[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

Hello all, maybe I'm missing it, but anyway to add local host entries?  There are plenty of ways to add local DNS lookup (need to resolve *nix boxes and other that don't do netbios) when running on a full VM/host, but not finding a way to do this in an unraid docker.

EDIT; 

It suddenly started working after 2 days it seems, who knows why. 

Hey, 

updated the docker tonight, it seems the DNS server is working fine, but the web ui is not reachable anymore. Running unraid 6.4.

Earlier it was setup as bridge but to port 8081, this worked fine. 

After the upgrade I have tried setting it as the same, no go. 

I tried setting it up with br0 and its own ip, no go

I've added the extra parameters, i tried renaming the interface to eth0 and a few other tips i found from the recent posts in this thread, nothing seems to help. 

I've now set it up as with 'host', and changed unraid management port to 81

I cannot for the life of me get the pi-hole webui to work

launch command when starting pihole; 

-

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="pihole" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "TCP_PORT_53"="53" -e "UDP_PORT_53"="53" -e "TCP_PORT_80"="80" -e "ServerIP"="192.168.0.252" -e "DNS1"="8.8.8.8" -e "DNS2"="8.8.4.4" -e "IPv6"="False" -e "TZ"="Europe/London" -e "WEBPASSWORD"="admin" -e "INTERFACE"="eth0" -e "DNSMASQ_LISTENING"="all" -v "/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/":"/etc/pihole/":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/dnsmasq.d/":"/etc/dnsmasq.d/":rw --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --dns 127.0.0.1 --dns 8.8.8.8 diginc/pi-hole:latest

WARNING: Localhost DNS setting (--dns=127.0.0.1) may fail in containers.
--a bunch of numbers etc, looks like a fingerprint, leaving this private for now:)--

The command finished successfully!

-

is there something stupid I'm missing ? Halp!

Edited by Abnorm

How do I prevent a container update from resetting my custom upstream DNS setting (internal router IP running Unbound)? I entered the IP in the template and I tried it three ways, with the second DNS server blank, repeating first IP, and deleting the variable. None worked ,the container started with an upstream DSN error and disabled the resolver and UI.

On 25/03/2018 at 10:35 PM, deagle said:

How do I prevent a container update from resetting my custom upstream DNS setting (internal router IP running Unbound)? I entered the IP in the template and I tried it three ways, with the second DNS server blank, repeating first IP, and deleting the variable. None worked ,the container started with an upstream DSN error and disabled the resolver and UI.

If you set dns1 and dns2 to Unbound, it gets changed?

On 3/3/2018 at 1:32 PM, WexfordStyle said:

If one uses the LetsEncrypt docker as a reverse proxy and also uses this docker. Can the PiHole dashboard be accessed through the reverse proxy? I cannot get it to work. 

I get 502 bad gateway.

Same here. I know my nginx config is good because I had pihole running and working on an actual raspberry pi for quite a while until the pi died last week.

Maybe related, but I also have a bizarre issue where I can't access the admin GUI while connected to my network via VPN. I can only access it from a machine directly on the LAN.

On 3/18/2018 at 4:50 AM, RokleM said:

Hello all, maybe I'm missing it, but anyway to add local host entries?  There are plenty of ways to add local DNS lookup (need to resolve *nix boxes and other that don't do netbios) when running on a full VM/host, but not finding a way to do this in an unraid docker.

Wondering the same, if I find a solution for this I can really replace my Pi.

27 minutes ago, Kewjoe said:

No, are you sure the CPU usage is being caused my pihole?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Well I looked into it a little more.  It may not have been as bad as I thought  It looks like my CPU went up 4%-5% when I was running pihole which seems like quite a bit for what it is doing though.

For everyone getting the 502 bad gateway with nginx... I believe its caused by port 80 fix of using the custom etho... when u do that it isolates pihole from your other dockers.... the fix is to change unraid to another port, let pihole run on port of your host network using port 80

Once u do that you'll fix the bad gateway error, but all I can get to load is the dashboard but the stats r blank... u click login u get a page can't be found... can anyone assist with that?

23 hours ago, Kube said:

For everyone getting the 502 bad gateway with nginx... I believe its caused by port 80 fix of using the custom etho... when u do that it isolates pihole from your other dockers.... the fix is to change unraid to another port, let pihole run on port of your host network using port 80

Once u do that you'll fix the bad gateway error, but all I can get to load is the dashboard but the stats r blank... u click login u get a page can't be found... can anyone assist with that?

how do you that from command line since i cant get into the webui?

better yet how do kill the docker so i can access the webui?

Installed the docker on two networks -- worked great on one / shut off all DNS on the other. Going to try again on the second network but in the meantime, I have a few questions.

1) When I go to http://192.168.2.25/Docker it takes a long time and then I get not available in red for the version of all the dockers I have installed. The dockers also don't have icons -- instead just circles with white question marks. Am I supposed to whitelist something for Dockers to work properly? When I check the dashboard nothing is being blocked.

2) When I started reading this topic in the first few pages there was mention of running a script every night to clear out the logs -- is that still necessary or can log length now be set inside the docker?

On the second network, I have managed to get PiHole working but Dashboard and Query Log show no data -- all the settings are identical to the one that is working properly except under status in the top left Load is red on the one having issues. The unRaid server should not be under any high load.

Edited by Naldinho

Just updated the docker and seeing no data at all and the log is full of;

Found pihole-FTL process with PID 435 (my PID 699) - killing it ...

Any ideas?

pihole.png