[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

On 6/25/2021 at 3:09 AM, spants said:

Try it with Extra Parameters only containing:

--cap-add=NET_ADMIN --restart=unless-stopped

This exact parameter was already in that field so I removed it and same thing.

I should note: I've already rebooted the server and the firewall just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks:

Due to a system problem, I am attempting to reinstall pi-hole using my prior settings, and am receiving an error.  192.168.1.6 was the prior IP for pi-hole.  Nothing else should be using it.  What am I missing?

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='pihole-template' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'DNS1'='8.8.8.8' -e 'DNS2'='8.8.4.4' -e 'TZ'='Europe/London' -e 'WEBPASSWORD'='admin' -e 'INTERFACE'='br0' -e 'ServerIP'='192.168.1.6' -e 'ServerIPv6'='' -e 'IPv6'='False' -e 'DNSMASQ_LISTENING'='all' -p '53:53/tcp' -p '53:53/udp' -p '67:67/udp' -p '80:80/tcp' -p '443:443/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/':'/etc/pihole/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pihole/dnsmasq.d/':'/etc/dnsmasq.d/':'rw' --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --restart=unless-stopped 'pihole/pihole:latest'

eed605eab752e8e4f3c6eec49be60833852616e6a91938df1f7a7941b2579880
docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint pihole-template (196976ec9b914759b932679f1066b4cca1d77542d395fcc22d07a00824dd938f): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use.

6 hours ago, spants said:

Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use.

Are you sure nothing is on that IP?

UPDATE - it's fixed.  I followed Space Invader One's video - I guess I needed to assign a fixed IP to the docker.

I'm not positive.  There is nothing intentionally running there anyway.  The only recent change was updating pi-hole and UNRAID to new versions. 

If needed - the DHCP range starts at .10.  .6 was set aside for pi-hole.  My kids devices were pointed there for DNS.  arp -a shows nothing assigned.  That's about the limit of my networking skills unfortunately.  Everything worked until I updated UNRAID and had to reinstall pi-hole.

Edited by Chester
more info
  • 2 weeks later...

I have piHole configured and working.

Is it advisable to change unraid to use the IP address for my pihole, instead of my router's wan setting for dns?

I tried searching this thread, but no luck.

Edited by Robc390
On 6/27/2021 at 6:58 PM, Rockstar said:

This exact parameter was already in that field so I removed it and same thing.

I should note: I've already rebooted the server and the firewall just in case.

Just a note:

I solved my issue - It had nothing to do with the container or unraid at all.  Somehow my UDM Pro changed the range of allowed IPs for that subnet and thus wouldn't work. By updating this, everything now works as it originally did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am trying to set up a whitelist at https://github.com/anudeepND/whitelist/blob/master/README.md but cant seem to get it to work without Python 3. The instructions for a docker install / install without Python doesnt seem to work either. Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, newunraiduser5 said:

Hi, I am trying to set up a whitelist at https://github.com/anudeepND/whitelist/blob/master/README.md but cant seem to get it to work without Python 3. The instructions for a docker install / install without Python doesnt seem to work either. Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.

There is a section on the readme that will help.

0) If you dont have python3 on your unRaid, install it via the nerdtools plugin.

1) find the path for /etc/pihole/  - for me it is /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/

2) ssh to your unraid and cd to that directory

3) git clone https://github.com/anudeepND/whitelist.git

4) cd whitelist/scripts

5) ./whitelist.py --dir /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/ --docker

6) ./referral.sh --dir /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/ --docker

7) restart pihole

• Like 2
20 hours ago, spants said:

There is a section on the readme that will help.

0) If you dont have python3 on your unRaid, install it via the nerdtools plugin.

1) find the path for /etc/pihole/  - for me it is /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/

2) ssh to your unraid and cd to that directory

3) git clone https://github.com/anudeepND/whitelist.git

4) cd whitelist/scripts

5) ./whitelist.py --dir /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/ --docker

6) ./referral.sh --dir /mnt/user/appdata/pihole/pihole/ --docker

7) restart pihole

Thank you so much for this and I am sorry I missed it. Can I check where is the readme file?

Hey all. I am hoping someone can help me out here. I have been using this pi-hole template docker for almost 8 months without an issue. We had a power outage the other day, and since then if I use pi-hole for DNS nothing resolves, pages don't load, and ads are not blocked. If I change my dns setting in my router to just use google DNS everything is fine. If I change it to 192.168.1.2 (set for pihole in the docker config) my router insists I am not connected to anything and nothing loads. I really don't know why. I haven't changed any settings in forever which is why I mention the outage. Can't think how that would affect anything either but it's all I have. I also finally updated unraid to 6.9.2 but this issue was occurring before that. I'm going to attach whatever makes sense for settings as screen caps. Please let me know if anything else would be useful. If you look at AsusSetup 1 and 2 you will see there are two different places to enter a DNS server. Should I only be using 1 or both? That may not be *the* problem but I am thinking it might be *a* problem. I tried to follow SpaceInvader1's video as closely as I could. Also if I go into pihole settings and "update gravity" it hangs for a while then comes back with "DNS resolution not available". No idea what broke or how to fix it. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

AsusSetupPage1.png

AsusSetupPage2.png

PiHoleCfg1.png

PiHoleCfg2.png

PiHoleSetupPage1.png

33 minutes ago, Hydranmenace said:

I go into pihole settings and "update gravity" it hangs for a while then comes back with "DNS resolution not available".

You need fix this, if pihole can't reach upper DNS, how could it serve other. Anything blocking pihole 192.168.1.2 reach internet ?

Edited by Vr2Io
11 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

You need fix this, if pihole can't reach upper DNS, how could it serve other. Anything blocking pihole 192.168.1.2 reach internet ?

I understand I need to fix this but I do not know how. That is why I posted all the screen caps. I don't pretend to know what I'm doing. I'm a regular guy who followed a youtube tutorial.

I noticed that in my router in DHCP settings my IP Pool Starting Address is 192.168.1.2 and that is the IP pihole is using. Would that be a conflict? I thought that just meant that is the number the router would use to start looking for things on the network. When I tried an IP range outside of that for pihole it gave me an error saying it was outside the range of my subnet. Whatever that means.

6 hours ago, Hydranmenace said:

Would that be a conflict?

When I tried an IP range outside of that for pihole it gave me an error saying it was outside the range of my subnet. Whatever that means.

The proper way was add pihole (192.168.1.2) in manual dhcp table, then router won't assign that IP to other.

But in general, those not a problem cause, even a router assign 192.168.1.2 to device, it will found this IP have a live device using it.

In your router LAN DHCP setting, you missing the default gateway , pls set it as router's IP.

I don't think problem cause by router setting, so suggest don't focus on router. Dose other docker reach Internet haven't problem ??

Edited by Vr2Io

I understand I need to fix this but I do not know how. That is why I posted all the screen caps. I don't pretend to know what I'm doing. I'm a regular guy who followed a youtube tutorial.

I noticed that in my router in DHCP settings my IP Pool Starting Address is 192.168.1.2 and that is the IP pihole is using. Would that be a conflict? I thought that just meant that is the number the router would use to start looking for things on the network. When I tried an IP range outside of that for pihole it gave me an error saying it was outside the range of my subnet. Whatever that means.

Hey man:

Regular joe here, so take the advice for what it is worth.

It sounds like your router is acting as DHCP server.  If your DHCP settings are starting at .2, my guess is that some other device on the network was assigned to .2 by the router.

Maybe try changing the start of the range to .3.  This will set aside .1 for router and an open IP (.2) for the Pihole. 

When you restart your router, devices that need an IP will be assigned starting at .3, and you clear the conflict at .2.

Make sense?  (I don't use the Pi-hole as a DHCP server - so your setup might be different.  Maybe start getting it running with the router as DHCP server, get it running and adjust from there)

On 8/11/2021 at 6:47 AM, newunraiduser5 said:

Thank you so much for this and I am sorry I missed it. Can I check where is the readme file?

I was just looking at the whitelist website - did it work for you?

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, Hydranmenace said:

Usually I set my DHCP range quite high up - maybe starting at 192.168.1.100 - so that nothing gets allocated in the ranges for my fixed IP. Some of the routers firmwares stop you allocating static addresses outside of this range.
So you can either, set the static address on the device itself (set to manual not dhcp on the device) and not worry about it on the router or have the large range on the router, set the pihole address and restart any device that may have claimed that IP address already.
Always set a DNS record manually (1.1.1.1 /8.8.8.8 or similar) for Unraid in the networking settings on unraid - dont let it use the DHCP dns as it will need DNS before the docker pihole as started (or if pihole is stopped)

Edited by spants
  • 1 month later...