unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-rc4 Available

NFS, still not working in RC4. It exports the share but the sub folders are empty, downgraded back to 6.1.9, and it works again

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

In RC4 Video is visable as the mount point, i can browse into Movies, i click on Movies and it's empty

In 6.1.9 Video is visable as the mount point, i can browse into Movies, i click on Movies and i see 2 folders Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D both are full of movies

Works for me.  How are you "browsing" the share?

Through a mede8er 800X3D

it didnt work in RC3 either

Try to access via NFS, then post your diagnostics.zip file.  Also include contents of /etc/exports file.  thx.

"/mnt/user/Video" -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=100
*(sec=sys,rw,insecure,anongid=100,anonuid=99,all_squash)

Nothing obviously wrong.  What was the last 6.2 release where it worked?

never, went from 6.1.9 to RC2 didnt work, then went back to 6.1.9 and it worked, the went to RC3 didnt work went back to 6.1.9 and it worked, went to RC4 didnt work, back to 6.1.9 and it works. no config changes at all

What are the file permissions underneath the directories that appear empty?

For directories, should be:

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users ...

For files:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users ...

(the user can be something other than 'nobody' but group needs to be 'users').

Other than that, I don't know how to diagnose this problem in absence of having that specific media player.  Maybe someone has similar issues on other media players?  Maybe check forum for that media player?  Maybe switch to SMB protocol?

I ran the permissions script, no change, how can it be the player if it works flawlessly on all versions pre 6.2? Whats the point of using a NFS server if i have to use SMB? I will just stick with 6.1.9 till this is fixed...

Fyi there are numerous threads about nfs issues with 6.2

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran the permissions script, no change, how can it be the player if it works flawlessly on all versions pre 6.2? Whats the point of using a NFS server if i have to use SMB? I will just stick with 6.1.9 till this is fixed...

Fyi there are numerous threads about nfs issues with 6.2

I know this may not be of any help or comfort to you but I just checked on both of my servers that are currently running 6.2 rc4.  I can access all of the files from my Netgear NTV-550 media players via NFS.  The network path for both servers are basically as follows:

Media

All Movies

0-9

|

|

V-Z

Family movies

|

etc....

I had setup the NFS paths many years ago when SMB had performance issues but I have found that the server side updates to SBM had rendered those issues moot.  And this was without any updates to the SMB in the Netgear boxes. 

I also have the feeling (from some things I have read) that SMB is seeing far more development and deployment on all OS platforms than NFS is.  I realize that this is because of Windows predominance in the corporate world but I think that, over the years, SMB has evolved and has become very efficient, secure and fairly flexible in most situations.  That is not to say that it doesn't have issues because there are times when issues arise whose solutions seem closer to witchcraft than science!  (Case in point, SMB and Windows 10 are having some teething problems...) 

So take a good look at SMB if your boxes will support it.  (And set your unRAID server to be the Local Master.  Settings >> SMB >> 'Workgroup Settings')

I ran the permissions script, no change,

Then the permissions,  user, group appear as I described?  I'm not asking to create work - maybe there's a problem in the new permissions script.

If you are willing to install some test releases we can start downgrading certain components to try and figure where the problem is introduced.  If you can do this please send me an email: [email protected]

... So take a good look at SMB if your boxes will support it.  (And set your unRAID server to be the Local Master.  Settings >> SMB >> 'Workgroup Settings')

I like to elaborate a little on that. Enabling the Local Master setting in unRAID tells it to participate in the election, but no guarantees it will become the local master.

You can add a higher election priority in the SMB extra configuration, see settings -> SMB -> SMB Extras.

[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
os level = 255

The above ensures unRAID wins the election. We don't need 50 states and 538 electors for unRAID to win  ;)

... So take a good look at SMB if your boxes will support it.  (And set your unRAID server to be the Local Master.  Settings >> SMB >> 'Workgroup Settings')

I like to elaborate a little on that. Enabling the Local Master setting in unRAID tells it to participate in the election, but no guarantees it will become the local master.

You can add a higher election priority in the SMB extra configuration, see settings -> SMB -> SMB Extras.

[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
os level = 255

The above ensures unRAID wins the election. We don't need 50 states and 538 electors for unRAID to win  ;)

The key there is 'os level'.  Also note caveat with 'wins support'; from smbd.conf man page:

wins support (G)

This boolean controls if the nmbd(8) process in Samba will act as a WINS server. You should not set

this to yes unless you have a multi-subnetted network and you wish a particular nmbd to be your WINS

server. Note that you should NEVER set this to yes on more than one machine in your network.

Default: wins support = no

NFS, still not working in RC4. It exports the share but the sub folders are empty, downgraded back to 6.1.9, and it works again

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

In RC4 Video is visable as the mount point, i can browse into Movies, i click on Movies and it's empty

In 6.1.9 Video is visable as the mount point, i can browse into Movies, i click on Movies and i see 2 folders Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D both are full of movies

Through a mede8er 800X3D

Try to access via NFS, then post your diagnostics.zip file.  Also include contents of /etc/exports file.  thx.

never, went from 6.1.9 to RC2 didnt work, then went back to 6.1.9 and it worked, the went to RC3 didnt work went back to 6.1.9 and it worked, went to RC4 didnt work, back to 6.1.9 and it works. no config changes at all

For files:

Other than that, I don't know how to diagnose this problem in absence of having that specific media player.  Maybe someone has similar issues on other media players?  Maybe check forum for that media player?  Maybe switch to SMB protocol?

I'll try NFS on my 600x3d in the weekend.

Then the permissions,  user, group appear as I described?  I'm not asking to create work - maybe there's a problem in the new permissions script.

If you are willing to install some test releases we can start downgrading certain components to try and figure where the problem is introduced.  If you can do this please send me an email: [email protected]

I don't have a Mede8er but a Dune Prime.

I setup a NFS share for my series which has several levels in its folder structure (similar to the structure in question here) and I can access all folder levels and files without problem from the Dune, yeah even play them :)

It seems something between unRAID and your player.

Just a thought... are using a default MTU size of 1500 on your unRAID server?

I had initially set a larger MTU size which the Dune didn't like, after changing the unRAID setting AND power off/on the Dune it all worked.

I setup a NFS share for my series which has several levels in its folder structure (similar to the structure in question here) and I can access all folder levels and files without problem from the Dune, yeah even play them :)

I had initially set a larger MTU size which the Dune didn't like, after changing the unRAID setting AND power off/on the Dune it all worked.

MTU is default, my main question here is why i never has a issue till 6.2. The only thing that changed  is the unraid os.

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

For files:

That will be extremely helpful, thank you

MTU is default, my main question here is why i never has a issue till 6.2. The only thing that changed  is the unraid os.

I can't explain why your situation isn't working, I can only confirm that my situation works.

I remember from the past people played with read/write permissions on NFS, but I can't find those. Perhaps somebody remembers?

Btw this story sounds very similar to this https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25739.0

Perhaps the earlier advice may help here too?

Please create the file 'config/extra.cfg' on your flash and put this line in there:

shfsExtra=-logging 3

Then Stop/Start your array and then browse with your media player to make the problem happen.  This will generate a large amount of debugging lines in your system log.  Stop array, remove the 'extra.cfg' file, and Start array to restore normal operation, then send the system log to me:  [email protected]

Unforunately no syslog for this, but after 2 days of running my office server on rc4 I had a hard lockup. Screen saver on the VM monitor was locked and unresponsive, could not access the gui via alternate device, could not ssh in on another laptop, and oddly we lost our internet connect as well while the server was in this locked up state. I reset button'ed the server and immediately the internet came back up, unRAID loaded as normal, no errors or issues in the log file. This server only running unRAID and a Win10VM which has been there for about 5months. Nothing running in dockers, and only plugins would be things like CA, nerdpack, and system profile. All of which have been installed for months. The only thing that has changed recently was the update from rc3 to rc4. The server (like most) is attached to a router, which is in turn attached to the fiber modem. All other devices are routed through the router via ethernet or wifi. I know finding out what caused the hard crash is about impossible at this point without a syslog, etc., but to be honest, I'm more curious as to why the internet became inaccessible. Any ideas why the server box lockup would affect the internet connection?

Btw this story sounds very similar to this https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25739.0

Perhaps the earlier advice may help here too?

Please create the file 'config/extra.cfg' on your flash and put this line in there:

shfsExtra=-logging 3

Then Stop/Start your array and then browse with your media player to make the problem happen.  This will generate a large amount of debugging lines in your system log.  Stop array, remove the 'extra.cfg' file, and Start array to restore normal operation, then send the system log to me:  [email protected]

Im working with tom now, i sent him the extra logging, we have gotten as far as if i use a disk share instead of a user share it works as expected, still not a solution for me as i don't use disk shares. But progress

docker.img is in-use, cannot mount

unRAID OS Version:

Unraid: 6.2.0-rc4

Memory: 16 GB (max. installable capacity 32 GB)

Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

Description:

Docker will not start because img file is in use

How to reproduce:

Everytime I try to start the NAS or if I enable docker in the settings

Expected results:

Docker and Container will start

Actual results:

Nothing starts

Other information:This error is just like that reported by KNEX666 against RC2. I had earlier problems with the Cache Drive reporting full (it wasn't). I temporarily made the docker system work by creating some space on the Cache Drive but messages as follows are still happening:

Aug 25 15:51:45 Media shfs/user: share cache full

The Cache is 256GB and sits at 37% according to STATS and I would say that is about right.

I am currently deleting more files and copying the remainder to the main drives with a plan to run a diagnostic repair or reformat of the cache and then copy back. Is there some obvious thing I didn't do, I upgraded to RC4 from 6.1.9 about a week ago.

No, I only have Plex, Filebot and Logitech Media Server dockers. The Docker file is 20GB. I've deleted and recreated this but the errors remain. To my mind the problem is with the SSD filesystem and no error indicates any other path, plus creating space on the SSD allowed the dockers to start. But, the problem does seem to be Docker related.

Unforunately no syslog for this, but after 2 days of running my office server on rc4 I had a hard lockup. Screen saver on the VM monitor was locked and unresponsive, could not access the gui via alternate device, could not ssh in on another laptop, and oddly we lost our internet connect as well while the server was in this locked up state. I reset button'ed the server and immediately the internet came back up, unRAID loaded as normal, no errors or issues in the log file. This server only running unRAID and a Win10VM which has been there for about 5months. Nothing running in dockers, and only plugins would be things like CA, nerdpack, and system profile. All of which have been installed for months. The only thing that has changed recently was the update from rc3 to rc4. The server (like most) is attached to a router, which is in turn attached to the fiber modem. All other devices are routed through the router via ethernet or wifi. I know finding out what caused the hard crash is about impossible at this point without a syslog, etc., but to be honest, I'm more curious as to why the internet became inaccessible. Any ideas why the server box lockup would affect the internet connection?

It can't but a power spike might cause both.

No, I only have Plex, Filebot and Logitech Media Server dockers. The Docker file is 20GB. I've deleted and recreated this but the errors remain. To my mind the problem is with the SSD filesystem and no error indicates any other path, plus creating space on the SSD allowed the dockers to start. But, the problem does seem to be Docker related.

It can be deceptive.  The cache drive or docker.img can be full eventhough the stats reports it is fine (think it's an issue with btrfs but not sure). In my case I had the Emby server docker installed which creates many thousands of tiny files.

I think this either that the metadata space allocation is used because of all the tiny files even though there is still plenty of data space left or the files are wasting a lot of space on disk because they are smaller than the filesystem block size. In my case docker and vm's would crash even though it was being reported that I still had 80GB of free space.

Long story short I deleted the Emby Server docker and the associated appdata folder and haven't had an issue since.

I don't suppose you noticed whether the network activity LEDs on your router were going nuts, did you? I've seen issues the past where network hosts can get stuck continuously sending the same packet out their network interface at full line rate, which at 100Mbps or 1Gbps would probably choke a residential router's packet processor. I've personally only seen this with lab equipment at work, never with unRAID. But if we're theorizing that the trigger was a power surge/lightning strike then I'd wager it's possible.

Just a thought,

-A

A bit of an update. I tried to re-format the cache drive, fell over the need to select only one pool device but eventually selected xfs and nothing happened. I did all the other bits of removing the cache, bringing the array back on line and selecting Format. It selects for about a second and resets. It certainly didn't format the drive. Anyway, reselected btfs and put the cache back. Eerything worked but in the process of copying files I've deleted a lot and created a bit of cache space. So no recurring log errors and we'll see how it goes.

Bit odd that the Format didn't work, would I need to remove the drive and fromat it elsewhere?

The Docker at 20GB will run Emby too, 'cos I have been there but it's no longer installed. I've also had other apps running with Emby so I doubt that was the problem.

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

For files:

I can confirm it's the same problem here.

share name:

Video

Subfolders:

Movies

Blu-ray

Blu-ray 3D

Through a mede8er 800X3D

For files:

What player are you using?  Can you obtain any logs or other info on why the player is not displaying file names?

What player are you using?  Can you obtain any logs or other info on why the player is not displaying file names?

It's the same player as spl147 except it's without wifi (If I remember correctly).

I played with different settings on both the media player and unraid, but got the same result all the time. Empty folder.

But... I didn't do a exportfs -a after editing /etc/exports.

After I turned on the extra logging I had a look at the log and found this entry when browsing the NFS share from the media player. You might have it already from spl147's logs.

Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 root: Starting NFS server daemons:
Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 root:   /usr/sbin/exportfs -r
Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 root:   /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8
Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 root:   /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: Version 1.3.3 starting
Aug 28 15:36:04 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.114:728 for /mnt/user/Movies (/mnt/user/Movies)
Aug 28 15:41:41 Server1 root: exportfs: Failed to resolve -async,no_subtree_check
Aug 28 15:41:41 Server1 root: exportfs: Failed to resolve -async,no_subtree_check
Aug 28 15:41:42 Server1 root: exportfs: Failed to resolve -async,no_subtree_check
Aug 28 15:41:42 Server1 root: exportfs: Failed to resolve -async,no_subtree_check
Aug 28 15:42:01 Server1 root: exportfs: Failed to resolve -async,no_subtree_check
Aug 28 15:42:01 Server1 root: exportfs: Failed to resolve -async,no_subtree_check
Aug 28 15:44:59 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: No host name given with /mnt/user/Movies (ro,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_locks,acl,no_pnfs,fsid=100,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534,sec=sys,ro,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash), suggest *(ro,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_locks,acl,no_pnfs,fsid=100,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534,sec=sys,ro,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash) to avoid warning
Aug 28 15:44:59 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.114:749 for /mnt/user/Movies (/mnt/user/Movies)
Aug 28 15:45:06 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.114:771 for /mnt/user/Movies (/mnt/user/Movies)

I'm not sure if I can get any logs from the media player. I'll check if it's somehow possible.

It's the same player as spl147 except it's without wifi (If I remember correctly).

I played with different settings on both the media player and unraid, but got the same result all the time. Empty folder.

But... I didn't do a exportfs -a after editing /etc/exports.

After I turned on the extra logging I had a look at the log and found this entry when browsing the NFS share from the media player. You might have it already from spl147's logs.

Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 root: Starting NFS server daemons:
Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 root:   /usr/sbin/exportfs -r
Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 root:   /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8
Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 root:   /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
Aug 28 15:35:23 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: Version 1.3.3 starting
Aug 28 15:36:04 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.114:728 for /mnt/user/Movies (/mnt/user/Movies)
Aug 28 15:44:59 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: No host name given with /mnt/user/Movies (ro,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_locks,acl,no_pnfs,fsid=100,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534,sec=sys,ro,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash), suggest *(ro,async,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_locks,acl,no_pnfs,fsid=100,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534,sec=sys,ro,secure,root_squash,no_all_squash) to avoid warning
Aug 28 15:44:59 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.114:749 for /mnt/user/Movies (/mnt/user/Movies)
Aug 28 15:45:06 Server1 rpc.mountd[10882]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.114:771 for /mnt/user/Movies (/mnt/user/Movies)

I'm not sure if I can get any logs from the media player. I'll check if it's somehow possible.

If the exports file was not right those messages are to be expected.