unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-rc4 Available

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Another New Config "Retain current configuration" failed for me, and I believe there's a bug in it.  This time I was testing, so I could record the exact keystrokes and mouse clicks to use, and I had selected the 'All' option and closed, and then wanted to see it again.  I had NOT clicked the 'Apply' button.  I used the browser Back button, then reselected what I wanted , then clicked the Apply button then the Done button.  But when I went to the Main screen it was empty, no assignments at all.  I then checked the config folder and examined the super.dat and the super.old, and found that BOTH were empty.  I suspect that the New Config tool had *prematurely* renamed the super.dat file to old, even though Apply had not been clicked, which meant that when I next selected a Retain option and clicked Apply, the super.dat was renamed again, losing the super.old file that actually had my assignments.  I really like this feature, but so far it has not once worked correctly.  I realize it's brand new, and we're not final, and my systems like to be different!

I need to make tests myself to confirm, but I believe what happened is you are looking at cached information of the browser when using its back and forward buttons.

In this case the cached information showed everything as selected, while in reality none was selected. The easiest way to prevent this from happening (read: browser stays in sync) is by clicking the Done button to leave the page.

... Another New Config "Retain current configuration" failed for me, and I believe there's a bug in it.  This time I was testing, so I could record the exact keystrokes and mouse clicks to use, and I had selected the 'All' option and closed, and then wanted to see it again.  I had NOT clicked the 'Apply' button.  I used the browser Back button, then reselected what I wanted , then clicked the Apply button then the Done button.  But when I went to the Main screen it was empty, no assignments at all.  I then checked the config folder and examined the super.dat and the super.old, and found that BOTH were empty.  I suspect that the New Config tool had *prematurely* renamed the super.dat file to old, even though Apply had not been clicked, which meant that when I next selected a Retain option and clicked Apply, the super.dat was renamed again, losing the super.old file that actually had my assignments.  I really like this feature, but so far it has not once worked correctly.  I realize it's brand new, and we're not final, and my systems like to be different!

I need to make tests myself to confirm, but I believe what happened is you are looking at cached information of the browser when using its back and forward buttons.

In this case the cached information showed everything as selected, while in reality none was selected. The easiest way to prevent this from happening (read: browser stays in sync) is by clicking the Done button to leave the page.

I tried a couple more times, and lost the assignments each time.  It starts with picture 1 below, then I click on All, then click on the box for All, then click on either the <close...> or the first All again to close the drop down, then click the Yes, I want to do this box, and get picture 2.  The super.dat is still fine.  As soon as I click the Apply button, it goes back to picture 1, exactly, and super.dat is now empty!  This was on Firefox, and I repeated it several times, with slight variations in clicking, but no change in behavior.  I restore by copying back super.dat from a saved copy, then Shift-reloading the Main screen (it works!).

Finally, I tried the same thing in Chrome, and got the same results, same pictures and empty super.dat, except this time I did not click the Done button, I clicked the Main tab instead, and it showed my assignments.  I unassigned one of them and started the array, and super.dat was repopulated, correctly!

By the way, isn't there a way to mark various elements of the page as needing to be always reloaded, or not cacheable?  I don't know myself, but it seems like that would solve certain problems (like this maybe?), like also the uptime display, for which I always have to Shift-reload each time I return to the Main screen to get it right.

unRAID-retain1.jpg.fa99ee5b60e977c36f85d04c54fd9873.jpg

unRAID-retain2.jpg.c4acefd7e029d19a9ca0bdb080d5de8e.jpg

I think the behaviour you are describing is exactly what is expected!

After you have clicked on the Apply button you should then click on the Done button to close that dialog.  Switching to the Main tab should show the drives still assigned as they would be when setting up an array from scratch and the array not started.    It is when you try and start the array from the Main tab that the super.dat gets written.

I tried a couple more times, and lost the assignments each time.  It starts with picture 1 below, then I click on All, then click on the box for All, then click on either the <close...> or the first All again to close the drop down, then click the Yes, I want to do this box, and get picture 2.

After pressing Apply the array will be reset (super.dat = empty) and the slots will be prepopulated with the existing assignments (depending on your choice).

The screens on NewConfig should look like the attached pictures.

However... (bug spoiler) the second picture doesn't occur because the array status $var['mdState'] isn't updated when the page view returns after the submit, and hence you still see the previous message. Need to work with LT to see how to address this. To be clear, it is just a display thing in the GUI. The execution is done alright.

Finally, I tried the same thing in Chrome, and got the same results, same pictures and empty super.dat, except this time I did not click the Done button, I clicked the Main tab instead, and it showed my assignments.  I unassigned one of them and started the array, and super.dat was repopulated, correctly!

There is a possible 'race condition' which may prevent the population of the slots. For this I've made a correction.

... like also the uptime display, for which I always have to Shift-reload each time I return to the Main screen to get it right.

The uptime is generated locally by javascript and should adjust itself automatically whenever time drift occurs due to the browser not refreshing. This is something which e.g. Chrome does, it stops execution of javascript as soon as the browser or page looses focus.

I tested Chrome, Firefox and Edge, they all do update the time correctly, even when focus is away and returned after some time. Not sure why it isn't working for you.

newconfig1.png.65c75ee81bdd2339df4cecbc1eeb840e.png

newconfig2.png.d61417ce1516ae92f37de3590134eb69.png

... like also the uptime display, for which I always have to Shift-reload each time I return to the Main screen to get it right.

The uptime is generated locally by javascript and should adjust itself automatically whenever time drift occurs due to the browser not refreshing. This is something which e.g. Chrome does, it stops execution of javascript as soon as the browser or page looses focus.

I tested Chrome, Firefox and Edge, they all do update the time correctly, even when focus is away and returned after some time. Not sure why it isn't working for you.

A test case that should be repeatable for you, using the boot GUI.

1. Boot the server, making sure the GUI is selected

2. When Main screen appears, notice that uptime is one minute, wait if necessary

3. Select the Settings tab, and wait here for 5 minutes, watch the uptime increase to 5 or 6 minutes

4. Click the Back button, and notice that it says uptime is one minute

5. Wait 2 minutes, watch uptime increment to 3 minutes

6. Click the Settings tab again, notice the time is correct and approaching 10 minutes

7. Wait a minute or 2 more

8. Click the Back button - and notice the uptime is again at one minute, not even the 3 or 4 minutes you last saw here

9. Watch it increment up from one minute again

You can keep playing with this, and every time you click back to Main, it's still what it originally started at, before the first click away from it.  The only way to get the original Main screen to show the correct uptime is to use Shift-reload, which I do a lot (although I know it's a very minor thing).

This is with the same boot GUI as everyone, undoctored, no settings changed, or anything added.  I *think* I've proven my case this time!    ;)

Another minor nit - the History button.  After a New Config (with Retain All or not), the History button and associated text disappears, and all that is left is a faint gray line (in the Array Operations section).  If I fake a Parity Check (start one, then abort it fairly quickly), then the History Button comes back, and all of my parity history is again available, which is what I want.  I wouldn't want a New Config to reset it.

Both of these were discovered in 6.2-rc4 (may have occurred before), but also occur in 6.2-rc5.

On the New Config/Retain issue, itimpi, I've come to realize that yes it's the current behavior and I understand it better now, but what was not correct is that all assignments on the Main page were blank in almost all attempts.  It worked correctly only once.  In one other case, all but one assignment was retained.  I'm hopeful that the race condition corrected will fix this for me.

There's your problem. What happens if you click on the main link instead of using the back button on your browser?

Not saying it's correct, but there are MANY websites that flat out break if you use the browser's back button instead of using the links to navigate the site.

This is with the same boot GUI as everyone, undoctored, no settings changed, or anything added.  I *think* I've proven my case this time!    ;)

Sure, point proven :)

but... it happens because you use the browser's back button, which makes it load a cached version of the page and hence the older time (the javascript function starts counting from the last time stamp obtained from the server). When clicking a menu button, e.g. Main or Dashboard the server time stamp is always renewed, resulting in time staying in sync.

Another minor nit - the History button.  After a New Config (with Retain All or not), the History button and associated text disappears, and all that is left is a faint gray line (in the Array Operations section).  If I fake a Parity Check (start one, then abort it fairly quickly), then the History Button comes back, and all of my parity history is again available, which is what I want.  I wouldn't want a New Config to reset it.

I need to test but it sounds like a bug, the history button should stay visible at all times (if there is a history file that means).

On the New Config/Retain issue, itimpi, I've come to realize that yes it's the current behavior and I understand it better now, but what was not correct is that all assignments on the Main page were blank in almost all attempts.  It worked correctly only once.  In one other case, all but one assignment was retained.  I'm hopeful that the race condition corrected will fix this for me.

I think you are the perfect tester :D

If you like I'll send you the updated page and you can make a (quick) test to verify the correctness.

There's your problem. What happens if you click on the main link instead of using the back button on your browser?

Not saying it's correct, but there are MANY websites that flat out break if you use the browser's back button instead of using the links to navigate the site.

Then they should be fixed!  ;D

Because I'm probably going to keep using the Back button, because I've been doing that for more than 20 years, because that's how the Internet was supposed to work!?!  Yes clicking on the Main tab will have the correct time, and yes there are those that think I'm OCD, but I do like keeping each tab back to its top, with as short a history as possible.  But if bonienl says that's how it has to be, I'll adapt!    ;)    (I suspect I'll still be sneaking in a shift-reload now and then!  Besides, it sometimes fixes other issues too.)

I think you are the perfect tester :D

If you like I'll send you the updated page and you can make a (quick) test to verify the correctness.

I'd like to test it, but don't know when I would, as (being a New Config operation) it's not something you can do lightly, without a test setup.  When I can do it, I'll let you know, but I suspect there will be a new version out before I'm ready, and I can just test with that.

... but I do like keeping each tab back to its top, with as short a history as possible.  But if bonienl says that's how it has to be, I'll adapt!

If I could *fix* the browser's behavior I would, but those browser guys are way smarter than I am. Sorry you have to live with my stupidity  ;)

I'd like to test it, but don't know when I would, as (being a New Config operation) it's not something you can do lightly, without a test setup.  When I can do it, I'll let you know, but I suspect there will be a new version out before I'm ready, and I can just test with that.

Not a problem, let me know if you are able to test or simply wait for the final version. As we all know this will come Soon