"Spikey" transfer Performance...

Can anyone explain to me why Unraid is doing this? I'm in version 6.1.9

I'm doing a copy and paste of a drive that is going to be removed. This disk is not part of any share. It is called Disk9. I'm copying all the info into a user share though.

Also, it nearly consumes my entire RAM with cached info when it is not even doing anything.

2016-07-24%2021_07_21-NetStore_Stats_zpsvrh2sac9.png

Can anyone explain to me why Unraid is doing this? I'm in version 6.1.9

I'm doing a copy and paste of a drive that is going to be removed. This disk is not part of any share. It is called Disk9. I'm copying all the info into a user share though.

Also, it nearly consumes my entire RAM with cached info when it is not even doing anything.

Not clear there is anything wrong except perhaps for what you are doing. Is disk9 specifically excluded from Global Share Settings? It isn't recommended to mix disks and user shares when moving or copying files.

User Share Copy Bug

Linux OS's always cache all the ram (in fact, windows10 does as well now). Its the way they work. Thats normal.

Not sure why your transfer looks all spikey though, are there lots of large (or small) files and maybe its just the slowdown as it changes to the next file/etc.

I also don't think you should be doing it way you describe either, and are you moving it via another machine? Could be that machine/laptop/etc causing the spikes?

Disk 9 was excluded from all user shares. It was a SSD that I desperately needed to repurpose into something else. I would of just ran and got a SSD from Best Buy or something but for some odd reason, they were cleaned out of all SSD's except for the 1TB(ish) ones.

I was doing the transfer via CIFS and I know this practically cuts the available bandwidth in half. I'm not using Jumbo Frames or anything fancy.

And it was a single large file. It was a vDisk for a VM that needed to be moved off. Yes, the VM was powered off. Also, it was a Copy and Paste, not a cut and paste.

I eventually stopped it and ran Dolphin and copied the file that way. Then it went as fast as the hard drive could write.

FYI - I have acquired a new SSD and dropped it in. It is running as a cache device formatted with BTRFS. The rest of the drives are running XFS which I'm in the process of changing to BTRFS... One by One... :P And transfers and now speedy via CIFS.