Windows 10 Anniversary Edition VM Issues

Did you try the update with only core 0 assigned to the VM?

Nope, I am trying without GPU passthrough first since both the VMs I tried had card assigned. I will try that next.

OK, I got passed the BSOD. Seems that assigning only 1 core (CPU 0) fixes that. Here's hoping that it boots when I put all my cores back! Any ideas why this is happening?

Nope, I am trying without GPU passthrough first since both the VMs I tried had card assigned. I will try that next.

OK, I got passed the BSOD. Seems that assigning only 1 core (CPU 0) fixes that. Here's hoping that it boots when I put all my cores back! Any ideas why this is happening?

Can confirm, update to anniversary edition with 6(12)cores and bluescreen, after changing to 1 core (doesent have to be core 0) the installation was succesful.

I was having the same issue trying to update my windows 10 vm. I was thinking of starting over fresh using the windows 10 Anniversary Edition ISO to install a fresh VM.  What process do you use to make sure your activation stays?  I had originally used a windows 7 key to install a fresh copy and don't want to lose the activation.

Thanks,

I was having the same issue trying to update my windows 10 vm. I was thinking of starting over fresh using the windows 10 Anniversary Edition ISO to install a fresh VM.  What process do you use to make sure your activation stays?  I had originally used a windows 7 key to install a fresh copy and don't want to lose the activation.

Thanks,

Funny thing is: with the anniversary update your license would be bound to your Microsoft Account, and you wouldn't need to do much to reactivate your copy, beside logging in with your MSA and do the equivalent of the old phone reactivation. That is, if you have a retail copy, since OEM copies go in the trash if a massive hardware change is detected.

So if you have retail, go with whatever makes the update work first so it can bind your license to the MSA, then you can start fresh.

Can confirm, update to anniversary edition with 6(12)cores and bluescreen, after changing to 1 core (doesent have to be core 0) the installation was succesful.

Oh shucks, after attempting to update a bunch of times unsuccessfully, now I no longer get the option to update lol. It says it's all up to date but no anniversary update.

Oh shucks, after attempting to update a bunch of times unsuccessfully, now I no longer get the option to update lol. It says it's all up to date but no anniversary update.

My update just failed also. I have resorted to using the ISO or the Media creation tool.

I am on 6.19 and have been running a windows 10 vm without issues for months. Today I did a windows update and it downloaded and installed the anniversary edition update, got to 100%, rebooted and came up with this error

System thread exception not handled.

It then rebooted and reverted to the previous build.

I think there must be something about this update that disagrees with UnRaid.

All major updates have required a single core to be assigned to the VM to be successful (yes I'm sure some have done it with multiple, not looking for debating this), this was most noticeable on an upgrade from 7/8/8.1 to 10. Core 0 is recommended, however I suppose any 1 core should be fine.

Why this is the case, IDK, but folklore dictates this is how it is for now.  ;)

As for activation, as long as you keep the UUID from the VM XML the same, and do not change the machine type from one to the other (i440-fx to Q35 or vice versa) you should come up activated without needing intervention. The machine type change is up for debate (in regards to activation), however I can't see the benefit to changing it anyhow unless you have some odd results (as i440FX is the recommended and you shouldn't normally need to change it).

Alright, I switched to single core (thread) and did the update. It's all good.

Then I assigned the 6 cores back. But for some reason, it is still only using the single core that was assigned during the update. Really confused. Anyone else experiencing that? Tried restarting the VM Manager service but still the same. Unraid gui shows 6 cores assigned. Windows only reports single core. Unraid dashboard also shows that only one core is being utilized (spikes).

Then I assigned the 6 cores back. But for some reason, it is still only using the single core that was assigned during the update. Really confused. Anyone else experiencing that? Tried restarting the VM Manager service but still the same. Unraid gui shows 6 cores assigned. Windows only reports single core. Unraid dashboard also shows that only one core is being utilized (spikes).

Do you have all six cores in the XML?

There is three places to check. The first one is on the vcpu placement line, then below the vcpupin and then the last is the topology line a little further down.

Do you have all six cores in the XML?

There is three places to check. The first one is on the vcpu placement line, then below the vcpupin and then the last is the topology line a little further down.

Yup

Vcpu placement line shows 6

Vcpupin lines list all 6 threads/cores

topology shows 3 cores 2 threads

I had originally assigned cpus 3,6,7,11,14,15.

During update, I assigned only cpu 3.

After I update, when I assigned the original 6 again, it was only using cpu 3.

Update:

Only when I took cpu 3 out of the equation and assigned 2,6,7,10,14,15 it started utilizing all 6 again. Perhaps a kvm related bug? Not sure.

Now it seems to be working fine

• 2 weeks later...

I will be sticking to my normal windows 10 vm and not upgrading yet. Unless there is a way to remove cortana after the new update. I have heard it is impossible to turn off cortana  ( http://www.computerworld.com/article/3106863/microsoft-windows/cortana-the-spy-in-windows-10.html) with sp1

I removed it totally (http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/) as well as all the microsoft apps when i originally installed my orginal 10. I only use my win 10 for gaming and dont want all the bloat and privacy concerns that normally come with 10 if cortana cant be removed in the new update.

I will be sticking to my normal windows 10 vm and not upgrading yet. Unless there is a way to remove cortana after the new update. I have heard it is impossible to turn off cortana  ( http://www.computerworld.com/article/3106863/microsoft-windows/cortana-the-spy-in-windows-10.html) with sp1

I removed it totally (http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/) as well as all the microsoft apps when i originally installed my orginal 10. I only use my win 10 for gaming and dont want all the bloat and privacy concerns that normally come with 10 if cortana cant be removed in the new update.

How come no one is trying to remove siri from iPhones or Google now from Android but people are treating cortana like she's the plague? I don't get it

How come no one is trying to remove siri from iPhones or Google now from Android but people are treating cortana like she's the plague? I don't get it

Not everyone that uses windows uses smartphones. Plus, it's not an all or nothing problem, it's possible to accept the fact that your smartphone is spying on you, but still want to keep your PC as spyware free as possible. Different tools for different tasks, different tasks require different security.

Personally, I'm typing this on my daily driver linux box.

• 2 months later...

If you use only one core will that help? For me it was OK when using the upgrade tool.

This saved my sanity, id trying all sorts of tweaks but nothing fixed it until I did the above. Seriously think this should be stickied.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk