[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

3 hours ago, Froberg said:

I posted a bit above you about this exact same issue. 

No response. 

Have you gotten it fixed? I hate that it keeps resetting itself to Google. I don't want to use Google. 

there was no reply to my comment 

Great - thats the way to do it. 

The template is for the official Pi-hole docker, I don't make any changes so please check their github for issues.

I just changed the template to remove the dns entries from the extra parameters setting though as this was causing issues for some... Unfortunately this change doesnt roll down if you have already have Pihole setup. ( I dont think this fixes your issue though).

I will take another look tomorrow (I'm in the UK).

On 4/6/2021 at 4:42 AM, spants said:

how did you update? Was it the docker container or inside the docker container (which you shouldn't do)?.

My template pulls down the official docker container with no changes. If there are bugs with Pi-hole, please log them at https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/issues or https://pi-hole.net/

I clicked update all for all my modules at once.

I posted it to pi-hole and it's a known issue.
https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/issues/822

this seems to be the suggested fix

https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/actions/runs/745678042

though I'm unsure how to actually do it lol

Edited by ThatNewb
  • Like 1

I could use some expert help.  I installed a SSD cache drive and was attempting to move all docker apps off the array and onto the cache drive.  I failed.......   I have since removed all other docker apps and started again but this time installing all the apps again on the cache drive instead.  The only app that refuses to come back gracefully is Pihole Template.

I receive the following error running pihole after deleting and re-installing pihole-template from CA:

"Execution error

Error code 403"

I have tried removing pihole and ensuring that the appdata folder has been cleaned of any leftover data however each time I try to reinstall I get the same result.  When I choose to look at the logs from Pihole they are blank.  It does not appear as if anything is being written to them. Previous attempts would yield a failure stating that the address is already in use at installation time.  I no longer get that error message.  The app seems to install cleanly now but again will not start with the above error. 

I am really stuck and run out of talent to get this fixed.  Tried Googling the answer but I'm not really finding any help.  My Linux knowledge is very limited which doesn't help but I can get around a little.

I've rebooted and created a Diagnostic which I hope attaches OK.  Any help from the community would be appreciated!! 

unraid-diagnostics-20210418-1411.zip

6 hours ago, Lichtywara said:

I could use some expert help.  I installed a SSD cache drive and was attempting to move all docker apps off the array and onto the cache drive.  I failed.......   I have since removed all other docker apps and started again but this time installing all the apps again on the cache drive instead.  The only app that refuses to come back gracefully is Pihole Template.

I receive the following error running pihole after deleting and re-installing pihole-template from CA:

"Execution error

Error code 403"

I have tried removing pihole and ensuring that the appdata folder has been cleaned of any leftover data however each time I try to reinstall I get the same result.  When I choose to look at the logs from Pihole they are blank.  It does not appear as if anything is being written to them. Previous attempts would yield a failure stating that the address is already in use at installation time.  I no longer get that error message.  The app seems to install cleanly now but again will not start with the above error. 

I am really stuck and run out of talent to get this fixed.  Tried Googling the answer but I'm not really finding any help.  My Linux knowledge is very limited which doesn't help but I can get around a little.

I've rebooted and created a Diagnostic which I hope attaches OK.  Any help from the community would be appreciated!! 

unraid-diagnostics-20210418-1411.zip 72.91 kB · 0 downloads

I've been reading and digging deeper.  I read that sometimes the error can occur if the port is already in use.  I SSH into Unraid and ran some checks using the lsof command to see if the Pihole ports were already in use.  None of the ports seem to be in use.

Next I tried changing from custom br0 (needed for Pihole to work properly) to Host.  The app then amazingly does start!!!  So I tried changing it to bridge to see what would happen which fails the same way as using custom br0.

So I feel like I am closer but not sure what is involved here that could be crashing Pihole in Docker immediately when those settings are used.  The IP in the previous setup is exactly identical to the current one.  Perhaps something is lingering behind so when Pihole now tries to setup/use the same settings its a bust.  I don't know where this could be.

On 4/18/2021 at 9:04 PM, Lichtywara said:

I've been reading and digging deeper.  I read that sometimes the error can occur if the port is already in use.  I SSH into Unraid and ran some checks using the lsof command to see if the Pihole ports were already in use.  None of the ports seem to be in use.

Next I tried changing from custom br0 (needed for Pihole to work properly) to Host.  The app then amazingly does start!!!  So I tried changing it to bridge to see what would happen which fails the same way as using custom br0.

So I feel like I am closer but not sure what is involved here that could be crashing Pihole in Docker immediately when those settings are used.  The IP in the previous setup is exactly identical to the current one.  Perhaps something is lingering behind so when Pihole now tries to setup/use the same settings its a bust.  I don't know where this could be.

Anyone have an idea or a few cycles to help me out??

Any time I try to reinstall pihole I get the following output.  As mentioned previously I've checked TCP/UDP ports 53, UDP port 67 and TCP port 80, 443 to ensure nothing else was using them.  As I understand it ports 53 and 67 are the big ones.  Nothing is using them.  Port 443 is being utilized by nginx.  Changing any of the ports does not seem to make any difference.

It is as if there is some network config data still linked from the previous instance of the pihole container that did not get removed properly associated with "custom br0".  I tried changing the static IP assigned to my Unraid server also altering all the IPs manually in my other containers.  All other containers are working but pihole still breaks if I choose custom br0.

"root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='pihole-template' --net='br0' --ip='192.168.50.2' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_53'='53' -e 'UDP_PORT_53'='53' -e 'UDP_PORT_67'='67' -e 'TCP_PORT_80'='80' -e 'TCP_PORT_443'='443' -e 'DNS1'='8.8.8.8' -e 'DNS2'='8.8.4.4' -e 'TZ'='America/Toronto' -e 'WEBPASSWORD'='admin' -e 'INTERFACE'='br0' -e 'ServerIP'='192.168.50.2' -e 'ServerIPv6'='' -e 'IPv6'='False' -e 'DNSMASQ_LISTENING'='all' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/pihole/pihole/':'/etc/pihole/':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/pihole/dnsmasq.d/':'/etc/dnsmasq.d/':'rw' --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --restart=unless-stopped 'pihole/pihole:latest'

7c9619cf37bece81f38cfae61a42e46142d727c03348dbe2b94a0795d57fc9b9
docker: Error response from daemon: Address already in use.

The command failed."

It's 192.168.50.2 that you're assigning it that's in use by something else, in this case presumably your server since that's the SERVERIP variable you've done.  If you're running on br0, you need to assign it a unique address (and keep ServerIP pointed at your server)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Squid said:

It's 192.168.50.2 that you're assigning it that's in use by something else, in this case presumably your server since that's the SERVERIP variable you've done.  If you're running on br0, you need to assign it a unique address (and keep ServerIP pointed at your server)

Changed custom br0 to 192.168.50.3 and made sure the SERVER IP variable was the same.  Fired right up!  I feel a little dumb now but at least I am a dummy with less ads floating around.  :)

Will make the new changes in my router and I'll be back in business!!! 

Thank you Squid.  Your help was MUCH appreciated!

On 4/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, ThatNewb said:

I clicked update all for all my modules at once.

I posted it to pi-hole and it's a known issue.
https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/issues/822

this seems to be the suggested fix

https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/actions/runs/745678042

though I'm unsure how to actually do it lol

As far as I know it's recommended to set up the DNS in the template and not in the Pi-hole config.

Cheers

What do you want to do?

You can either mount /etc/hosts to the container (a file not a directory, it will "overwrite" the file in the container)

You can 'docker exec -it pihole bash' to get a shell in the container and change/read the file from there

Supply an 'extra_hosts (or add-host)' to your container then docker will inject it into /etc/hosts (https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/run/#network-settings)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I am in the right place.

I am having difficulty upgrading to the most recent template version (running 5.2.4 currently).  When I check for updates in the GUI, I see:

image.png.3e01aa9d1ab3017d3a319b9e436244d2.png

I am pointed to the repository:

https://github.com/limetech/docker-templates

The Github instructions seem to say that the ideal way to upgrade is to install a new Docker, but I would like to backup my settings first.  Can someone help or put me on the right path?

Thanks!

Edited by Chester
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So today I noticed the webUI will no longer load. it has been working fine for the past...forever however, Ads are no longer being blocked and I can see my UDMpro switching to the secondary DNS (1.1.1.1)

Container logs:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: applying...
[fix-attrs.d] 01-resolver-resolv: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: executing...
::: Starting docker specific checks & setup for docker pihole/pihole

[i] Installing configs from /etc/.pihole...
[i] Existing dnsmasq.conf found... it is not a Pi-hole file, leaving alone!
Converting DNS1 to PIHOLE_DNS_
Converting DNS2 to PIHOLE_DNS_
Setting DNS servers based on PIHOLE_DNS_ variable
::: Pre existing WEBPASSWORD found
DNSMasq binding to custom interface: br0
Added ENV to php:
"PHP_ERROR_LOG" => "/var/log/lighttpd/error.log",
"ServerIP" => "10.10.5.2",
"VIRTUAL_HOST" => "10.10.5.2",
Using IPv4
::: Preexisting ad list /etc/pihole/adlists.list detected ((exiting setup_blocklists early))
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
::: Testing pihole-FTL DNS: FTL started!
::: Testing lighttpd config: Syntax OK
::: All config checks passed, cleared for startup ...
::: Enabling Query Logging
[i] Enabling logging...
::: Docker start setup complete
Current Pi-hole version is v5.3.1.
Current AdminLTE version is v5.5.
Current FTL version is v5.8.1.
[cont-init.d] 20-start.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting crond
Starting pihole-FTL (no-daemon) as root
Starting lighttpd
[services.d] done.

I removed the container, image and everything else to start fresh but so far the issue remains and I am honestly not sure why.

Inside the PHP error log is: 2021-06-23 23:34:18: (server.c.1464) server started (lighttpd/1.4.53)

There's already routing in Unraid setup under br0 for 10.10.5.0/24, this is set within the container template.

Navigating to 10.10.5.2/admin leads to nothing.  I'm not really sure what else to look at or pull, let me know and I will do so.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:42 AM, Rockstar said:

I removed the container, image and everything else to start fresh but so far the issue remains and I am honestly not sure why.

Inside the PHP error log is: 2021-06-23 23:34:18: (server.c.1464) server started (lighttpd/1.4.53)

There's already routing in Unraid setup under br0 for 10.10.5.0/24, this is set within the container template.

Navigating to 10.10.5.2/admin leads to nothing.  I'm not really sure what else to look at or pull, let me know and I will do so.

Try it with Extra Parameters only containing:

--cap-add=NET_ADMIN --restart=unless-stopped

On 6/25/2021 at 3:09 AM, spants said:

Try it with Extra Parameters only containing:

--cap-add=NET_ADMIN --restart=unless-stopped

This exact parameter was already in that field so I removed it and same thing.

I should note: I've already rebooted the server and the firewall just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks:

Due to a system problem, I am attempting to reinstall pi-hole using my prior settings, and am receiving an error.  192.168.1.6 was the prior IP for pi-hole.  Nothing else should be using it.  What am I missing?

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='pihole-template' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'DNS1'='8.8.8.8' -e 'DNS2'='8.8.4.4' -e 'TZ'='Europe/London' -e 'WEBPASSWORD'='admin' -e 'INTERFACE'='br0' -e 'ServerIP'='192.168.1.6' -e 'ServerIPv6'='' -e 'IPv6'='False' -e 'DNSMASQ_LISTENING'='all' -p '53:53/tcp' -p '53:53/udp' -p '67:67/udp' -p '80:80/tcp' -p '443:443/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/':'/etc/pihole/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/dnsmasq.d/':'/etc/dnsmasq.d/':'rw' --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --restart=unless-stopped 'pihole/pihole:latest'

eed605eab752e8e4f3c6eec49be60833852616e6a91938df1f7a7941b2579880
docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint pihole-template (196976ec9b914759b932679f1066b4cca1d77542d395fcc22d07a00824dd938f): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use.

6 hours ago, spants said:

Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use.

Are you sure nothing is on that IP?

UPDATE - it's fixed.  I followed Space Invader One's video - I guess I needed to assign a fixed IP to the docker.

I'm not positive.  There is nothing intentionally running there anyway.  The only recent change was updating pi-hole and UNRAID to new versions. 

If needed - the DHCP range starts at .10.  .6 was set aside for pi-hole.  My kids devices were pointed there for DNS.  arp -a shows nothing assigned.  That's about the limit of my networking skills unfortunately.  Everything worked until I updated UNRAID and had to reinstall pi-hole.

Edited by Chester
more info