[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

5 hours ago, tucansam said:

How do I configure pi-hole on docker to accept incoming ssh connections?

Why do you need that? It is not really the docker-way to access your container (except perhaps for debugging). There should really be no need for it.

But from your Unraid CLI you can do something like `docker exec -it pihole bash`, then you have a shell inside container and you can install sshd and whatnot

Dockers can't point to pi-hole, is my understanding, and my docker and plug-in update checks were taking upwards of 6-10 minutes.

Also now I can do service on my server without taking down DNS for the whole house.

The pi-hole docker is sweet but my needs are much better served with a real device.

Dockers can't point to pi-hole, is my understanding, and my docker and plug-in update checks were taking upwards of 6-10 minutes.

Also now I can do service on my server without taking down DNS for the whole house.

The pi-hole docker is sweet but my needs are much better served with a real device.

I have two network cards to avoid any problems and my main pihole is the docker. I have a secondary pihole as a physical machine with opnsense providing both DNS ips for DHCP

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, tucansam said:

You can still add a container with 'bridge' as network, then it will just get it's own internal IP so yes that is still possible.

But yeah you will kill your DNS if you take your server offline yes...

(or use both your unraid/docker + a pi then you can also take your pi offline without problems!)

Edited by mattie112

Hello, I installed this docker but I can't access the WebUI.

When checking the logs i found:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing...
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing...
::: Starting docker specific checks & setup for docker pihole/pihole

[i] Installing configs from /etc/.pihole...
[i] Existing dnsmasq.conf found... it is not a Pi-hole file, leaving alone!
chown: cannot access '': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp.leases': No such file or directory
/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf: line 4: 192.168.1.87: command not found
Converting DNS1 to PIHOLE_DNS_
Converting DNS2 to PIHOLE_DNS_
Setting DNS servers based on PIHOLE_DNS_ variable
::: Pre existing WEBPASSWORD found
DNSMasq binding to custom interface: br0
/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf: line 4: 192.168.1.87: command not found
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 127.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

image.thumb.png.51a1807be4197683fdd445a129afe598.png

Any guidance would be appreciated 

I learned today what a DNS leak test is, and how to do one.

From what I understand, if the leak test fails, my ISP can see all of my DNS traffic, or am I completely misunderstanding this?

If I am correct, how do I get my current setup to pass the DNS leak test by routing my PiHole traffic through my DelugeVPN container on the same box? Is that even possible?

My setup:

• Router/Default Gateway: 10.100.1.1
  • Desktop PC: 10.100.1.5
  • Unraid Server + DelugeVPN docker as proxy server: 10.100.1.3
  • PiHole docker (DHCP reservations + OpenDNS): 10.100.1.2
  • Public IP of DelugeVPN container using VPN: 96.47.226.170

DNS Leak Test from desktop PC using DelugeVPN IP set as proxy server and PiHole IP set as DNS server:

image.png.e5cc60be14a146b478a8e808b44676de.png

Edited by carnivorebrah

Anyone else have their PiHole break with the update that came out today? Was humming along great and now it's broken. I even did a complete removal, delete the template, remove all AppData, and restore from Teleporter function backup.

Ideas? I'm not sure where logs get stored but along the header of the homepage I see "Lost Connection to API" and all DNS resolution stopped.

3 minutes ago, xaositek said:

Anyone else have their PiHole break with the update that came out today? Was humming along great and now it's broken. I even did a complete removal, delete the template, remove all AppData, and restore from Teleporter function backup.

Ideas? I'm not sure where logs get stored but along the header of the homepage I see "Lost Connection to API" and all DNS resolution stopped.

Yes mine did too

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 4.43.24 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

So I was able to get this installed, it's up and running by just following the walkthrough video from SpaceInvader (thanks for this~!).

I was wondering if there was a way to make it so instead of the client IP showing, I was able to either get the hostname or rename the device to something more straight forward?  I saw someone mention this back on page 29... but my unraid knowledge is severely lacking so don't understand how he did it.  Thanks for the help in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

not sure if this is the correct place to post possible bugs for unraid-pihole or pi-hole itself as I'm not sure what's the issue

upon updating to

Pi-hole v5.2.4

Web Interface v5.4

FTL v5.7

when pi-hole restarts the dns server automatically resets to google dns. I had set it as cloudflare. Tested a 2nd time and it reverted back to google. Unsure if I'm the only one with the issue as I have not seen it posted with a simple google search. The issue seems to only happen with restart.  Changing DNS and clicking save seems to set the DNS to the one you want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, ThatNewb said:

not sure if this is the correct place to post possible bugs for unraid-pihole or pi-hole itself as I'm not sure what's the issue

upon updating to

Pi-hole v5.2.4

Web Interface v5.4

FTL v5.7

when pi-hole restarts the dns server automatically resets to google dns. I had set it as cloudflare. Tested a 2nd time and it reverted back to google. Unsure if I'm the only one with the issue as I have not seen it posted with a simple google search. The issue seems to only happen with restart.  Changing DNS and clicking save seems to set the DNS to the one you want.

I posted a bit above you about this exact same issue. 

No response. 

Have you gotten it fixed? I hate that it keeps resetting itself to Google. I don't want to use Google.