unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-rc4 Available

I do have one question.  Do any of these CPU's support the AVX2 instruction set?

No, they are very old CPUs.

Second question.  Might it be possible to run a test on the Celeron D430 using real hard drives.  I would suggest a 4 drive drive setup and perhaps 1TB drives (to keep the test time short and the drives reasonably 'modern').  That would give us a data point for a setup (which your tests show is moderately useable while still being significantly CPU limited) that reflects the real world usage of most unRAID servers. 

My reason for the request is to see if there are any other factors that might be impacting parity check speeds besides the CPU and bus speed.  (Like, say, drive latency...)

It won't be easy, but there's really no point, disk latency doesn't impact parity check speed (it does impact parity protected writes), I can easily estimate the results of the test you want, e.g., using 4 modern 1TB 7.2k rpm disks, parity check speed from start to say 90% would be CPU limited at 117.5MB/s, then it would steadily decrease to ~100MB/s at the end, average speed would be ~115MB/s.

I forgot to post these tests earlier, they were made with the first v6.2 beta, useful for users with bigger arrays, and again note that the RAID6 score is not very helpful:

dp3.png

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run diagnostics from your console and post the resulting zip file. This is stored in the /logs folder on your flash device.

I've got it working now. I ended up rearranging my entire network rack yesterday since I was running wire in the attic an adding APs to the house. I wanted to clean up the rack as well. Well, I only plugged in 2 ethernet cables, the IPMI and eth0. Its has a failover bond and I had multiple connections. Still wasn't working. so I decided to reboot, I still had the window for IPMI open so I sent reboot command. As it was going down it got hung up as shutting down VMs and dockers. I noticed it had also halted plugins. So I refreshed the page. Sure enough, its working now. So I hopped in and deleted the deluge plugin before shutdown finished. booted back up and web-ui now works! Docker still seems to have some issues.

I had docker updates and attempting to update gave me this

"Error: layers from manifest don't match image configuration"

I'll probably have to start over on the docker. luckily its just a ubiquiti unifi docker, still its gonna be some work.

I'm still getting the strange /var/local/emhttp/network.ini errors. sure wish I knew what that was about and how to fix it.

Editing that file does nothing as it just reverts back after reboot :/

any idea would be greatly appreciated!

Frosty

Run diagnostics from your console and post the resulting zip file. This is stored in the /logs folder on your flash device.

I've got it working now. I ended up rearranging my entire network rack yesterday since I was running wire in the attic an adding APs to the house. I wanted to clean up the rack as well. Well, I only plugged in 2 ethernet cables, the IPMI and eth0. Its has a failover bond and I had multiple connections. Still wasn't working. so I decided to reboot, I still had the window for IPMI open so I sent reboot command. As it was going down it got hung up as shutting down VMs and dockers. I noticed it had also halted plugins. So I refreshed the page. Sure enough, its working now. So I hopped in and deleted the deluge plugin before shutdown finished. booted back up and web-ui now works! Docker still seems to have some issues.

I had docker updates and attempting to update gave me this

"Error: layers from manifest don't match image configuration"

I'll probably have to start over on the docker. luckily its just a ubiquiti unifi docker, still its gonna be some work.

I'm still getting the strange /var/local/emhttp/network.ini errors. sure wish I knew what that was about and how to fix it.

Editing that file does nothing as it just reverts back after reboot :/

any idea would be greatly appreciated!

Frosty

The manifest layer bug is fixed in the recent RCs, it's a hangover from 6.1.9  You need to delete your docker.img and recreate it, pull your container again.  You won't need to reconfigure it as your appdata should be untouched.  Five minutes work.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing my issue? Can I go back to RC3?

Hi there,

I just upgraded from RC3 to RC4 and although everything upgraded without issue, I am now unable to launch my Windows 10 VM with VGA passthrough which worked fine before the upgrade. I did a plugin upgrade.

Attached are my diagnostic file, error message, and VM config.

Please let me know what I can do to get this working again.

Thanks

It's still a mystery how you were able to get your on-board audio to passthrough to a VM in 6.2-rc3.  I bet if you change your assigned Sound Card to None (or the GPU HDMI) you'll be able to start your VM.

The few Skylake device listings I saw now group the on-board audio with the memory controller and smbus making it just about impossible to passthrough to a VM.  I don't even think enabling ACS override setting (Advanced setting on the VM Settings page) would help break apart the IOMMU group the audio device sits in because it's setup as a separate 'function' on the ISA bus device instead of it being a separate device altogether.  Not sure what Intel was thinking...

Sorry if I am interjecting here without seeing the full story, but I was running RC3 with 2 windows VM's running, with successful HDMI video/audio passthrough. Running RC4 now with the same successful setup.

I did have an issue on both upgrades where 1 VM would not start(different VM each time). I fixed by unassigning the video card, starting VM, stopping VM, reassigning the video card.

Upgraded to RC4 from RC3. Everything appears to work fine.

Also added a 2nd parity drive  :)

Noticed something in my log files that are filling them up and not sure if there is something I can do on my end.

My syslog has a ton of entries like this:

Aug 23 00:41:55 FileSvr kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: URB transfer length is wrong, xHC issue? req. len = 0, act. len = 4294967288

And my VM log has a ton of these entries:

libusb: error [op_clear_halt] clear_halt failed error -1 errno 71

Attaching my diagnostics here minus the vm log. I'll post the vm log in a separate post.

Gary

filesvr-diagnostics-20160823-0455.zip

Hi there,

I just upgraded from RC3 to RC4 and although everything upgraded without issue, I am now unable to launch my Windows 10 VM with VGA passthrough which worked fine before the upgrade. I did a plugin upgrade.

Thanks

It's still a mystery how you were able to get your on-board audio to passthrough to a VM in 6.2-rc3.  I bet if you change your assigned Sound Card to None (or the GPU HDMI) you'll be able to start your VM.

The few Skylake device listings I saw now group the on-board audio with the memory controller and smbus making it just about impossible to passthrough to a VM.  I don't even think enabling ACS override setting (Advanced setting on the VM Settings page) would help break apart the IOMMU group the audio device sits in because it's setup as a separate 'function' on the ISA bus device instead of it being a separate device altogether.  Not sure what Intel was thinking...

Thanks eschultz! That did work. However I was able to get my audio chip to passthrough prior to upgrading which is really unfortunate as I had speakers plugged it to the motherboard. Any idea why the update would of caused this to break?

My monitor doesn't have audio - is there a way to use one of my HDMI ports on the video card to output audio to the speakers?

Thanks again

The manifest layer bug is fixed in the recent RCs, it's a hangover from 6.1.9  You need to delete your docker.img and recreate it, pull your container again.  You won't need to reconfigure it as your appdata should be untouched.  Five minutes work.

Thanks, worked like a champ! any idea on the network.ini file errors?

Also is there a bugzilla or something for unraid? I've got KVM doing some strange stuff. I just started a new VM and its seeing

"Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 00 on CPU 0.

Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

Dazed and Confused, but trying to continue."

It just keeps popping up in my journal over and over in the guest VM.

... any idea on the network.ini file errors?

From your earlier diagnostics I see the network settings are incomplete.

Easiest way to correct is by re-applying the settings in the GUI. See Settings -> eth0. This will also give you the opportunity to choose which interfaces you want to let participate in the bond. You have 4 but can decide to reduce this number and use the additional interfaces for separate network connections.

To make changes to the network settings, both Docker and VM needs to be stopped (see their respective settings pages to disable temporary the service or simply stop the array).

Hi there,

Thanks

Thanks eschultz! That did work. However I was able to get my audio chip to passthrough prior to upgrading which is really unfortunate as I had speakers plugged it to the motherboard. Any idea why the update would of caused this to break?

My monitor doesn't have audio - is there a way to use one of my HDMI ports on the video card to output audio to the speakers?

Thanks again

There should be hdmi to analog audio adapters available, but don't know any myself.

You could also buy a USB audio dongle.

It seem that it was something with the new kernel thar broke the pass through. Another user used the kernel from rc3 and then pass through worked again.

NFS, still not working in RC4. It exports the share but the sub folders are empty, downgraded back to 6.1.9, and it works again

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

In RC4 Video is visable as the mount point, i can browse into Movies, i click on Movies and it's empty

In 6.1.9 Video is visable as the mount point, i can browse into Movies, i click on Movies and i see 2 folders Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D both are full of movies

NFS, still not working in RC4. It exports the share but the sub folders are empty, downgraded back to 6.1.9, and it works again

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

In RC4 Video is visable as the mount point, i can browse into Movies, i click on Movies and it's empty

In 6.1.9 Video is visable as the mount point, i can browse into Movies, i click on Movies and i see 2 folders Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D both are full of movies

Works for me.  How are you "browsing" the share?

Hi there,

Thanks

Thanks again

There should be hdmi to analog audio adapters available, but don't know any myself.

You could also buy a USB audio dongle.

It seem that it was something with the new kernel thar broke the pass through. Another user used the kernel from rc3 and then pass through worked again.

Discussion of this issue is here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51322.0

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

it didnt work in RC3 either

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

Try to access via NFS, then post your diagnostics.zip file.  Also include contents of /etc/exports file.  thx.

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

Try to access via NFS, then post your diagnostics.zip file.  Also include contents of /etc/exports file.  thx.

where would i find this diag zip file?

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

"/mnt/user/Video" -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=100
*(sec=sys,rw,insecure,anongid=100,anonuid=99,all_squash)

test_server-diagnostics-20160824-1131.zip

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

Nothing obviously wrong.  What was the last 6.2 release where it worked?

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

never, went from 6.1.9 to RC2 didnt work, then went back to 6.1.9 and it worked, the went to RC3 didnt work went back to 6.1.9 and it worked, went to RC4 didnt work, back to 6.1.9 and it works. no config changes at all

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

never, went from 6.1.9 to RC2 didnt work, then went back to 6.1.9 and it worked, the went to RC3 didnt work went back to 6.1.9 and it worked, went to RC4 didnt work, back to 6.1.9 and it works. no config changes at all

What are the file permissions underneath the directories that appear empty?

For directories, should be:

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users ...

For files:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users ...

(the user can be something other than 'nobody' but group needs to be 'users').

Other than that, I don't know how to diagnose this problem in absence of having that specific media player.  Maybe someone has similar issues on other media players?  Maybe check forum for that media player?  Maybe switch to SMB protocol?