Awesome ECO skylake board found! Thoughts?

While surfing on an obscure german lowpower-computing forum i found what i believe might be a great unraid board.

gerade gefunden das Fuji Board sieht auch gut aus

Leerlauf (mit C-States)

Asus Z170-A ----------------------23 (20) Watt

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 --------17 (17) Watt

Asrock Z170M Pro4S -------------15 (15) Watt

MSI Z170A PC Mate --------------24 (13) Watt

Asrock H170M Pro4 --------------18 (18) Watt

Asus B150M-C D3 ----------------23 (16) Watt

Fujitsu D3402-B -----------------9,7 (9,7) Watt

System: Enermax Triathlor ETL300AWT, Core i5-6600K, 2 x 4 GByte RAM, SSD, USB-Tastatur/Maus, HDMI-Display Full HD

Quelle: c’t 2015, Heft 22

I'm talking about that Fujitsu board. 9,7watt idle power usage, seems like amazing compared to the other ones.

I looked it up and it seems to be an industrial skylake board designed to be low power friendly.

5x Sata ports (could be better but still)

1x M2 slot for cache drive

1x 16x Pci-express

1x 4x Pci-express

2x 1x Pci-express

1x internal USB port (great!)

Have i mentioned only 9,7Watt idle usage with i5-6600k?!

Price : 120€

PDF datasheet: https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/DS-D3402-B.pdf

Motherboard layout picture: FUJITSU_D3402-B_01.png

New energy-efficient extended lifecycle boards from Fujitsu

News Published: 14 March 2016 - 19:34 - Amy Wallington

For semi-industrial use, Fujitsu provides the new mainboards D3402-B and D3417-B of the extended lifecycle series. They support the new, sixth generation Intel Core processors and allow the use of DDR4 memory, that is characterised by a significant increase in performance. Both models are available at distributor Rutronik.

The 100er series of Intel chipsets enables the use of more powerful CPUs with a simultaneous reduction of power consumption. The boards D3402-B and D3417-B are designed for continuous use on a 24/7-operation and suitable for an ambient temperature of up to +50 degrees Celsius. The design is consistently created for stability and power efficiency as the boards are characterised by a smaller, but high quality components mounting density. Thereby, the power consumption is lowered, the installed components are less exposed to thermal stress and the life cycle is extended. Both mainboards support three digital video outputs, with two display ports of the version 1.2 allowing a 4K resolution at 60Hz. Another feature is the provision of a M.2 port, making it possible to omit a 2,5’-slot and the additional wiring for power supply and data lines.

The D3402-B with the Intel Q170 chipset provides enhanced manageability with Intel Active Management (iAMT) and vPro. It supports up to 64GB memory and has a multi-level watchdog function. The D3417-B with the Intel C236 chipset allows the use of powerful XEON CPUs, which furthermore allow ECC (error correction code). Due to the increased number of SATA ports and XEON support, the Fujitsu D3417-B can be considered as an alternative to workstations or entry-level server.

Both models belong to the same layout family and have an extended assured availability of three years. As the boards are part of the extended lifecycle series, customers benefit from a strict lifecycle and revision management. The product safety is ensured by the CSA certification according to the standard 60 950. Thanks to this and the 24/7-operation, the continuous use, for example in high-availability application scenarios like emergency rooms and surgical areas, is allowed. Through its integration and expansion capabilities, for example by frame grabber or video cards, the models are suitable for imaging and visualisation, necessary for 3D representations of data from different imaging methods such as CT, MIR and X-ray.

sheet.jpg.2fed6b1402267a2b1001bce22b462c7a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks pretty similar to the Haswell board in my Fujitsu server (TX1310M1).  It idles at 8W with an E3-1226v3 and two 8GB ECC DIMMs. 

Fujitsu boards are available in Europe, but they are difficult to get.  Even here in the UK there's maybe only one or two companies that sell them, and even then availability is low.

• 5 months later...

C-states is set to Auto by default. Changing the value to C7/C7s - no change, still idling around 20W at Windows 10 (on unRaid is about 5-7W more). I give a try to Seasonic SSP- 350 GT (80 Plus Gold PSU - better spec than Enermax used in test) instead of OEM Dell PSU and I`ll post results.

I`m still happy with this results, previous urRaid server based on Xeon L5630 pulls around 100W.

Thanks nukhem...

I alrady do a research with two different PSU and YES, it really depend on PSU.

System spec: i3-6100T, 8GB DDR4 single stick, GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G, Samsung 950Pro m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD

Dell 245W OEM - 20W IGD - 25W GTX

Seasonic 360W 80+ Gold - 15W IGD - 20W with GTX

Notebook type 120W external PSU with power distribution board from Chenbro ES34069 (similiar to picoPSU) - 11W IGD, 16W GTX

Unraid generally pull a few watts more. Even under full load (3DMark benchmark), whole system didnt exceed 100W - thats really impressive, my previous PC (i7-3820) pulls 100W on idle.