Acer Aspire Revo XBMC HTPC

Rajahal

I just ordered an Acer Aspire Revo today, and I plan on turning it into an XBMC-based HTPC following this Lifehacker guide.  The guide claims that "XBMC works like a charm with Samba shares," so I don't expect to have any problems networking this puppy with my unRAID server (which holds all my media, of course).

Still, just curious, has anyone else done this?  Please share success stories, horror stories, pitfalls to avoid, etc.

Once I get the device and set it up, I'll post my results here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to go the Acer Revo route, but decided to get a plug-in-play WD TV Live. I just didn't want to deal with configuring another full fledged PC. Plus it was cheaper.

I'm sure you might have heard of all the problems with the firmware on the WD TV live. Its been making me think that I should have gone with the Revo+Boxee/XBMC. I'm happy with the WD TV Live. I wanted to be able to just plug it in and stream dvd's over Wi-Fi. The only issue I have is a little frame-rate studder, but its not a deal breaker. I'm running on the 1.0 firmware since the latest one has a terrible audio sync issue. I hope the next firmware fixes the minor issues.

I just ordered an Acer Aspire Revo today, and I plan on turning it into an XBMC-based HTPC following this Lifehacker guide.  The guide claims that "XBMC works like a charm with Samba shares," so I don't expect to have any problems networking this puppy with my unRAID server (which holds all my media, of course).

Still, just curious, has anyone else done this?  Please share success stories, horror stories, pitfalls to avoid, etc.

I have not gone the Acer Revo route but I do have a modded Xbox running XBMC and it works really well.  It is the main reason I am leaning towards a HTPC solution instead of something like the C-200 or the Dune Base, or the like.

Yes - but with an Asrock ION system. Same sort of thing - Nvidia ION chipset etc.

No problems. You've probably made a better choice as the revo should be quieter.

Lifehacker guide looks ok - similar sort of thing that I ended up doing. Looks it contains all the key things to look out for and is much nicer than piecing it together manually from the xbmc forums!

Bit of extra pain for you having to install via a thumbdrive (asrock has a dvd drive built in) but not a big deal really!

I just installed an ASROCK HT-330 last night.

It came in, I installed XBMC Live! onto the hard drive and 10 minutes later XBMC was running.

It was that simple.

Actually the Remote Control does not work straight out of the box.

I had to download a package and install it (which wasn't hard, but I've never used Debian before).

So an hour later it was up and running.

After that I had issues with the VGA port on my TV not supporting 1920x1080.

I switch to HDMI/DVI-D and it was done.

As far as noise, it's very low. I can hear the hard drive. I think it vibrates on the metal.

I am planning to swap out the 320GB hd for a 30GB SSD this eve.  Then it goes in my bedroom.

All in all I'm very happy with this box.

I'm so happy that I'm getting rid of my 400 Disc changer, 5 disc DVD changer, MG350, Rhapsody N-35, Popcorn hour.

Just don''t see the need for all of these anymore.

I looked at the Revo, but I wanted the ability to drop a CD/DVD in just in case.

I looked at the Revo, but I wanted the ability to drop a CD/DVD in just in case.

And that is the main reason why I have not already gotten the Revo.  I might just want to pop a DVD in (or BlueRay when slim ones are priced decently)

FWIW, the revo with XBMC installed cost about the same price as my popcorn hour B-110 ITX board.

Still a nice deal, I wasn't thrilled with the Revo's vertical setup.

What it does have going for it is the front accessible card reader and USB port.

This is my only beef so far on the ASrock HT-330.

Fortunately , my 24" bedroom monitor has USB ports and a card reader on the side.

I already own an external USB DVD drive, so I plan on using that to do the initial install of XBMC Live and avoid the headaches of using a thumb drive.  I also have an Xbox 360, so if I should ever need to play a DVD I'll just use that.  Since all my media is on my unRAID server, I don't expect to have any issue with the lack of a permanently installed optical drive.  Once BluRay starts coming down in price I may reconsider that...but by then I'm sure something better will come along anyway.

I've been running XBMC on my desktop/HTPC happily for a while now, and have had no problems (save for a bit of tearing in fast-action 720p movies).  This will be my first foray into XBMC Live.  I have a few questions off the bat:

1) I've read that XBMC Live doesn't recognize HDD partitions and must use the whole drive.  That's fine with me, since I don't plan on storing anything on the Revo's drive on a permanent basis, and I don't care about dual booting it.  However, it might be nice at some point to set up a DVD ripping plugin with XBMC (I'm assuming one exists, I haven't looked for it yet).  Will I be able to rip DVDs to a temporary storage folder on the Revo's HDD, or does XBMC take over the HDD to the point where it can't be used for anything else?

2) Will XBMC Live be able to recognize the Revo's SD card slot and display pictures from a digital camera?  I understand I may have to figure out a driver issue or two.

I followed the lifehacker guide (except using the latest version of xbmc which has the ion drivers built in, not the one they linked to) and it was extremely easy. Remote and everything worked out of the box and it plays all my 1080P content flawlessly (from unraid). I would recommend it to anyone.

;D That's what I wanted to hear, thanks!  I'm guessing the latest version of XBMC you refer to is readily available at the XBMC site?  I'll be sure to grab that.

My Revo is scheduled to arrive Monday, Jan. 11th.  Guess I know what I'll be doing next week!

I already own an external USB DVD drive, so I plan on using that to do the initial install of XBMC Live and avoid the headaches of using a thumb drive.  I also have an Xbox 360, so if I should ever need to play a DVD I'll just use that.  Since all my media is on my unRAID server, I don't expect to have any issue with the lack of a permanently installed optical drive.  Once BluRay starts coming down in price I may reconsider that...but by then I'm sure something better will come along anyway.

I've been running XBMC on my desktop/HTPC happily for a while now, and have had no problems (save for a bit of tearing in fast-action 720p movies).  This will be my first foray into XBMC Live.  I have a few questions off the bat:

1) I've read that XBMC Live doesn't recognize HDD partitions and must use the whole drive.  That's fine with me, since I don't plan on storing anything on the Revo's drive on a permanent basis, and I don't care about dual booting it.  However, it might be nice at some point to set up a DVD ripping plugin with XBMC (I'm assuming one exists, I haven't looked for it yet).  Will I be able to rip DVDs to a temporary storage folder on the Revo's HDD, or does XBMC take over the HDD to the point where it can't be used for anything else?

2) Will XBMC Live be able to recognize the Revo's SD card slot and display pictures from a digital camera?  I understand I may have to figure out a driver issue or two.

I can't answer you definitively but xbmc live is just an ubuntu installation with xbmc pre configured.

So you can apt-get install anything as you would with ubuntu and also just update the whole OS as you would a normal ubuntu box. All they've really done is do the work of setting up XBMC and things like the remote software and sound for you. It's perfectly feasible to install ubuntu from scratch and layer xbmc on top to end up with exactly the same system - but there's no real point when they have it so easily available in a canned setup for you.

So I suspect the answer to 1) is that you can rip to the local disk if you like.

2) if ubuntu / linux kernel supports it then I would imagine so. XBMC should just pick up all the drives / mount points the system knows about. I suspect you'll be fine on this as well.

Sweet, thanks boof.  Both of these potential issues are minor extras that 'would be nice,' but won't dissuade me from using the Revo as my full-time HTPC (assuming everything works as it should).  I'll still have a fully functional desktop computer which I can use for DVD ripping and displaying pictures on the TV if I wish.

I'm primarily undertaking this project so that I can separate my play computer (HTPC) and my work computer (desktop).

My turn to help :)

I have the Revo 3610 with Win7 and XBMC. You have to use an external player to watch HD content using GPU.

I am VERY satisfied with it.

Are you running XBMC on top of Win7, or are you dual booting between the two?  I would be surprised if the former works, I figured Win7 would introduce too much overhead and that the Revo wouldn't be able to handle HD content...

By 'an external player,' I'm guessing you mean MPC-HC or similar?

So do you have Win7 stripped down (Aero disabled, etc.) to squeeze every ounce of power out of the Revo?  Or is it stock Win7 with stock XBMC on top of it?  This approach definitely interests me because, like you, I would prefer avoiding using a Linux OS and I would also like to be able to alt-tab out of XBMC to bring up a quick youtube video or what-have-you.

My turn to help :)

I have the Revo 3610 with Win7 and XBMC. You have to use an external player to watch HD content using GPU.

I am VERY satisfied with it.

Are you running XBMC on top of Win7, or are you dual booting between the two?  I would be surprised if the former works, I figured Win7 would introduce too much overhead and that the Revo wouldn't be able to handle HD content...

By 'an external player,' I'm guessing you mean MPC-HC or similar?

Under windows 7 you need to use an external player that can take advantage of offloading video to the GPU - so yes something like MPC-HC.

However the latest release under windows has done a lot of work integrating with directx etc I think, so there may be changes there.

Under linux you can use VDPAU for GPU assisted rendering via Nvidia chipsets (as BRiT suggested) and can play back natively within XBMC.

Why is everybody saying to go the Linux way? The *only* pro imo is native support of GPU use. That's it.

Since this is a complete computer, I want to use other features than XBMC from time to time, such as MSN, Skype, etc...

I don't know Linux and I just DON'T want to go that way. I am very pleased with how XBMC works under Win7 and I really don't mind at all using an external player.

So to answer Rajahal's question, I have uninstalled all the preinstalled Acer crapware and disabled anything that could potentially slow down the machine.

Why is everybody saying to go the Linux way? The *only* pro imo is native support of GPU use. That's it.

I don't think everybody is saying go the linux way. They're presenting options and pro's / cons of doing both and discussing round the posters original intention of following the life hacker guide which uses the linux XBMC platform.

There has only been one 'Just install Linux' comment.

Another pro could be cost (no cost of windows licenses), another pro lack of layers of complexity (windows install, xbmc on top, graphics drivers, external player and config etc etc etc) and the fact the xbmc live cd is a pre-canned ready to go solution.

Since this is a complete computer, I want to use other features than XBMC from time to time, such as MSN, Skype, etc...

All of which you could also do with xbmc live. You would need to tinker the config to boot you into X windows 'normally' and then run XBMC but it's easily do-able and many people do this. That could also be a 'con' in many peoples book as it detracts from the kiosk / appliance nature of an HTPC.

I don't know Linux and I just DON'T want to go that way. I am very pleased with how XBMC works under Win7 and I really don't mind at all using an external player.

So to answer Rajahal's question, I have uninstalled all the preinstalled Acer crapware and disabled anything that could potentially slow down the machine.

Yep it would work well. Once the video is offloaded to the GPU there not much you could do to cripple playback.

The advantages of the live cd are you can literally run it from CD and you're off as opposed to the (minor, but existant) curve of having to install windows and layer things on top yourself. It's a shame there's not also a windows live CD ready to go but that's clearly not going to happen.

I used to run mediaportal + vista + coreavc but switched to XBMC live purely to treat it as more of an HTPC 'appliance' rather than endlessly tinkering with drivers / worrying about what windows update would do to the setup. Now I have just the XBMC package to update to keep abreast of new features etc.

Before I would have to potentially update windows, graphics drivers, mediaportal, codecs, mediaportal plugins. It becomes a lot to juggle. Very easy to get a point in time snapshot of the system working fine - but keeping up to date with new features or being forced to upgrade certain components due to dependencies of others all had a waterfall effect over time.

I suspect most people are relatively agnostic over windows / linux but the fact is there is a precanned linux solution literally 2 minutes away from being fully up and running which is a huge attraction.

However there have been big moves with the latest XBMC release with regards to moving to directx away from opengl under windows. I'm not sure if this lets them leverage dxva natively without the use of an external player? Definitely worth looking into. Windows 7 will also be a lot more streamlined and quick to boot etc than vista which is also a bonus. Remote support under windows has always been better - especially when using the microsoft MCE receiver.

Of course one of the big benefits of windows is also having windows media centre to fall back on - which is ever evolving into a very nice piece of software especially if you want to use a tv tuner(s) in your HTPC. At this point Linux and XBMC can't quite keep up!

Thanks for the debate, I'm keenly observing everything.  My Revo is scheduled to arrive today (whoo!!), so I'll likely get started on this project tonight.  I believe I'm going to attack it like this:

0) Boot into WinXP and lol at all the bloatware ;)

1) Install XBMC Live (thus wiping WinXP and all the bloatware)

2) Set up networking with the unRAID server

3) Use XBMC Live for a week or two and see how I like it

4) If I decide I want more, then install Win7 with XBMC on top and MPC-HC as an external player (as joebanana has done)

5) If I still don't like that for some reason, install Linux (ubuntu?) with XBMC on top.

I will still have a full desktop and laptop outside of this HTPC, so any heavy computing I need to do can be done on those.  The few things I can think of that 'would be nice' to run on the Revo HTPC are (in order of priority):

1) Online streaming videos (youtube, etc.)

2) A one-click DVD ripping app using my external USB DVD drive (DVDShrink or similar)

3) One-click DVD to x264 encoding (Handbrake or similar)

4) #'s 2 and 3 rolled into a single one-click app (with option of full DVD dump or encode)

Pretty much everything else I do (read forums, gmail, Skype, audio editing, burn CDs/DVDs, play the occasional game, etc.) I would rather do on either my laptop or desktop.  So basically, I want an 'appliance' approach to the HTPC, but I would like a few add-ons or plug-ins that (as far as I know) XBMC currently does not have.  So perhaps I just need to hop on the XBMC forums and get a bit active there, and maybe make a few requests :)

Anyway, thank you all for your advice and discussion throughout this thread.  I'll let you know tomorrow how my initial XBMC Live install goes and about my first impressions of the Revo as an HTPC.

Thanks for the debate, I'm keenly observing everything.  My Revo is scheduled to arrive today (whoo!!), so I'll likely get started on this project tonight.  I believe I'm going to attack it like this:

0) Boot into WinXP and lol at all the bloatware ;)

1) Install XBMC Live (thus wiping WinXP and all the bloatware)

2) Set up networking with the unRAID server

3) Use XBMC Live for a week or two and see how I like it

4) If I decide I want more, then install Win7 with XBMC on top and MPC-HC as an external player (as joebanana has done)

5) If I still don't like that for some reason, install Linux (ubuntu?) with XBMC on top.

I will still have a full desktop and laptop outside of this HTPC, so any heavy computing I need to do can be done on those.  The few things I can think of that 'would be nice' to run on the Revo HTPC are (in order of priority):

1) Online streaming videos (youtube, etc.)

2) A one-click DVD ripping app using my external USB DVD drive (DVDShrink or similar)

3) One-click DVD to x264 encoding (Handbrake or similar)

4) #'s 2 and 3 rolled into a single one-click app (with option of full DVD dump or encode)

Pretty much everything else I do (read forums, gmail, Skype, audio editing, burn CDs/DVDs, play the occasional game, etc.) I would rather do on either my laptop or desktop.  So basically, I want an 'appliance' approach to the HTPC, but I would like a few add-ons or plug-ins that (as far as I know) XBMC currently does not have.  So perhaps I just need to hop on the XBMC forums and get a bit active there, and maybe make a few requests :)

Anyway, thank you all for your advice and discussion throughout this thread.  I'll let you know tomorrow how my initial XBMC Live install goes and about my first impressions of the Revo as an HTPC.

Good luck! You'll be happy whichever way you choose I think. End result will be the same!

Worth bearing in mind you can run xbmc live direct from the CD so you can avoid zapping your hard disk straight away if you so choose. You won't have a persistent library without some tinkering though.

Worth bearing in mind you can run xbmc live direct from the CD so you can avoid zapping your hard disk straight away if you so choose. You won't have a persistent library without some tinkering though.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't see any point in doing that.  Even if I do decide to go with a full OS in the future, it will be either Win7 or some version of Linux, there's no way I'm keeping WinXP on there.

My only worry at this point is running into this problem.