GUI and Apps very slow and laggy

Seemed to start a few weeks ago, maybe longer. Never had any problems before that but now everything is very slow and laggy. Any ideas?

ver. 6.1.9

M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - H87I-PLUS

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

HVM: Disabled

IOMMU: Disabled

Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB

Memory: 16384 MB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)

Seemed to start a few weeks ago, maybe longer. Never had any problems before that but now everything is very slow and laggy. Any ideas?

ver. 6.1.9

M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - H87I-PLUS

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

HVM: Disabled

IOMMU: Disabled

Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB

Memory: 16384 MB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)

I'm afraid what you have listed is not much to go on. Can you please post your diagnostics file? The link in my sig shows details of how to do this.

In addition it would be helpful if you could list the VM's, Dockers and Plugins that you are running along with a view of anything that you know that has changed in your setup and or configuration over the period you have noticed the change in performance.

Yea I didn't know how to post the diagnostics file, thanks for the link.

no VM

Docker: Couch Potatoe, Crashplan, Plex, Sickbeard, Sabnzbd

Plugins: Dynamix WebGUI, Community Applications

Memory usage is about 18% right now but it says allocated is almost the full amount. Is that normal?

allocated 15,925 MB

installed 16,384 MB

It may have gotten very slow when I upgraded to the latest version of unRAID...

tower-diagnostics-20160809-2347.zip

Diagnostics might be a good idea.

I uploaded above, was that not correct?

It's early in the UK - Niel probably missed them  ;)

I have had a look and I have to admit I can't see much wrong. I've done as good of a review of your diagnostic as 15 mins will allow me. Disks are fine. System seems fine.

I did notice two things though:

1. Your system is logging an attempt to remove directories quite regularly. It is failing because they are not empty. I am not sure what is doing this - whether it is being driven by you or by something else - perhaps automated!? Not sure if this would cause the behaviour you are describing either.

Note: I removed folder names below for your privacy.

Aug  4 02:29:52 Tower shfs/user: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/cache/appdata/Downloads/complete/TV/Folder Name (39) Directory not empty

2. Your ifconfig file is showing that eth0 is experiencing dropped packets. Network issues can certainly contribute to the perception that unRAID is being sluggish as this can impact the loading of the GUI / automated jobs etc.

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.109  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.0.255
        ether e0:3f:49:6f:29:77  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 150909591  bytes 157964375751 (147.1 GiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 79591  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 236073744  bytes 281412679081 (262.0 GiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
        device interrupt 20  memory 0xf7d00000-f7d20000

I would also ask if your upgrade was from v5?. I have noticed that people have experienced issues when doing an upgrade from v5. Sometimes these can be resolved by doing a clean install of v6.

In all honesty these issues can be hard to debug but I'm happy (as I'm sure are others) to help you sort them. It is however going to rely on you doing some exploring and debugging too.

I would suggest investigating the two points above first. If all fails you could try a fresh v6 rebuild (assuming it was v5 you upgraded from).

Sorry I'm not being more help.

Diagnostics might be a good idea.

I uploaded above, was that not correct?

I would also ask if your upgrade was from v5?. I have noticed that people have experienced issues when doing an upgrade from v5. Sometimes these can be resolved by doing a clean install of v6.

In all honesty these issues can be hard to debug but I'm happy (as I'm sure are others) to help you sort them. It is however going to rely on you doing some exploring and debugging too.

I would suggest investigating the two points above first. If all fails you could try a fresh v6 rebuild (assuming it was v5 you upgraded from).

Sorry I'm not being more help.

Thanks for looking at it for me. I understand I'm not giving you much to go off of, I have basically set this and forget it so I don't really know how to do any of this stuff.

1. Not sure why it's trying to remove directories. I'll just delete the TV folder and see if that fixes it and just rebuild that folder. It's just a holding place for SAB before sickbeard moves the files.

2. I did upgrade from v5. Not from this last update but the one before. I was scared about upgrading so payed for Limetech to walk me through it. So he checked all my settings out to make sure it was setup right and I know everything was installed right.

After deleting that folder it seems to have sped things up a bit. SAB still seems slower than normal though. If this sticks I can deal with a slower SAB.

spoke to soon... it started up again tonight. The TV folder is back do you think that can be the cause? Should I tell SAB to make a new folder with a diff name that might help? Does SAB need to be reinstalled?

So 1 folder was in there and when I removed it it's going faster again. This is pretty frustrating...

• 5 months later...

I am experiencing the same thing, just upgraded from 6rc to 6.2.4, added a few dockers, upgraded from a dual-core Pentium to a quad-core i5, and now the entire GUI crawls.  Clicking on each tab (Dashboard, Main, etc) requires 10-15 seconds to process, and then many pages only load halfway, and then finish loading after another 10-15 seconds.

All the while sysload is under 0.5

I am experiencing the same thing, just upgraded from 6rc to 6.2.4, added a few dockers, upgraded from a dual-core Pentium to a quad-core i5, and now the entire GUI crawls.  Clicking on each tab (Dashboard, Main, etc) requires 10-15 seconds to process, and then many pages only load halfway, and then finish loading after another 10-15 seconds.

All the while sysload is under 0.5

I suspect your issue is something quite different, check the FAQ: Why after upgrading to a 6.2 version is my webGUI so slow?