Windows Licensing Issue - Need help to install XP or Vista VM to Upgrade

I need some help configuring my Windows 8.1 VM (note: I can't use Windows 10 because of a bug with a program that I use).  I only have an upgrade license for both Win7 and Win8 so I can't use it on a clean install.  I tried installing XP but couldn't figure out how to create the disk partition due to how my iso image loaded?!  Then I found my Vista license and tried to use it.  The problem is I can't get passed a BSOD when I try to install the network controller driver.  First I tried the latest virtio-win-0.1.118 iso but that didn't work.  Then, I downgraded to virtio-win-0.1.102 and had the same problem.  Now I can't even boot the VM because of physical memory dumps.

Two of the three drivers appear to install correctly.  Ethernet Controller is the one that doesn't install correctly but I can't replace it with anything because Windows keeps saying I have the best driver already?!  I'd forgotten what a fiasco this whole MS licensing was since I stopped upgrading at Win7 Pro (even though I bought a Win8 license).

EDIT:  So I rolled back the virtio drivers to 0.1.100 because of another post I read on Windows VM's and then I installed the drivers 1 at a time (restarting after each one).  This time, Ethernet Controller still didn't install correctly but didn't cause a BSOD.  The second PCI Device did though as well as the 3rd device (PCI Simple Communications Controller).

Attached is a pic of the 3 drivers.  Top one doesn't install correctly and middle and last one both cause the BSOD.  Also, I was using only one core but not Core0 (I changed this and same result).

Which series of drivers should I be using for Windows Vista??  XP or Win7 or one of the server sets (e.g. 2k3, 2k8 etc)?

drivers.JPG.bd8e23ab8395202f10ed299b12390b4c.JPG