£400 for a 10TB drive, which is newly released and first generation Helium for Seagate.

£238 for a 8TB drive (Archive v2), which work great in UnRAID and are pretty damned quiet and reliable.

With my recent experience of Helium drives from WD, I think they're not really ready for primetime.  I bought one 8TB WD Red, it was totally dead (severe head crash), the replacement worked but vibrated badly.  Sold it.  Bought another, it also vibrated badly.  Sold it. 

Got a great deal on a 8TB MyBook which has a WD80EZZX, and it runs great, no vibration, no noise.  Got another MyBook and stripped the drive out of it.  Another perfectly running WD80EZZX. 

Got a great deal on a 8TB MyBook which has a WD80EZZX, and it runs great, no vibration, no noise.  Got another MyBook and stripped the drive out of it.  Another perfectly running WD80EZZX.

Do you void the warranty on the drive, when you take it out of the MyBook?

Absolutely. The warranty is voided on all externals when you remove the drive from the enclosure.

Do you void the warranty on the drive, when you take it out of the MyBook?

Yes, but they're cheap enough to take the risk.  I ran the drive for a few days before ripping it apart, just to make sure it was OK.  I just used WD's extended test facility in their Windows utility that's included on the drive.

Almost every drive I've had that's failed has either died in the first few days, or failed well out of warranty, so I'm happy to accept the risk.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, dchamb said:

I just popped a WD Gold 10TB drive in my unRaid system. Going through preclear now. All my other drives are WD and have had great luck with them. Plus I've read that the Seagate 10TB drive is noisy. I figure you can't go wrong with 7200 RPM and 256MB cache.

Curious about its sequential speed, If you can run the test below and post the graph:

3 hours ago, dchamb said:

Faster than a 6TB 7200rpm WD Red Pro!

Of course.   Same RPM, higher areal density (1.5TB/platter vs. 1.2TB for the 6TB drives)

Another nice improvement is the lower power consumption and subsequently cooler temps that the helium-filled design provides.

22 hours ago, garycase said:

Of course.   Same RPM, higher areal density (1.5TB/platter vs. 1.2TB for the 6TB drives)

Another nice improvement is the lower power consumption and subsequently cooler temps that the helium-filled design provides.

Big difference in cooling. My WD Red Pro 6TB runs between 45-50 C and the Gold is at least 10 C under that.

1 hour ago, dchamb said:

Big difference in cooling. My WD Red Pro 6TB runs between 45-50 C and the Gold is at least 10 C under that.

Not surprising => as I noted above, they've significantly reduced the power consumption ... and power draw directly correlates to heat.   The helium-filled design also helps.   In fact, ALL of WD's new data-center oriented drives are going to be helium filled in the future.

£400 for a 10TB drive, which is newly released and first generation Helium for Seagate.

£238 for a 8TB drive (Archive v2), which work great in UnRAID and are pretty damned quiet and reliable.

With my recent experience of Helium drives from WD, I think they're not really ready for primetime.  I bought one 8TB WD Red, it was totally dead (severe head crash), the replacement worked but vibrated badly.  Sold it.  Bought another, it also vibrated badly.  Sold it. 

I also just sent back a bunch of 8TB drives for the same vibration issues. And like you I just liberated a WD80EZZX. More vibration than my 2/4TB drives but way less than the Reds I sent back. I wasn't careful when I shucked it so it's a keeper now even with the slight vibration. To me, it's as if WD is sending out horribly unbalanced 8TB drives. I don't care how many platters they have, the vibration you and I both encountered shouldn't have ever left the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really need to stop looking at hard drive temps in my chassis. My helium filled drives run 4-5C warmer than my 2TB and 4TB Reds but have never seen them get warmer than 32C after streaming for hours. They were under 30C but I swapped my fans in my 2U chassis for Arctic 80mm fans. They barely blow enough air to get out of their own way co pared to the San Ace stock fans but my Fractal R4 is now louder than my server so I can live with that :)

On 02/04/2017 at 9:40 PM, CyberSkulls said:

I also just sent back a bunch of 8TB drives for the same vibration issues. And like you I just liberated a WD80EZZX. More vibration than my 2/4TB drives but way less than the Reds I sent back. I wasn't careful when I shucked it so it's a keeper now even with the slight vibration. To me, it's as if WD is sending out horribly unbalanced 8TB drives. I don't care how many platters they have, the vibration you and I both encountered shouldn't have ever left the factory.

Mrs HellDiverUK has been complaining recently about the humming coming from the computer room.  The EZZX drives 6 months later seem to be making more vibration than they did when new.  Our house is a 2-storey wooden frame house, so a humming drive in one room resonates right through the floors and is audible everywhere in the house.

I've had to pull all the WD drives and replace them with Seagates.  Even the Seagate NAS drive, which is a big heavy 7200rpm unit is quieter than any of the WD drives.  The Archive units are basically silent.

Edited by HellDiverUK
Mrs HellDiverUK has been complaining recently about the humming coming from the computer room.  The EZZX drives 6 months later seem to be making more vibration than they did when new.  Our house is a 2-storey wooden frame house, so a humming drive in one room resonates right through the floors and is audible everywhere in the house.

I've had to pull all the WD drives and replace them with Seagates.  Even the Seagate NAS drive, which is a big heavy 7200rpm unit is quieter than any of the WD drives.  The Archive units are basically silent.

My 2TB Reds and even my Blues are basically dead silent. I have a couple 4TB Blues that make a little noise while seeking but zero vibration. Even putting your hand on any of them you question if they are powered on or not. So I'm thinking with the vibration/quality issues WD has with their entire line of 8TB drives, I'll probably try some of the 8TB/10TB Seagate drives.

5 hours ago, CyberSkulls said:

My 2TB Reds and even my Blues are basically dead silent. I have a couple 4TB Blues that make a little noise while seeking but zero vibration. Even putting your hand on any of them you question if they are powered on or not. So I'm thinking with the vibration/quality issues WD has with their entire line of 8TB drives, I'll probably try some of the 8TB/10TB Seagate drives.

Agreed, WD always were silent, the 3TB and 5TB Reds are totally silent and undetectable vibration.  These 8TB drives are a different kettle of fish.  

However, I have a pair of 1TB Blacks and they're very bad for vibration, and they were from totally different batches (one's about a year older than the other).