[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

9 hours ago, jrdnlc said:

Sorry, been busy with work. I'll give it a try today and report back later tonight.

Anyone make a script to be able to clear the logs using the users script plugin?

try this, it sets the password for the GUI as well (which seems to randomly reset itself)

#!/bin/bash
DOCKER_NAME=pihole
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

#          Download any updates from the adlists
docker exec $DOCKER_NAME pihole updateGravity > /dev/null

# Pi-hole: Update the Web interface shortly after gravity runs
#          This should also update the version number if it is changed in the dashboard repo
#docker exec $DOCKER_NAME pihole updateDashboard > /dev/null

# Pi-hole: Parse the log file before it is flushed and save the stats to a database
#          This will be used for a historical view of your Pi-hole's performance
#docker exec $DOCKER_NAME dailyLog.sh # note: this is outdated > /dev/null

# Pi-hole: Flush the log daily at 11:58 so it doesn't get out of control
#          Stats will be viewable in the Web interface thanks to the cron job above
docker exec $DOCKER_NAME  pihole flush > /dev/null

# updates password for docker gui
docker exec $DOCKER_NAME  pihole -a -p newpassword

• Upvote 2

Awesome job on the docker, installed it yesterday. General question for pi-hole I was hoping someone could answer. Been searching the internet but haven't found an answer. Its doing its job with blocking ads but on sooooo many sites i am getting log in pops ups. Is the only thing i can do is add each one to a whitelist? I added 20 yesterday and not even close to being done. It seems like its more trouble then its worth unless i want to spend a week going through sites and adding their ad servers and such to the whitelist.

Thanks

1 hour ago, mgworek said:

Awesome job on the docker, installed it yesterday. General question for pi-hole I was hoping someone could answer. Been searching the internet but haven't found an answer. Its doing its job with blocking ads but on sooooo many sites i am getting log in pops ups. Is the only thing i can do is add each one to a whitelist? I added 20 yesterday and not even close to being done. It seems like its more trouble then its worth unless i want to spend a week going through sites and adding their ad servers and such to the whitelist.

Thanks

Make sure that you add them to the blacklist - not the whitelist!

• 4 weeks later...

Also if anybody have the issue issue with my query log showing up in GMT time zone?

my unraid is setup to EST.

tried several different things from Google but has no impact.

here is the output from pihole docker:

bash-4.3# env
WEBLOGDIR=/var/log/nginx
IPv6=False
HOSTNAME=70fe0ff4fde4
HOST_OS=unRAID
DNS2=208.67.220.220
PATH=/opt/pihole:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
DNS1=208.67.222.222
PWD=/
TZ=America/New_York
SHLVL=1
HOME=/root
PHP_CONFIG=/etc/php5/php-fpm.conf
TINI_VERSION=v0.13.0
IMAGE=alpine
PHP_ERROR_LOG=/var/log/nginx/error.log
PHP_ENV_CONFIG=/etc/php5/fpm.d/envs.conf
setupVars=/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf
ServerIP=10.10.10.61
PIHOLE_INSTALL=/tmp/ph_install.sh
_=/usr/bin/env
bash-4.3#
bash-4.3#
bash-4.3#
bash-4.3# date
Wed May 17 03:07:18 EDT 2017

2017-05-17 UTC 07:04:25 A registry.hub.docker.com 10.10.10.203 OK  Blacklist
2017-05-17 UTC 07:04:17 A m.irrigationcaddy.com 10.10.10.1 OK
13 hours ago, ez2002 said:

Is this docker still being updated directly from pihole?

I just started using it and notice that the version installed are as followed:

Pi-hole Version v2.13.2(Update available!) Web Interface Version v2.5.2(Update available!)

But there is version 3.0.1 available at: https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/releases

The docker hasn't been updated yet (I only maintain the Template)... The reason is here:- https://github.com/diginc/docker-pi-hole/issues/122

...hopefully soon!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 1:40 PM, spants said:

The new update for pihole allows for passwords for the front end. To remove or change the password:

1) ssh to your unraid tower

2) docker exec -ti pihole /bin/bash

3) sudo pihole -a -p newpassword (blank to remove)

I've done this but the new password only works until I restart the docker, then a random password is automatically being generated. Any ideas?

3 hours ago, mintjberry said:

I've done this but the new password only works until I restart the docker, then a random password is automatically being generated. Any ideas?

See the post of spants on top of this page, create cron.script, schedule it to run it every morning or whatever.

Good luck

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Unducthable said:

See the post of spants on top of this page, create cron.script, schedule it to run it every morning or whatever.

Good luck

I use the script with the UserScripts plugin to run every day. That works really well.

• Upvote 1

I've installed this yesterday (using the method of giving the container its own IP adress) and also use it as the DHCP server for my network (as my router would set its own IP as DNS to my clients and ignore the upstream to PiHole in the local network). So far so good and thanks for the good work!

Now, on to my actual question: can this be used with the OpenVPN container and if so, how should this be configured? Just setting the (192.168.x.x) IP adress as the DNS server in OpenVPN didn't work. Other tutorials (where both PiHole and OpnVPN run on the same machine) mention the address of tun0?

Anyone have any issues with "Authentication Required" on site that have had the add's blocked? I read an earlier response where someone said add these to the blocklist, but they are already listed in my blocklist & were piholed!!

Authentication required.JPG

Pi-holed.JPG

Edited by clowrym
On 6/1/2017 at 3:12 PM, clowrym said:

Anyone have any issues with "Authentication Required" on site that have had the add's blocked? I read an earlier response where someone said add these to the blocklist, but they are already listed in my blocklist & were piholed!!

Authentication required.JPG

Pi-holed.JPG

I actually fixed this issue by Giving this Docker it's own IP address, rather than running in Bridge Mode.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:14 AM, spants said:

try this, it sets the password for the GUI as well (which seems to randomly reset itself)

#!/bin/bash
DOCKER_NAME=pihole
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

#          Download any updates from the adlists
docker exec $DOCKER_NAME pihole updateGravity > /dev/null

# Pi-hole: Update the Web interface shortly after gravity runs
#          This should also update the version number if it is changed in the dashboard repo
#docker exec $DOCKER_NAME pihole updateDashboard > /dev/null

# Pi-hole: Parse the log file before it is flushed and save the stats to a database
#          This will be used for a historical view of your Pi-hole's performance

# Pi-hole: Flush the log daily at 11:58 so it doesn't get out of control
#          Stats will be viewable in the Web interface thanks to the cron job above
docker exec $DOCKER_NAME  pihole flush > /dev/null

# updates password for docker gui
docker exec $DOCKER_NAME  pihole -a -p newpassword

Should we not be enabling this line?

If so, how do we get the stats to stay and not be wiped each day?

59 minutes ago, mintjberry said:

Should we not be enabling this line?

If so, how do we get the stats to stay and not be wiped each day?

would be worth a try!. Let me know how you get on

1 minute ago, ebnerjoh said:

Hi,

I got it running with virtual ip address for the Docker. 

But now a question: how is PiHole updated in the Docker?

Br,

Johannes

docker exec -ti pihole /bin/bash

then

pihole -up

currently though there is an issue with updating ftl, it docent complete!

pihole -g will update the block lists if you want to do it manually

I believe the FTL issue with get fixed int he next release, It is a listed issue on their GitHub. not sure about the other error when you updated gravity. I get a the "DNS server is not running error on one of my servers, but everything seems to still be working

Edited by clowrym