How to reset unRaid

I'm running unRaid 6.1.9. Parity x1, data x5, cache x1. Everything is working, parity is checked and valid.

How do I go about resetting everything without loosing data on my data drives? I have some plugins, but nothing fancy like dockers, VMs, or the like. They would be easy to reinstall and reconfigure.

I'm trying to chase down some performance issues and this is the last thing to try before buying new hardware.

As long as you know what drive goes where. Specifically the parity and cache drives but the data drives are nice too.  You don't need to worry about starting over.  With unRAID v5 I essentially did that every time I upgraded.  I would do a backup of the flash drive and then I pulled the key file off of it and then formatted it and installed from scratch each time.  As long as I had the drive assignments it was fine.  I just re-attached the drives to the correct slots, used the "parity is valid" check box and restarted with the new version.  If unRAID didn't automatically start a parity check I would tell it to do one to confirm everything is still OK.  I just made sure to do a non-correcting parity check so I could go back if needed.

Thanks!

How does it know what my user shares and login/password are? Are these stored on the parity drive?

The parity drive doesn't contain any files. It is just a bunch of bits that correspond to the XOR of the bits of all other drives. Take a look at how parity works in the documentation. It isn't complicated at all and everything makes a lot more sense if you understand parity.

You won't have a password if you start from a clean install.

Any top level folder on cache or any array disk is automatically part of a user share named for that folder. If you don't make settings for a user share it will have default settings.

You would lose all these by resetting everything.  Keep a copy of your config folder if you wish to restore them

If you have made changes to the default settings of user shares, these will be lost, but the user shares themselves will be re-created with default settings based on the top level names of the folders on your disks.

And by default no password is set for user root, this needs to be re-entered.

Starting with an "empty" system won't loose any data on your disks, but requires you to re-assign disks and settings. This is a good approach when to ensure that no legacy stuff or installations are lingering around, and have a true 'clean' machine.

Great, your input is very appreciated everyone. I will make sure I have my drive names/locations documented. It sounds like "losing" user shares won't be a problem. They are not setup in any special way.

Crossing my fingers I solve my performance problems this weekend and can save the money I was putting towards new server hardware for a new gaming monitor instead. I built this server back in 2010 so it has been through a few software updates to say the least.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Backed up my flash files and just recently cannot login to root tried my backed files  6.9.2 and 6.11.5 then reformated flash and copy prokey and deleted the 3 files.

Reboot server and it prompts for new pw it accepts and then try to login and put in new root pw and no response and no error message just blank

Use roboform to save my pw's. Can someone suggest what I should do?

worked on this for 1 solid hour and got no where need some help

image.thumb.png.e560cb50ad65b28df45f48342b4783a5.png