[SOLVED] Cannot use nano or vi via putty ssh/telnet

Hello guys, I'm currently in my month of trial and have just finished the first parity sync and started bringing up some docker apps. At some point I wanted to edit directly some config files, and I thought to go and edit directly via the shared "appdata" folder in SMB, no luck, files there cannot be read.

Second stop was logging in via ssh to edit them, but to my surprise I couldn't use either nano or vi, the first reporting a "Error opening terminal: putty." and vi starting but having big issues.

I thought at first I had somehow created a putty session with some wrong configurations, but I tried cloning another working session and while every other machine works, on unRAID I just cannot edit files via ssh (or telnet).

Since I haven't been able to find anything on the forums about this, I'm forced to create a new thread, I've never had anything like this happen to me and cannot find a way to fix it.

root@Tower:~# echo $TERM
putty
root@Tower:~# echo $SHELL
/bin/bash
root@Tower:~# nano dead.letter
Error opening terminal: putty.
root@Tower:~# vi dead.letter
skipping 1 old session file
reading dead.letter
Read dead.letter, 21 lines, 312 chars

** nothing shows unless I scroll down by pressing enter until the EOF **

Any ideas?

Cheers

I didn't, the only other time I dropped down to the shell before was to partition and format the cache ssd with btrfs. I currently have an ubuntu 16.04 LTS server installed, and my TERM is putty there too.

Also:

1) I had a login where everything was working, but I exited before thinking about looking at the TERM var

2) Using putty Release 0.67

I didn't, the only other time I dropped down to the shell before was to partition and format the cache ssd with btrfs. I currently have an ubuntu 16.04 LTS server installed, and my TERM is putty there too.

Also:

1) I had a login where everything was working, but I exited before thinking about looking at the TERM var

2) Using putty Release 0.67

I see. It depends on what you connect with.

When you open putty, go to connection --> Data on the left side and change from putty to xterm in Terminal-type string field and try again.