Yet Another LIAN LI PC-Q25B build

Without a GPU for unRAID you'll have no way to see the console. I suppose it should work headless with all config through the webgui, but how would you edit the BIOS etc?

With a nVidia GPU you could edit the BIOS and then pass it thru when unRAID boots.

Good, BIOS is all I need. I never use the console; well, maybe back in unRAID 4.x.

Clearly if you install a dedicated graphics card you don't need on-chip graphics.    That card will, of course, use the only expansion slot on that AsRock board (or any other mini-ITX board).    If you need it to pass-through to a VM, then indeed it's okay to not bother with on-chip graphics; but if you don't need a graphics card for pass-through, then on-chip graphics keeps the expansion slot free and eliminates the need to buy a graphics card.

Thank you for the clarification! That is exactly what I was hoping.

Not to mention keeps power use to a minimum with integrated graphics.

True ... and many of us who build mini-ITX servers are very focused on keeping our power consumption as low as possible.    For example, my Q25B system idles under 20w  :)

My Q25B system doubles as a gaming rig. It's quite the potent machine! 16TB (usable) of spinning rust and a GTX 1070 shoved inside.

Just trying to find the optimal CPU upgrade path from my current i5-4430/Asus H87I/16GB RAM to a C236 WSI/32GB RAM

True ... and many of us who build mini-ITX servers are very focused on keeping our power consumption as low as possible.    For example, my Q25B system idles under 20w  :)

@garycase - hey Gary if you read this I am building a small system in the next couple weeks.  No more than four drives and some headroom for a few docker containers.  Just looking for MB/CPU and maybe Power Supply advice.  What would be the best low(ish) power bang for the buck MB and CPU these days?  Since I know you are an ECC memory fan let's assume ECC RAM as well.  Thanks!

@garycase - hey Gary if you read this I am building a small system in the next couple weeks.  No more than four drives and some headroom for a few docker containers.  Just looking for MB/CPU and maybe Power Supply advice.  What would be the best low(ish) power bang for the buck MB and CPU these days?  Since I know you are an ECC memory fan let's assume ECC RAM as well.  Thanks!

This is a nice motherboard for that:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813599009

Add a low-end Xeon or an i3 with ECC support and a couple modules of ECC memory and you'd have a very nice, very low power setup that can support all the drives you could stuff into a Q25B.  Be sure you get a processor with integrated graphics (any i3, but only some of the Xeons).    For a "lowish power" system a quad-core Xeon E3-1225 (PassMark 5944) or a dual-core i3-6100 (PassMark 5369) would be fine.

A 450-500w Silverstone or Corsair SFX power supply would provide all the power you'll need for that unit.