detected ((exiting setup_blocklists early))
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
https://mirror1.malwaredomains.com/files/justdomains
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_tracking.txt
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lists.disconnect.me/simple_ad.txt
::: Testing pihole-FTL DNS: FTL started!
::: Testing lighttpd config: Syntax OK
::: All config checks passed, cleared for startup ...
::: Docker start setup complete
[✗] DNS resolution is currently unavailable

11 minutes ago, Armed Ferret said:

Next go to Settings > Docker and make sure "Host Access to Custom Networks" is enabled. 

Thanks for sharing a solution that worked for you. :)

I already had bridging enabled and could already see Custom: br0 in the template, so I skipped everything except "Host Access to Custom Networks", which I enabled. Still seem to have the same problems, though. Can't reach the admin interface.

1 hour ago, Armed Ferret said:

If they are both enabled and you still do not have the br0 interface run the following commands from terminal to rebuild the network stack.

rm /var/lib/docker/network/files/local-kv.db (First ran this to delete the local-kv.db)
/etc/rc.d/rc.docker restart (then this restarted the docker service)

Now these are two separate commands.  Once I did all of that, the interface came up for me.  Let me know if this works. 

Thanks for the suggestions, but they didn't help. Rebuilding the network stack actually broke my reverse proxy 😭 got it back though :)

I really have no idea where to go next. My log looks the same as @darth_platypus

EDIT; I too can ping my pihole IP. When the container is running it responds, when I stop it, it doesn't, so im certain there's no IP conflict on the network.

Edited by rickydg

Hurrah! Good things come to those who wait.

Ok, so bare with while I roll through my situation. I have a UniFi UDM-Pro as a router. I had forgotten that I had enabled the Honeypot feature, and it was running on the same IP I had selected for Pihole. I only realised this when I was looking to see if the UDM-Pro had picked up any open ports on the first IP I was using. I've now tried a different IP and it works straight away.

TL;DR

Changed my IP of Pihole container and it worked!

6 minutes ago, rickydg said:

Hurrah! Good things come to those who wait.

Ok, so bare with while I roll through my situation. I have a UniFi UDM-Pro as a router. I had forgotten that I had enabled the Honeypot feature, and it was running on the same IP I had selected for Pihole. I only realised this when I was looking to see if the UDM-Pro had picked up any open ports on the first IP I was using. I've now tried a different IP and it works straight away.

TL;DR

Changed my IP of Pihole container and it worked!

You sir, win a prize. I had the exact same situation. 😂

I never would have realized it was the honeypot on the UDM if you hadn't figured that out. Thank you @rickydg! I can access the web admin interface now.

9 hours ago, darth_platypus said:

You sir, win a prize. I had the exact same situation. 😂

I never would have realized it was the honeypot on the UDM if you hadn't figured that out. Thank you @rickydg! I can access the web admin interface now.

Small world, huh? Glad I could help 🤪 

On 5/11/2020 at 6:52 PM, gtosnipey said:

I started getting this error today out of no where.  I was able to deduce the following things:

1.) My Pihole was set to "latest" and updated to v5.0 which immediately started causing this

2.) When I revert back to v4.4 I was still getting the issue but able to resolve it by the following:

- Going to the unraid command and entering:

3.) The same solution does not work on v5.0 I tried multiple new installations and can not get past it. 

My v.4.4 is working but with some issues. My whitelist and blacklist is now currently empty.  I can add something to the whitelist and it says successful but it stays blank.  If I try to enter the same domain I get an error that the address is already added.  Other than that things are working as normal. Hope this helps, hopefully someone can solve for v5.0

I have the same problem did you find a solution? its driving me crazy

2 hours ago, ITSALLGREEK2ME said:

I have the same problem did you find a solution? its driving me crazy

No solution yet. Im back to v4.4 because at least it works. But the whitelist shows blank and so does the blacklist, and I can't update to v5.0 without the permissions error. I wonder if everyone is having this issue or if anyone has found a solution and running v5.0? I have tried multiple new installs and permissions changes. 

7 hours ago, danioj said:

No issue with v5.0 for me. 

The upgrade happened at some point over the last week and didn’t notice. 

Logs are clean of errors and all my settings are intact. 

Update: Even after I fixed the issue, it just came back on Version 4.4, I am getting the permission denied for the same folder. Hmmmmm...

Error

There was a problem applying your settings.
Debugging information:
PHP error (2): parse_ini_file(/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/admin/settings.php:11

4 hours ago, ITSALLGREEK2ME said:

How did you fix the permissions?

In Unraid in the top right corner hit "Terminal" and type in

Then pihole webpage automatically refreshes and logs out. Then once you log in things are all set.