Windows 10 Upgrade on KVM - Licensing?

Win 10 won't accept all valid win 7 keys.  EG: It will not accept mine (100% legit) Win 7 Ultimate Key (nor according to the link will it accept Win 7 Enterprise (and since Ultimate is a superset of Enterprise, that's why it won't accept mine)

It won't work with an Enterprise key; but it absolutely WILL work with an Ultimate key => I've done this with Ultimate, Pro, and Home Premium Windows 7 keys with no problem.

It will NOT work with a key that's already been used to install Windows 7, however ... perhaps that's why you've had issues.

REMEMBER, however, that this is only true through the 29th (this Friday).

I want to convert my license from windows 7 to windows 10 before tomorrow's deadline.  My plan is to type in the product key from my current windows 7 vm into a brand new clean install of windows 10.  So I know you have 30 days to revert...but my question is what will happen to my existing windows 7 VM.  Will I be able to boot it up?  The reason I am asking is that it makes a difference in how I go about backing up anything critical in this windows 7 VM.

Thanks,

Dan

I want to convert my license from windows 7 to windows 10 before tomorrow's deadline.  My plan is to type in the product key from my current windows 7 vm into a brand new clean install of windows 10.  So I know you have 30 days to revert...but my question is what will happen to my existing windows 7 VM.  Will I be able to boot it up?  The reason I am asking is that it makes a difference in how I go about backing up anything critical in this windows 7 VM.

Thanks,

Dan

If you UPGRADE your current VM to '10, that will work fine -- and you'll then be able to do a clean install using the same VM if you want to.    But if you try a clean install on another VM with the same key it MAY not work -- not sure how the activation servers check; but I do know they'll refuse to allow a key that's already in use ... so it may not activate correctly with that key.

One approach you could take is to make a complete backup copy of your VM;  then do an update of the VM to '10.    You'd then have both '7 and '10 installed in the same VM => indeed if you renamed one of them they'd probably both work just fine at the same time (but that would be a licensing violation).

Thanks,

Dan

If you UPGRADE your current VM to '10, that will work fine -- and you'll then be able to do a clean install using the same VM if you want to.    But if you try a clean install on another VM with the same key it MAY not work -- not sure how the activation servers check; but I do know they'll refuse to allow a key that's already in use ... so it may not activate correctly with that key.

One approach you could take is to make a complete backup copy of your VM;  then do an update of the VM to '10.    You'd then have both '7 and '10 installed in the same VM => indeed if you renamed one of them they'd probably both work just fine at the same time (but that would be a licensing violation).

yes it should work. But you couldnt have the vms at the same time renamed. This is because the activation seems to be tied to the uuid.

You cant have 2 vms in unraid with the same uuid number.

What you would have to do is to disconnect the windows 10 vm image as primary disk, and swap it to the win7 image as primary disk, this way the uuid wouldnt change.

It is always a good practice to make note of your uuid for each vm that needs any activation basically all Micro$oft os

• 6 years later...
On 7/22/2016 at 7:28 PM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Yes it is the uuid, im sure. But the same uuid cant already be defined on unraid.

So you could not just copy the vdisk and use if for a few vms on the same server.

Would work though if you had one on one server and another on another. But that would be naughty and microsoft would hate you lol !!!

How about if you copied and renamed the activated uuid to a non activated uuid name?  I'm not sure what data the uuid contains but I'm sure Ed (and others) will know.